What do you call these?

Tear off top of carton with teeth, squeeze Jubbly steadily with hands and up it pops - out of the carton - into the air and onto the floor!

IMG_0647.JPG

• Upvote 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Dont remember there being ice pops when I was a child, but ice lollies were called "suckers". I remember asking for one of them from a shop while on holiday in Norfolk and was laughed at by the girl serving. Made me feel stupid.

• Upvote 1

To me, they are ice pops. We always used the term suckers, not ice lollies.

My favourites were Wall's Heart, Funny Face and FAB, which Lyons Maid still make!

All were available at Merrimans shop on the corner of Oakland Street!

Something else we used to buy as children from Merriman's corner shop was a tin of Creamola.

The powder contained inside was mixed with water to make a fizzy sweet drink which was very popular with my sister and I.

I hadn't seen any for years and then came across an advertisement for some firm who are now manufacturing creamola once again to an apparently secret recipe in several different flavours.

As a child, my mother had an obsession with Andrews liver salts which her own grandmother used to keep in the Pantry in her house in Basford. Since she adored her grandma Lizzie, my mother was a regular visitor there and often sneaked into the Pantry with a glass of water when great grandma wasn't looking to make herself a fizzy drink with the liver salts. Great grandma always found out of course and mum was usually in trouble for it but the obsession with Andrews liver salts persisted all through her life and although she was an unusually healthy person until she reached her 80s, if she ever had a day when she was feeling off colour The Cure was always a glass of Andrews liver salts because it made her feel better.

In fact, one of the very last things I bought for her, at her request, was a tin of Andrews liver salts.

Sadly, Andrews liver salts did not have the power to cure multiple system atrophy (misdiagnosed in her case as Parkinson's Disease) and to my knowledge there is no cure for this awful affliction as yet.

It always makes me smile when I go into a shop and see tins of Andrews liver salts on the shelves but at least now I know that she has no need of them! There's no illness where she's gone. Giant bars of Old Jamaica? Well, that's a different matter!

• Upvote 1

Still take Andrews liver salts'........always make me feel better,.........in the 60s it was about 2 bob for a little en and 3 bob for a big un.............

• Upvote 3

I have not seen them for years, there was Eno's as well and Setlitz Powders.........

I thought Ice Poles were the original name but after some years they became shorter and were then called Ice pops.