We had houses at Trent Bridge, IIRC they were Clifton, Radcliffe, Wilford & Trent. I believe they changed names when TB went mixed. I was in Clifton. They must have had houses at other schools I went to (Gotham, Aldercar, Chester-le-street, Beardall st Hucknall) but can't remember them..

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Manning Grammar School, during my period of incarceration at least, sported four houses: St David's, yellow; Armagh, green; Canterbury, red and Edinburgh, blue. Prior to my arrival, there had been

I always wore a tie.............& sometimes a shot tergowirrit!!

I also recall house games, immediately prior to the Christmas holidays. Gathering in the school gym, together with house mistresses, we all sat on the floor and played pass the parcel, charades and ot

H/Girl, re #18, these were the names of 4 local Saxon landowners who held land titles in the area prior to the Norman conquest and the subsequent Yoke, but why this particular method was used was never disclosed. I was in Godric house and was pretty useless at everything!

At High Pavement we had eight houses:

Newstead

School

Sherwood

Trent

Wollaton (which I was in)

Woodthorpe

And two others which I've forgotten! Perhaps DJ360 will remind us.

This was in the early 1960s. My memory is that Woodthorpe always came last in the events on Sports Day, but always won at swimming!

The other notable co0mpetition between the Houses was the House Play Competition in the run-up to Christmas when each put on a short play, or more usually an extract from a play, and was judged on them.

Haywood

St Catherine yellow

St Cecilia. Green

St Hilda Red

St Joan. Blue

I was in St Joan and much to my embarressment became a prefect. I hated it having to keep girls in order during morning service in the hall.

Brincliffe GS had Bristow - red, Golding - blue, Nicholson - green and Randall - yellow. No idea who the worthies were who inspired the Houses. I was in Nicholson and only excelled at a bit o` poetry reading and the odd bit of Drama. Absolute rubbish at games and PE and made history as the only gel ever to voluntarily drop Domestic Science GCE and take extra Maths instead. Rubbish at owt practical yer see.

• Upvote 1

Lizzie, I think we've had this conversation before about the colour of Stanhope House.... I was just leaving the school as you started so the colour must have been changed around that time for some reason? Don't some people think that green is an unlucky colour?

Margie, the site has played up all afternoon as usual.

Re green being unlucky, my mum hated it as she had a green suit on the day that her father was killed on the Somme, and always detested green after that.

Needless to say, green has ALWAYS been my favourite colour. Not to be awkward, but I love the soothing tranquility of it.

• Upvote 1

I believe that Brincliffe Girls' Grammar was absorbed by the Manning after I left which would have meant a rise in numbers and possibly the bringing back into service of those houses which had fallen into disuse. I couldn't say.

I do know that, by this time, the writing was on the wall for grammar schools and Manning was about to become a comprehensive. Many of the long serving battleaxes left in protest. Eventually it became necessary to utilise the quadrangle space as additional classrooms or so I was told.

I was never tempted to go back and have a look. Oddly enough, I still dream about the place occasionally. I'm usually trying desperately to find my way out! Worrying! Perhaps I should see the trick cyclist?

ive mentioned before Jill i feel privaliged to have gone to Padstow school,........there seem to be lots on here who did'nt like school,there are probably some who did'nt like Padstow,........it was only Sec.Modern,but we learnt the basics,and it was a great school for sport,which is probably why i loved it,our houses were,

Newstead,Welbeck,Lenton and Rufford which i was in,..........

It was my own fault, Ben. I chose to go there, against my mother's advice. I was too young to work on Woolworths biscuit counter, so it seemed like a reasonable way of filling the time. How wrong can you be?

My mum was really lucky. Missed the 11 plus equivalent in 1937 due to illness, sent to Guilford Girls School on Bar Lane in Basford. What happens 2 years later? War breaks out! Part time school from then onwards.

She said that some of her lessons were held at the home of a teacher who lived on Bar Lane but if any girl needed the toilet, they had to walk up to the school as the old battle axe wouldn't allow them to use hers!

Does anyone know anything about Guilford Girls' School? It became Ellis Guilford of course but I've never been able to find anything about prior to this, nor any photos. Any Nottstalgians attend there?

Annie Holgate Technical Grammar School Hucknall. We just had red green blue and yellow. No fancy names. When we had our swimming gala, there was only me and Hazel Johnson in our house who were decent swimmers , she did breast stroke and butterfly, I did backstroke and front crawl and IVM. Even though there was only 2 of us, we each won our individual races. 'Twas about the only sport I was any good at

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

||\ 43 Jill

My cousin who is now 72 went there,and she always enjoyed it,and growing up i met alot of her friends and they seemed happy crowd,so i imagine it was a good school..........

Mum told me they spent a lot of time learning to do domestic chores. Washing, ironing, housework etc. Given the times, the expectations of most girls didn't stretch beyond marriage and a family. They read a lot of poetry too and she enjoyed botany. Quite an eclectic mix of subjects. We did very little domestic science at Manning and I admit to being clueless at cooking but then food has never been of much interest to me...wine, yes...but I'm quite happy with a cheese sandwich! Even I can't ruin that!

• Upvote 1

Lizzie, in the upper school we were allowed to have dresses in a fabric which was light grey, red and a white sort of check and the design of the dress was not proscribed as long as the neckline wasn't too low and the hem wasn't too high!! But, as you say, most of the uniform was green (except for grey culottes for games and - when I started in 1954 - grey knickers with a pocket in!!!! These weren't PE knickers - they were designed to be worn under our pinafore dresses. That piece of uniform didn't last long - too difficult to enforce I suppose...

Grey flannel knickers at Manning too, Margie. To be worn at all times under the uniform. Knicker inspections were regular and any girl caught mot sporting them was in trouble!

I did hear that one girl was expelled for running a pair up the school flagpole! A comment, perhaps?

• Upvote 1

At BGS the houses were Annesley, Rufford, Clumber and Welbeck. Annesley was dark blue and I think I may still have the badge somewhere in my archives. As I hated sport the house system was a total non-event for me.

Portland Junior school had houses. Falcons, Hawks and Eagles. Falcons had red badges, little round ones with a white band across the middle and the word Falcons in black. I am sure I still have that one somewhere. I had forgotten all about this until I read the posts on this thread. Thanks for the memories!

Now this was a real challenge to my aging memory...... I soon gave up..

Later, having consulted the school Prospectus, which I still have..

At High Pavement there were:

Basford Dark Blue and Light Blue

Forest Claret and Light Blue

Newstead Light Blue and White

School House Red

Sherwood Green and Grey

Trent Cherry and White

Wollaton Black and Gold

Woodthorpe Black and White

I was in Sherwood.

I don't recall a Sorting Hat.

Col