I remember, when I was a child, buying my mum two mothering Sunday presents over consecutive years from Mr Ryder's hardware shop on the corner of Alfeton/Bobbers Mill Road. A huge traditional mixing bowl and a washing basket. She must have been chuffed to bits! :(

On mothering sunday afternoon, as a child, we'd go to St Stephen's church and all the children would collect a posy of flowers to give to their mum. She loved that!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's been 28 years since I last wished my Mum a Happy Mother's Day, and at that time thinking she would always be there for me, sadly that wasn't the case.   Been on a road trip this weekend to s

Wish I could have taken my mum out for lunch, as I always used to. Still find it very difficult to walk past displays of cards for mothering sunday knowing that I won't be buying one.   BUT.

#22. Same here for me Jill, my mother joined my dad 39 years ago, always a difficult time for me. Mrs Catfan's parents are still alive & kicking. Mind you, there is an 86 year old black

It's been 28 years since I last wished my Mum a Happy Mother's Day, and at that time thinking she would always be there for me, sadly that wasn't the case.  

Been on a road trip this weekend to see my boys.  Nice long lunch yesterday in Woburn Sands with eldest, his wife and our two grandchildren, plus our youngest son turned up unexpectedly.  Then down to Tring to stay the night with youngest, Chinese takeaway last evening, which none of us really needed!  This morning we took the dogs a long walk along the Grand Union Canal and around Tring Reservoirs, it was just the most beautiful sunny day to be out in the countryside.  Easy journey back up the motorway this afternoon and my Mother's Day bouquet is just so lovely.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

#22.

Same here for me Jill, my mother joined my dad 39 years ago, always a difficult time for me. Mrs Catfan's parents are still alive & kicking.

Mind you, there is an 86 year old black lady who Mrs C knows & she is like a mother to us both these days, she always refers to us as her adopted children ! She gladly received a lovely bouquet of flowers from us. During my last stay in hospital when she was told only close family allowed to visit, she said, I AM family I am his mother !

You can't argue with that !

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

Took my mam to see Roy wood at nottingham playhouse last night for Mother's Day.really really enjoyed it she did. He did loads of songs see my baby jive...blackberry way...ball park incident??...I can hear the grass grow... etc..too many to name but very very good 

• Upvote 2

Haven't really done Mother's Day for a few years.  Mum passed on a couple of years ago but didn't really know any of us for a few years before that due to Alzheimer's.

I'd often make a point of driving to Nottm. just to take Mum a bunch of flowers and some chocolates for Mother's Day.  She always had a sweet tooth and loved chocolates.  She always loved the surprise of the visit too.  But the last few years, even though we always went to see her.. she wasn't really with us.

On a brighter note, my Grandson sent a lovely card to my Daughter.  It said:

"Dear Mummy, I love you, but please will you stop bossing me about."  :)

Col

• Upvote 1

This is a bit late for mother's day but years ago, my friend and I caught a bus to bottom of Wilford Road and went over the half/penny bridge. After about 10mins walk we came across some house's, now one garden was full of daffs, being mother's day my friend and I thought that nobody would miss a  few daffs..  Mums loved those Daffs, but to this day I still feel guilty.  So if you reading this who owned the house I'm sorry for pinching your Daffs, but you did make my mum happy.

• Upvote 2

#30. Interesting picture. Note that the dresses are made from same-pattern material. I am guessing that CT's grandma made them using tissue patterns. The only difference is the row of buttons on one and plain front on the other. A proper 1940s style, as is the hair-do.

I remember when my son was small he made a mothers day card for me. It said,

My mother has red hair and is always smiling happy mothers day. 

• 11 months later...

Took my lovely mam some flowers yesterday, I wish I could have given her a hug as well.

Today, I will be spoilt rotten and I wont struggle one bit. :) I am being treated to a trip to Bewdley. A lovely historic town by the River Severn, where I will have fish, chips and mushy peas, outside by the river if the weather permits, if not, it will be in the car in a car park. A little walk around the streets and shops, from there we will pile back into the car and head up or down river (not sure which)? to Bridgnorth (another Historic Town) where we will partake in icecream from Knickerbockers. Today I will go for it and have nuts AND a choccy flake. There was a time when I would have a double cornet but can't manage that much any more.  Granddaughter, Daughter and little old me. Chris has got his work cut out today.:)

Happy Mothers Day everyone. :)

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Worked in the Bewdley area carnie, stayed in nice Hotel by the river..........Happy Mothers day to all you lovely ladies  

• Like 3

Benj, I'll make a guess that it was 17th century George Hotel that you stayed in, right on the main street a few yards from the bridge over the Severn. Saying that, there are more hotels dotted around that you don't notice so much. The George is now a Witherspoons, and we have eaten in there a few times. Always very busy and I would imagine today would be very difficult to get a table. I expect we will have to queue down the road for our fish and chips as well today. Umbrellas at the ready.:biggrin:

• Like 1

Mine's been gone 23 years, and although we weren't very close, I always got her a nice card. 

Anyway, a happy Mothers Day to all our lovely Nottstalgia mums X

• Like 2

Could have been the George,long ttime ago,  it was just a few feet from the river,, if i could remember the girls name i was in love with down there,, i'd ask her   lol 

Yes benj, I bet the location of the river was not priority to you and your beloved.:biggrin:

If it was as close to the river as that, I could be wrong about the George Hotel which I would say is about the distance of the Bell Inn and the Council House Lions. Nottm. Yards more than feet. Hey benj. Who cares when you are in love?:rolleyes:

• Like 1

Just put a vase of roses next to my mums photo. This is the 9th year that I've not been able to take her somewhere special but I know she can see the flowers and read the thoughts I send out. She's one in many millions. Could not have chosen better.

Please, Please children, lets have no more of this happy mother's day nonsense. The left wing, tree hugging liberal snowflakes have deemed it improper nowadays in these gender neutral enlightened times thus it should be happy YOU day !

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5487133/Waitrose-sells-gender-neutral-Mothers-Day-cards.html

Now I know the world's gone dolally, normal people will very soon be the minority and be outcasts me thinks!!!!

• Like 1