A few random photos - 2

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those seeking an alternative to politics......... Long Row in 1970. The top of Maid Marian Way, the rear of the old ABC cinema just visible on the right. St Peter's Square

I go on a gardening web site where at the moment they are on about Pugh-Ernly- Whippingstool and his programme to try and stop child obesity.   They didn't think much to my comments of feed

LizzeM  thanks I knew I was old, I used to go round all the stations regularly and knew most of them, after I retired I never went on a station for about 7 years, I then went on one where I served for

Regarding Marsdens, I was talking to my mother in law today, she said that there was a Marsdens on Russell drive at Wollaton in the early 50s, nearly opposite doctors corner. She also said that there was one near the Essoldo at Lenton Abbey.

• Upvote 1

Brilliant Ray,..certainly the oldest photo of a Marsdens i'll ever see,........as regards Russell dr one of the few i never worked at,and the nearest one to the Essoldo i recall was Willoughby st.

Sorry Vauxhall supporters, but I'm not convinced. Here is an enhanced and enlarged image of the car in the photo, with a Vauxhall Wyvern underneath. I have scaled both images such that the overall height of the vehicle is the same in both images. My impression is that this makes the Wyvern a much shorter, more rounded and upright looking car than our mystery vehicle. The rear of the back side window is much more upright. The front quarterlight is different too. Also the bulge in front of the Wyvern's rear wheel is much further forward than the mystery car.

fj7xzjt7a_zpsse2muglr.jpg

On that basis, the mystery car must be really quite large. As a wild guess, I wonder if it is American, as the styling is similar to products of the American Chrysler group in the late 1940s and early 1950s

Just like to say thanks to cliff-ton for his few random photos thread thats produced some good discussion,at a time when postings have dropped to at one stage 100 in 24 hours............keep em coming mate ..........

• Upvote 1

To back up the theory of it being an American car, a model no-one in the UK has ever heard of - the Plymouth Cranbrook.

plymouth%20cranbrook1_zpsbwrdjfo5.jpg

1. The chrome trim at the front doesn't extend to the door;

2. Chrome trim line over the rear wheel arch;

3. Chrome plate at the front of the rear wheel arch;

4. Rear bumpers wrap around

• Upvote 1

Whatever type of car it is it is not a Vauxhall. In those days all Vauxhalls had chrome flukes either side of the bonnet. If this car had them they would be visible, seeing that the side-body shiny chrome strips are easily seen.

Regarding Marsdens, I was talking to my mother in law today, she said that there was a Marsdens on Russell drive at Wollaton in the early 50s, nearly opposite doctors corner. She also said that there was one near the Essoldo at Lenton Abbey.

I had no idea they were a chain! There was one at the Hillside shops on Derby Road (where Savera Tandoori is now). I hated running errands there when I was a kid, little old ladies would brazenly queue jump. It must have closed by the early '70s after which it was a chip shop owned by a Labour councillor (Bob Churchill?) becoming the Savera in 1984. Certainly it was gone by the mid-seventies because the off-licence next door became more of a convenience shop then.

Hillside was one of the smallest Marsdens,did a couple of weeks there about 61,........joined the Tennis club at the back of it,i think it was Coop owned.

A lovely old Austin lorry I believe...... Yes, there's the bike again!

Hillside was one of the smallest Marsdens,did a couple of weeks there about 61,........joined the Tennis club at the back of it,i think it was Coop owned.

The only other thing I remember about Marsdens was a big bacon slicer. All 4 shops at Hillside are pretty small.

The Tennis Club was the Co-op Western Club (later Hillside Club). I don't know when the tennis side was dropped, there were weekly coaching sessions for kids in the '70s. The club closed fairly recently (2009 I think) the premises being demolished only in the last couple of years. Various plans have been suggested for the land to be used for housing or as part of the whizzy biomedical campus, but recently it's just been overflow parking for QMC staff during the tram works.

The Lenton Times has recently had an extensive article on the Co-op sports facilities (much of the newer housing on Arnesby Road and roads off was a Co-op sports field).

• Upvote 1

The bike looks like a 'granville'........and the Bero lorry reminds me of unloading the 8x3lb bags of there flour by handball,......earnt our money.

All the Marsdens shops had the big red 'Bacon slicers' called or made by 'Berkels'............had to be cleaned every day at close of business,lovely old machines,but hard work cleaning em.

I stand corrected. Ex WD it is.

To back up the theory of it being an American car, a model no-one in the UK has ever heard of - the Plymouth Cranbrook.

plymouth%20cranbrook1_zpsbwrdjfo5.jpg

1. The chrome trim at the front doesn't extend to the door;

2. Chrome trim line over the rear wheel arch;

3. Chrome plate at the front of the rear wheel arch;

4. Rear bumpers wrap around

Cliff Ton you were almost right. In fact it is the 1949 two door Plymouth coupe model

gallery_31752_15_1431474672_4840.jpg

• Upvote 2