Anyone who worked at the Coop Building Department?

The Greater Nottingham Cooperative Society Building and Engineering Department.

Abbey Street Lenton

The Greater Nottingham Co-operative Society Building and Engineering Department

The nearest I got to working there was when I went for an interview around the mid 60s at the large house on the corner of Derby road and Lenton Boulevard, needless to say I didn't get the job, probably due to the winkle pickers, spotty face and unhygienic ambience..

I did however later go onto work at the CO-OP bakery department down meadow lane where such things didn't seem to matter.

Probably won't be either dressed like that :ph34r: have you tried the SAS??

• 8 months later...

My dad worked at the Long Eaton Coop building department for a number of years (about 1957 to 1966).

• 5 years later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi ,i worked as apprentice electrician at coop from 1962 - 1967 , 3 years on beechdale rd Dairy ,worked with Jim Bannister,John bathelor, Pete taylor , Harry ethrington to name a few , great days they were !

Welcome Stevo.

I was apprentice to Phil Mattews, Electrician 1968-75, Bill Stringfellow was in charge, Dennis fisher was manager.

Kieth Gunn was in domestic appliance repairs. Worked with all you mention. Did you work on Broad Marsh?

Hi Mick, yes phil was apprentice with me, bill Stringfellow was in charge ,in fact he interviewed me for the job , left to go into security and fire alarms before broad marsh started, worked with Dennis Fisher though, he always had a flask of coffee made with milk and when it was my turn to make the tea i would to have a taste ,lovely it was!

Hi Mick, I remember Jeff, nice lad but he wasn't at my firm, I went from coop to firm called A.f.A Minerva worked on Boots site for 2 years, then to Hornet alarms in daybrook with them for 12 years, nice small family firm , they were bought out by a big company in 1981 so i started my own firm called central alarms, sold that in 1989 and went to Isle of Wight started central alarms again on island and retired in 2008 at 60 years young.

I remember both AFA Minerva and Hornet, I think the former certainly was used by Coop for their shops.

Jeff Upton was a mountain climber and climbed with some of the famous climbers.

One who came from Nottingham, someone will remind me?

Can you remember Fridge lad Pete Robinson, son of Coop Chief exec. Pete sadly died young many years ago.

Other names

Muff Murfin site foreman

Alan Roadley and Don in the stores.

John? the lorry driver.

Ray the plumber

Yea Mick went climbing with jeff to matlock a couple of times, it scared me stiff, he was like a spider a really good climber. me well tried it a coupleof times then decided to stick to football, and the names you mentioned yes remember most of them, brought back memories, once i was sent from the southchurch drive shop back to abbey st on my push bike to fetch a skirting board ladder and a glass hammer, What a plonker i was, still gave the stores lads a laugh, long ride back though !!

• Upvote 1

yes i was jims apprentice when i first started at co-op,ruddy and bernard remember them too, my brother Ken was a joiner, worked on a few jobs together

good times . What happened to all those years?

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...

Hi Mick. I was Pete Robbo's apprentice. I started in 1979 until its demise (still mourning the loss)!!! It lasted at Abbey st until 1992 and then moved to Meadow Lane Garage until it was wound up in 1994. My name is Mark Elvin and I was known to everyone as Stig. I've got plenty of names and memories for you if you still administrate the site.

Cheers,

Stig !

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...