50th anniversary - end of NCT trolleybuses

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m utterly fed up with hearing about all these ridiculous and mostly historical claims from the sad ‘me too’ brigade of middle-aged/old women who no doubt lapped it up at the time of the ‘offence’.  

Well, now the PM's father is being accused of 'nappropriate' touching.   If I made a list of all the occasions when that has happened to me, I'd be sitting here for a very long time. Since I

Caught that 39 a few times,i was in love with a girl who lived at the Carlton end,.........mind you could say that about the 6,17,18,28,43 and 44 as well.....lol.

Posted Images

• 7 months later...

Doubt there will be many here that remember the last tram journey (original trams ! ) so am tagging it onto this brilliant Trolley Bus thread as its obviously related .

This from the Evening Post 07.09.1936 so presume the last journey was after midnight on the 6th Sept .1936 .

Will post an earlier feature article outlining the earlier history of the introduction of the trams and routes later .

10876696855_2313967ef6_c.jpg

10877002843_a0bdbed0f7_z.jpg

10876728176_f18a2e14f1_z.jpg

10877002433_a0ccb1c0ae.jpg

10877002423_3edc374318_c.jpg

Thanks for posting the above article David, although I'm not a public transport 'anorak' I found this really interesting, especially some of the names of the officials who were present for the occasion, particularly The Lord Mayor Sir Albert Ball (Capt Albert Ball's dad) and Chief Constable, Capt Popkess. I wonder if Messrs Gunn and Farr were anything to do with the cricketing families? Made me laugh to read that a couple of the gents fell into the inspection pit in the depot.

• Upvote 1

Lizzie , I know nothing about buses or trolley buses either but thought it might be interesting for some . Not an expert on cricket either but see that there were 3 Gunns that played for Notts . One of of them was called John Gunn who last played in 1925 for Notts and died in 1963 so possibly a connection there .

J L Gunn was recruited as Transport General Manager in 1934. He came from Aberdeen, where I presume he held a similar position in their transport undertaking. His predecessor, W G Marks, had set his stall out for major expansion of the trolleybus network. However Gunn wasn't a fan of trolleybuses. (Aberdonians have a reputation for meanness, even among Scots, and maybe all of those poles and wires seemed an extravagance!) Accordingly, when the already approved trolleybus schemes were complete, no more were brought forward. I gather there might have been trolleybuses to Wollaton and possibly Beeston, as well as the Radford circle (Castle Boulevard, Lenton Boulevard, Hartley Road). None of these came to anything, and in fact NCT didn't get to Wollaton, until quite recently, Midland General having a protected monopoly beyond Crown Island. What had been the Radford circle tram route morphed into the no.3 motorbus - Addington Road to Sneinton Dale, later chopped in two with the Radford end becoming the 58 in 1953.

Yes. I read that somewhere. I think that trolleybuses lost out because of the many alterations planned in Nottingham, and the problems caused having to divert trolleybuses during prolonged building and alteration work. How long is the projected life of the present day Nottingham tram. Because one day some revolutionary git in charge of the city will want to alter the whole layout of the streets. Again.

Lizzie , I know nothing about buses or trolley buses either but thought it might be interesting for some . Not an expert on cricket either but see that there were 3 Gunns that played for Notts . One of of them was called John Gunn who last played in 1925 for Notts and died in 1963 so possibly a connection there .

Off the subject of trolly buses but there were four Gunns that played for Notts.

William Gunn 1858-1921 played 1880-1904

John Richmond Gunn, nephew of William Gunn, 1876-1963 played 1896-1925,

George Gunn, nephew of William Gunn brother of John Gunn 1879-1958 played 1902-1932

George Vernon Gunn, son of George Gunn 1905-1957 played 1928-1950,

the first three also played for England.

William was the Gunn in Gunn and Moore

• 2 years later...

The end of this month, 30th June, will be the 50th anniversary of the last trolleybus to run in public service in Nottingham. Wouldn't it be fitting if we could persuade NCT ro re-paint one of the yellow liveried 68/69 Scanias into the green and cream livery worn by the trolleybuses to mark the occasion.

• 2 months later...

Re #112. It seems that they have done just that. I saw the delightfully green and cream liveried No 676 in Bulwell this morning.

A wonderful sight.

That's the one. Far better than the yellows, browns, silvers, purples and any other abomination they can conjure up !

• Upvote 1

A bit of class !

Caught that 39 a few times,i was in love with a girl who lived at the Carlton end,.........mind you could say that about the 6,17,18,28,43 and 44 as well.....lol.

• Upvote 3

I used to get the 39 from Carlton to town and back,I was about 16/17 and working in various factoies as a machinist.There used to be a certain bus conductor who just wouldn't stop pestering me for a date,I already had a boyfriend so I kept saying no.,it was funny really cos if my boyfriend got on the bus the conductor didn't take his fare on purpose ,so that he would be told off for not having a ticket.

• 3 weeks later...

I doubt that the ones at Sandtoft now, still have batteries on them. They pull them in and out of the sheds with a tow vehicle so that is suggesting to me - no batteries.