50th anniversary - end of NCT trolleybuses

rad1.jpg

The building on the left before the corner with Canterbury Road became the first HQ for Honda Cars UK in 1966. First boss was ex BMC man,, surname 'Mort', lived in Beeston. Later I think it became a Russian car dealership (Moskvich?) and later taken by Notts County Council

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m utterly fed up with hearing about all these ridiculous and mostly historical claims from the sad ‘me too’ brigade of middle-aged/old women who no doubt lapped it up at the time of the ‘offence’.  

Well, now the PM's father is being accused of 'nappropriate' touching.   If I made a list of all the occasions when that has happened to me, I'd be sitting here for a very long time. Since I

Caught that 39 a few times,i was in love with a girl who lived at the Carlton end,.........mind you could say that about the 6,17,18,28,43 and 44 as well.....lol.

Posted Images

My mobile 'phone was already antiquated when Noah got afloat so these photographs are not the best you can get but they're the best I could do...

Trolley buses were brought back into service in this area about four years ago but given the topography of the area, no routes run inland but only along the coast. In the bigger cities they use the articulated models and in Nice, which is the closest major city if we exclude Monte-Carlo, they have just finished a light railway similar to that Mick shows us a few posts up except that the carriages are really jumbo by comparison. In Milan and Turin, that are also close by, they still have trams and although a lot of new rolling stock has been introduced, it is still common occurrence that some really old models are put out.

In most cities, a bus ticket is valid on all routes for ninety minutes starting from when you get on and it costs about 75p.

compusmash I'm not sure how I could get all five photographs to total no more than 50k so I'll upload them one at a time. I guess there's a secret to learn here considering how Firbeck uploaded five in one go and they're a lot bigger than mine are...

Have a nice Sunday everyone.

Robert

post-54-1233474608_thumb.png

Please Create a Photobucket account, and upload there, using their image link and our image button rte-image-button.png

Thanks

(Photobucket will resize your image)

Sorry... Clearly I need to learn how to do this properly. The uploader now says I can attach up to 2MB but it refuses a 23K GIF file and identifies it as being 89.26K...

I'd appreciate some help here ... :unsure:

It likes to mess you about like that....most folk use photobucket to store pics and post them from there...or Flicka if you prefer.

Pic of the 44 above was my bus to school

I wonder when photo taken? the mini dates it post 1959, the bus pre 1966

I did say earlier, during the big freeze 62/63, to be more accurate I reckon it's January 63, and Bristol Lodekkas lasted for a few more years after 1966, I was still catching them into town when I left in 1976.

Back to Radford Bridge again.

I just found this, I have written on the back many years ago:-

'September 1965, Flying Scotsman heads towards Nottingham from Mansfield passing the site of Radford Colliery'.

I recall going down the side of the old station and taking this one Saturday, I just can't work out where those trees are in the background.

rad3.jpg

Anyway, back to trolleybuses, I found a few more snaps I took 40 odd years ago, I still can't find the bulk of the collection, they must be somewhere in the loft.

Another one from Plumtree, 1966, yes, I'm the 'erbert looking out the top window.

trol20.jpg

This is what these two trolleybuses look like now 493 first, note that the fleet number on the front isn't where it should be.

21stJune2008ykNRM_251_1_.jpg

466 on the right

16112008SandtoftRG_222_1_.jpg

Change of subject, Derby, when I took this I was jumped on by an official in the depot who tried to take my camera off me and rip the film out, when we threatened him, he backed off and went to call the police, it must have been a terrible crime to photograph an old trolleybus in 1966.

trol21.jpg

By coincidence, this one has survived into preservation as well, this was last year, I just noticed, they've put the indicator back in the wrong place.

derbytrol.jpg

This is Bradford 1966

trol22.jpg

Bournemouth 1967, I have some of these on taken on the turntable at Christchurch, can't find them either

trol23.jpg

I'll see what else I can dig up.

Found a few more photos of that 493 - click below

I've seen those before, they were taken at the NTG Plumtree Museum site a few years after mine, just before the collection was dispersed.

You may be interested in a picture of Midland General KRR 255 parked next to 493 in that first picture, here it is nicely restored at it's current home at Butterley.

krr255b.jpg

Incidentally the shot of 493 'running' was posed, no overhead wires were ever erected at Plumtree, we used to drive some of them around on battery power, they took some charging I can tell you.

Bournemouth 1967, I have some of these on taken on the turntable at Christchurch, can't find them either

trol23.jpg

Those bright yellow buses from Bournemouth bring back a few memories. We used to catch one to go to see my dad who would be fishing on the Avon at Christchurch. Oh Happy holidays

Join Photobucket if you haven't already...download picture to there,then click on IMG under your picture and paste picture to the message box.

Thanks for the suggestion, I didn't realise that was the secret to it; it's pretty easy to use as well.

So here are the other three photos of the trolley bus that does the run from San Remo to Ventimiglia, from the heart of the Italian song festival to the French border almost. And seeing how these photo uploads don't take up space on the forum server, I guess I can share a couple of interesting snapshots of Pakistani public transport. I've seen worse - the Congo is no joke but I wouldn't dare get my camera out there.

Enjoy, as they say.

th_Immag054.jpg

th_Immag053.jpg

th_Immag052.jpg

Modern day rickshaw and following bus

th_IMG_2056.jpg

The bus station in Lahore

th_IMG_2265.jpg

Before Bramcote Swim Pool was built the nearest one to us was Noel Street. Corporation bus from Beeston to Slab Square, walk up Queen Street to catch a trolley bus, but cannot remember where we got off. What road had wires near to Noel Street baths?

re Noel Street Baths, if you went to Queen St you'd have got a 41,37 or 36 which went up Sherwood Rise, probably got off at Berridge Rd East or Beech Avenue? the 42/43/44 service up on Radford Road was nearer to the baths,

Well done Robert , some nice shots there (If I can get into my loft I'll pull out the pics I have of The Barbados "Dollar bus" 30 people in a 10 seat mini bus!! very similar to the Tuk Tuks in Bali !!!

once went from turunce to icmeler on a dolmus after missing last boat, you've seen the film Speed? was like that over mountains! said to the wife don't look as we started going around hairpin bends with sheer drops at unfenced sides, before long I WASN'T LOOKING TOO! going back to trolley buses I think I recall 42 service turning round at Northern Bridge? did it or others at one time turn round at Eland Street? and for those interested since starting writing this it's began snowing in Radcliffe and now a full scale blizzard!

• 2 years later...

I was searching for other things on Google when I found this brilliant image of a trolly bus.

When I clicked on it I found it lead to this thread on our site.

I had forgotten about this two year old topic.

Worth a BUMP! :)

• 1 year later...

as a child we lived on colwick road where the trolley bus used to start and i think used to go to the terminus at bulwell,if my mind is remembering,i think it was the number 44,i do remember sitting on it when the line detached and had to be connected we thought it was great fun