50th anniversary - end of NCT trolleybuses

It was indeed a 44. Started at Colwick Road level crossing. Headed into town via Manvers Street and Bath Street. For many years went straight along Upper Parliament Street with a stop opposite the big Co-op, but was later diverted (in this direction only) down King Street to stop at Beastmarket Hill/Angel Row (outside the Bell). Then Derby Road, Canning Circus, Alfreton Road, Bentinck Road, Radford Road, Vernon Road, Highbury Vale to Bulwell Market and on via Main Street and Hucknall Lane to Bulwell Hall Estate - City Boundary (Opposite Longford Crescent I think). There was a turning circle at both termini.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m utterly fed up with hearing about all these ridiculous and mostly historical claims from the sad ‘me too’ brigade of middle-aged/old women who no doubt lapped it up at the time of the ‘offence’.  

Well, now the PM's father is being accused of 'nappropriate' touching.   If I made a list of all the occasions when that has happened to me, I'd be sitting here for a very long time. Since I

Caught that 39 a few times,i was in love with a girl who lived at the Carlton end,.........mind you could say that about the 6,17,18,28,43 and 44 as well.....lol.

Posted Images

It was indeed a 44. Started at Colwick Road level crossing. Headed into town via Manvers Street and Bath Street. For many years went straight along Upper Parliament Street with a stop opposite the big Co-op, but was later diverted (in this direction only) down King Street to stop at Beastmarket Hill/Angel Row (outside the Bell). Then Derby Road, Canning Circus, Alfreton Road, Bentinck Road, Radford Road, Vernon Road, Highbury Vale to Bulwell Market and on via Main Street and Hucknall Lane to Bulwell Hall Estate - City Boundary (Opposite Longford Crescent I think). There was a turning circle at both termini.

Here's one at the Bulwell Hall terminus.

BulwellMarket3_zps7da9e17a.jpg

The Bulwell Hall terminus was just north of Longford Crescent, about one third of the way towards the roundabout for the Hucknall bypass.

I used to live just up from the terminus and still remember the trolleybuses with great fondness. We used the 44 regularly to travel into Nottingham, sometimes changing to the 43 at Bulwell market place for a through ride to Trent Bridge. I remember trying to persuade my parents to take me all the way to Colwick on the 44, but never succeeded.

The conductor had to use a machine on the pavement at the Nottingham Ring Road stop at Basford to record the time they arrived, if I remember correctly. I can still clearly remember the smell of the gasworks we passed a little further into Nottingham.

i think the last trolly bus running was 39 from carlton square to crown island ,after they started running the 72 up cavendish rd to the jucktion of coningsworth rd.and when they built carlton fourum they extended it to thetop of coningsworth

Regarding #56, not only is it a splendid capture of a bygone ago. For the anoraks amongst us it also happens to be an exposition of bus stop signs! Notice the green "Trolleybus Stop" and on the other side of the road, the strange phenomenon of two NCT plates one above the other - a green "Trolleybus stop" for the terminating 41 and a red "Motorbus request stop" for the 7 going to Bulwell. The shallow red plate below showed that this was also a fare stage. A red plate is also visible attached to the shelter for the 7 heading in to Hanley Street. Notice the blue Midland General "Bristol Lodekka" just coming off the roundabout. They were not allowed to pick up inside the NCT area, but had their own stop (MGO-NDT in the foreground). This non-NCT stop was also where the hourly Trent 61B from East Kirkby called.

Hard to imagine when you see the huge island at Bells Lane nowadays, that the trees in the middle of the island were behind that stone wall originally.

Same day, same trolly, but the other side of the road. There were often floods at the island.

Note my blue and white ford anglia. c.1966.

8634133143_bd2e4e940c_c.jpg

• Like 1

Was it one and the same or were there two pits?

Its complicated, it was an old colliery started in 1842. By the 1950's the shafts near the road to Nuthall were working the deep seams, Deep Soft & Deep Hard. Further away from the road was another shaft known as the Cinderhill Shaft which went to the shallower seams, these workings ceased in the 1950's.

Babbington workings eventually went to the north of the old Hucknall No 1colliery on the Watnall Road, Hucknall and the upcast shaft there was deepened and became Babbington No.7 shaft, it was used to ventilate the Babbington workings.

I'm trying to squint to see if Holden Square is still there, but can't make out what actually is behind the lorry. Building or slag heap.

I think that behind the lorry was internal railway wagons, they were painted black. The pit tip was way behind the colliery and also beyond the GNR railway.

Please excuse my ignorance - in America we had trolley-cars - I never heard of a trolley bus - I learn as I go, and really liked the photos posted on this page - as safe as yesterday!

Dave