A couple of years ago we got rid of our leylandi hedge. Last year we planted in its place a flowering hedge - Escallonia (variety apple blossom). They were just little twigs when planted but this year they are thickening out nicely and have produced a blaze of blossom. Alongside is the lemon thyme border, which is also thick with blossom. This though, has grown beyond our expectations and is flopping open, making it look messy. Will move them elsewhere after the blossom has gone.

In the middle of the garden is a spiraea (variety firelight) that has filled out nicely. At the back is Mrs Chulla's wildflower garden. Looks a dump in winter but springs to life when hundreds of ox-eyed daisies and other sleepers awake.

DSCN1378_zpskddhbc5z.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Despite the cold dry weather here in the far north of Scotland this year, the garden is coming on ok: https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/6295596895711401841?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIXgq

A couple of years ago we got rid of our leylandi hedge. Last year we planted in its place a flowering hedge - Escallonia (variety apple blossom). They were just little twigs when planted but this year

Standing almost five feet tall, this is my first annual poppy of the season [Perennial Welsh poppies have been in flower for a few weeks now]:  This one is in the polytunnel:    

Is it ever going to stop raining? We've had a few hot periods but not for long. The wilder parts of my garden are like a jungle...It just hasn't been dry enough to strim back. I've got thistles four foot high for heavens sake.

The only good thing is I've only had to water my hanging baskets a couple of times this year.

My garden is looking great at the moment, beautiful green lawn, flowers all in bloom, tubs looking good and all the hedges and trees been trimmed, fencing painted....just the hanging baskets that are a bit disappointing this year.......all in all, very pleasing to the eye.......

• Upvote 2
  • 11 months later...

first day of June and the Rhubarb (Front) and Gunnera (Giant Rhubarb behind) are doing nicely, thanks to a wet start to thee year up here.

35026866015_192510e803_h.jpg

Even the Wren babies are getting in on the act:

34882725201_0eb3d5c626_h.jpg

• Upvote 2

Well, what a week! Monday and Tuesday it poured with rain for almost 48hrs non-stop and with it came 60mph winds.  The result of that is shown in the following photographs.  The garden goods siding is completely flooded and the local Wick River has burst its banks.  Normally just a trickle at this time of year, the Wick river was a raging torrent yesterday.  Loch Watten was like the Arctic ocean and the temperature didn't rise above 8°C until well into the afternoon, when it reached a maximum of 10°C.

The garden Goods siding with my new raised bed under 9" of water:

34990688212_cb5df8faf4_h.jpg

The Wick River - normally just a trickle at this time of year:

34345439023_afa12d92b6_h.jpg

34768862300_cf4458ec35_h.jpg

Loch Watten yesteday:

35155478535_74c50efdc8_h.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Wow, Compo, you have had a lot of rain!  At least you won't have to do much watering for a while!

Pond overflowing - bloody fish complaining about it being too wet and threatening to pack up and leave! 

:rotfl:

• Upvote 2

Here's a tip: Don't go out into the garden with a camera after several pints of home-made beer! I came back with over 100 photos last weekend, despite rushing around trying to beat the thunder storm that was fast approaching.  There were too many to edit so I have just bunged them on a flickr page for you to take a look at.  Having done that, I noticed that a couple of sections of garden had been missed completely - don't drink and drive... a camera!

https://www.flickr.com/gp/66382711@N02/U6RB6P

• Upvote 3

Fantastic pictures. Having never been further north than Skye I always had the impression that it was a barren wilderness up there but those pictures could have been taken on the Lizard peninsular. I must spread my horizons further on this year's Scotland trip.

Great pics Compo, I Just love the garden in June lots of lush green and colour with

the promise of more to come. Tell me Compo is that all your garden? you must be

working on it all day.

Sue B 48: It is indeed all ours.  There are two acres of it.  It is a former railway station yard and so we have had to build up the ground over a number of years.  The former goods sidings (Not shown in these photos - beer error) are currently underwater after 14 successive days of rain, so it can be a bit of a challenge to garden up here.  My location is on the site map if you want to see where we are.

• 11 months later...

https://filehost.net/10fecf20a24b156e

Can any of you kind people identify this leaf for me please. My gardner type person brought the hanging baskets and planters round last week and there are two of these plants growing like billyo. Are they weeds ? Don't appear to be making any effort to flower and the Petunias seem to be very poor this year. I wondered if these mysterious plants are killing the rest of the display.

It looks a bit like a begonia leaf having a bad day!  

Have you seen this app?  It costs £3.99 but looks interesting

PlantSnap Plant Identification by PlantSnap, Inc.
https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/plantsnap-plant-identification/id1234702272?mt=8

Definitely not canabis Cf, i've been with plod on enough raids to recognise them. not Begonias either. Uploaded the pic to Google image search and it came back with the suggestions it's Rhubarb!

I asked the chap that did them for me and apparently he bought the stuff from the internet and has no idea what they are.

Thanks for the programme Margie but it's only for Apple devices.

Could be Geums, Brew.  There are lots of different types of Geum. I planted some in  my polytunnel border and they grew so vigorously that I have to transfer them outside.  Geums grow very rapidly and have a rosette of leaves emanating from a central point.  Flowers are usually carried on long spikes that stand vertically, except in wind. Leaves come in different shapes but basically they are like the photo in this link:

http://www.minnesotawildflowers.info/flower/large-leaf-avens

What a difference a year makes.  Last year at this time my garden was in full flood and the weather was freezing cold.  This year we have had the hottest, driest May since I moved up here 25yrs ago and prtobably a record month.  The garden is needing water every day and the greenhouse and tunnel are struggling to keep cool enough to avoid scorching the plants!

Standing almost five feet tall, this is my first annual poppy of the season [Perennial Welsh poppies have been in flower for a few weeks now]:  This one is in the polytunnel:

41631247035_f8e19e2a1a_c.jpg

Here are a few more photos taken in the garden yesterday:

41810709684_b797b9c805_c.jpg

42481758582_4382dfc2be_b.jpg

41810755624_194d9e1145_b.jpg

42533570961_03780c8c21_c.jpg

And finally....Hawthorn in flower:

42481628512_c743272953_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1