• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Despite the cold dry weather here in the far north of Scotland this year, the garden is coming on ok: https://picasaweb.google.com/paul.simonite/6295596895711401841?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIXgq

A couple of years ago we got rid of our leylandi hedge. Last year we planted in its place a flowering hedge - Escallonia (variety apple blossom). They were just little twigs when planted but this year

Standing almost five feet tall, this is my first annual poppy of the season [Perennial Welsh poppies have been in flower for a few weeks now]:  This one is in the polytunnel:    

21 hours ago, Brew said:

Your boat could do with a lick of paint Compo   ;)

I'm waiting for the local chandler's to do a special offer on paint, Brew. I live in Scotland, hence the condition of the boat!

• Like 2

This past month has seen wonderful weather here in Caithness. I can honestly say that it has been the best five weeks since I arrived here in 1993.  Clear blue skies punctuated by temperatures in the mid-20s has made for a lovely period of gardening weather. This morning I was cleaning out the pond filter when I noticed damselflies skitting about the pond.  I didn't catch any actually laying eggs, although I have seen them laying when my camera was not to hand.  Took these photos whislt the sun shone :)

The Large Red Damselfly (Pyrrhosoma nymphula):

42643557251_f256a3fb79_b.jpg

Male and female in mating embrace:

41744181315_bb3e589dfd_c.jpg

• Like 2

The first of my Himalayan Poppies (Meconopsis) was in bloom this morning . A beautiful pale blue flower and a gorgeous orange centre. The local bee population was on it immediately. A fantastic flower !

• Like 3

We have a couple of very angry/protective blackbirds who are extremely aggressive to our 2 cats.  They sit on the pinnacle of the bird table and 'shout' at them even when the cats are lying down asleep on the windowsill overlooking the garden.  Sometimes they even fly straight at them, swerving away from the window at the last minute!    The cats are refusing to go outside into the back garden now because the 2 birds actually dive-bomb them.  I suppose they have some babies nearby.  These same 2 blackbirds were also chasing off wood pigeons and even a couple of starlings from where I'd thrown some scraps of food on the grass.   It's the female bird who's the worst I have to say! 

• Like 1

June is the first month for what passes as winter down under and like Margie we have two blackbirds (yes the same ones as in England) who take great delight in throwing the mulch from the raised garden beds everywhere in their search for grubs. It often takes half an hour in the morning to put it all back, it is surprising how far the little buggers can throw it.

• Like 1

They do eactly the ssame here, Oz - bloody nusisance but worth it to have them singing in spring.

Wish I cold grow Himalayan poppies here, Fly.  Tried a couple of times but without success.  Ayagorra photo for us to see?

Front of house this weekend:

42680769832_05a118baeb_c.jpg

Pond - now self-sufficient and containing many native species of plant and animal life:

40918699830_bb9dce3954_c.jpg

Chiean daisy bush in flower (Chiliotrichum diffusum):

28856602468_43dff70db0_c.jpg

• Like 1

Spotted this Pine weevil in the garden on Saturday afternoon:

42011240864_cc257b6a91_b.jpg

• Upvote 1