Lewis Carroll Alice in wonderland

Browsing on you tube I found 'The secret world of Lewis Carroll'.(by the 'Nations)

Oh my god! At first I found it very interesting ,but later on it was revealed he was thought to be in love with the little girl who he based the book on.,it gets worse,watch it and make your own mind up.

There was a very interesting TV prog about this. It seems at some point that the family of Alice Liddel, who is the subject for Alice in the books and whom he photographed, cut off contact with him. Seems to have blown over though and there is some speculation that Dodgson was interested in the Liddell kids' governess, or even Alice's older sister. It seems to me that some people have decided he was an out and out paedophile, whilst others see him as pretty innocent and naive, or at least someone who was obsessed, but did not act on his obsessions. Worth remembering that the whole social and moral climate was very different in mid 19th C England.

This is interesting.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2001/oct/29/gender.uk

And so is this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alice_Liddell#Relationship_with_Lewis_Carroll

Who knows.

Col

• Upvote 1

Charles Dodgson was by birth from Cheshire, hence the cat, but effectively grew up in the north east, very close to where I live. Croft on Tees (We never say its Croft on Tees, just Croft) Some of the imagery he describes so magnificently can be ascribed to actual objects,

I feel it is unfair to judge him by todays standards. I do not think he was a paedophile, but a very accomplished man who adored and understood the mind of a child. He did feel comfortable with them, and not just Alice Lidell, but many other children.

He was also a man of his time, where he met the ones who laid the foundation for Surrealism, such as Millais and Rosetti amongst many others. Do not forget that he was one of the first professional photographers who posed many adults as well as children. He was also a very accomplished mathematician, who basically laid down the basic things that lead to the game of scrabble.

Odd, possibly, ill throughout his life, yes, but gifted with one of those exceptional intellects that can write a masterpiece such as Alice in Wonderland. If you have not read the original, get it and read it. I defy you not to laugh.

• Upvote 4

Mercurydancer. #4

I have two Alice in wonderland books,one is very old ,the other a more modern one,I have read the story over and over.It is wonderful and once read never forgotten.