50th anniversary - end of NCT trolleybuses

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m utterly fed up with hearing about all these ridiculous and mostly historical claims from the sad ‘me too’ brigade of middle-aged/old women who no doubt lapped it up at the time of the ‘offence’.  

Well, now the PM's father is being accused of 'nappropriate' touching.   If I made a list of all the occasions when that has happened to me, I'd be sitting here for a very long time. Since I

Caught that 39 a few times,i was in love with a girl who lived at the Carlton end,.........mind you could say that about the 6,17,18,28,43 and 44 as well.....lol.

Posted Images

Saw No 676 in Arnold on Thursday afternoon looking resplendent in its green livery. 

At least NCT are varying its routes so as many people as possible can see how things used to be. 

• 1 month later...

The beautiful green  676 just went along Hucknall Rd towards town as I was being dragged kicking and screaming to the fair.

I seem to recollect having an Ian Allen book of Nottinghamshire bus companies, and also one of the British Road Services lorry fleet where one could underline your 'cops'. 

• Upvote 1

Sat on the Sherwood Forester the other day for our trip to Bilsthorpe & a bloke stood with note pad & pencil taking notes in Vic Bus Stn, Mrs C say's what's he doing, don't worry it's just an "Anorak" I said.

What's an "Anorak" Catfan she asked !

Priceless she is smile2

• 5 years later...

Hi  I have just been looking up my dad's late partners previous husband before she met my dad. He was a Heniz Seifert and was a bus driver in Nottingham, originally from Dresden in Germany.  I saw mentioned that he was the last person to drive a trolley bus in Nottingham.  I know he retired in 1986 and passed away with cancer in 1989. Mary his wife met my dad in 1993 and moved to Birmingham.  Mary would often talk about her husband up until her death in 2014.  I know she had lots of friends in Nottingham as her and my dad would visit them from Time to time.

• Like 1

A big welcom to nottstaligia Oliver 

Sorry but you are wrong about the name of the person who drove the last trolly bus!!!!!

THE LAST TROLLEY BUS 1966

The last trolley left Queen Street on June 30th 1966 , to Nottingham Road the Lord Mayor of Nottingham Alderman Percy Holland pressed the bell.

The driver was a Mr Albert Parish and the (clippy) conductor was Mr Fred Cooper.Watching it leave was 63 year old Bernard Parker who had put up the  first trolley bus wires 39 years before. "As it pulled away a little bit of me died" he said. 

Sixty members of Nottingham Trolley-Bus Group marked the  occasion by hiring  number 510 to follow the last service. By the time it reached Valley Rd 20 car's were following behind. At the  Parliament Street depot, a chorus of ""AULD -LANG-SYNE"" was stuck up.

Please Oliver

don't let this stop you posting, as you must hsve lots more information about Notts that none of the members have even thought about. XX

CF. I have some yellow stickers with big black letters on my laptop keys.  They make it a lot easier to use!

• Like 1

Might be useful for anyone struggling a bit,  Amazon do a high contrast keyboard for the visually impaired

Can anyone recall Les Anderson a trolley bus driver with NCT up to the early to mid sixties?

I believe one of his runs was from Trent Bridge to Hucknall Road teminus and back. He mentioned that it took only two runs to complete his shift.  

What route would that be then, Alpha? I can't recall any trolley bus going from Trent Bridge to anywhere on Hucknall Rd. I always thought the trolley was a 43, Trent Bridge to Bulwell Market.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Alpha said:

Can anyone recall Les Anderson a trolley bus driver with NCT up to the early to mid sixties?

I believe one of his runs was from Trent Bridge to Hucknall Road teminus and back. He mentioned that it took only two runs to complete his shift.  

I worked with a Les Anderson. The 44 route from Colwick Road to Hucknall Lane was a two hour round trip.

6 hours ago, MargieH said:

CF. I have some yellow stickers with big black letters on my laptop keys.  They make it a lot easier to use!

Tried everything Margie. Bigger keyboard, backlit keyboard now settled with a magnifier which works well for me.

Most of the time.

Beekay, Catfan,

I probably confused the routes and termini. Routes 44 and 43 are the ones I recall.

There was another family member. His name was Jack Alcock who worked as an inspector on various routes.

• Like 1

I remember Walter Bell who kept that garage by the 44 terminus. I went to Mellish with his son Allan. They used to live next door but just over the city border in Hucknall. Allan introduced me to a few Bulwell girls who were not quite as ‘refined’ as the ones in Woodthorpe where I lived! :biggrin:

Stuart.C,

Your second picture shows the 43 crossing Western blvd/valley road. The photographer would be standing outside what was the site of "The Shoulder of Mutton". (The daft bugger must have been standing in the road, right in front of the oncoming trolley.

As a footnote,

I recall as a conductor, my driver Joe Handley, once told me of a Greek driver, working out of Carter Gate, on West Bridgford route. He didn't bother running to the time sheet, he just went out and did all his runs as quick as he could so he could finish early.

His other foible was in summer, always wearing shorts, despite being sent home to put proper uniform trousers on !

Said it before, but I repeat, 'The best working years of my life'. 

• Like 1