A few random photos - 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those seeking an alternative to politics......... Long Row in 1970. The top of Maid Marian Way, the rear of the old ABC cinema just visible on the right. St Peter's Square

I go on a gardening web site where at the moment they are on about Pugh-Ernly- Whippingstool and his programme to try and stop child obesity.   They didn't think much to my comments of feed

LizzeM  thanks I knew I was old, I used to go round all the stations regularly and knew most of them, after I retired I never went on a station for about 7 years, I then went on one where I served for

For those seeking an alternative to politics.........

Long Row in 1970.

long%20row_zps1r2jvp5v.jpg

The top of Maid Marian Way, the rear of the old ABC cinema just visible on the right.

barton%20marian_zpsrnl3xunz.jpg

St Peter's Square a long time ago.

st%20peters_zpscxjxgm7x.jpg

• Upvote 12

I especially liked the second picture, it cheered me up, the first bit of sun and blue sky I've seen for days.

I can't remember 'Meakers' on Long Row, what did they sell?

• Upvote 1

Nice orderly queue of passengers waiting for the 31 bus to Mapperley and across the road outside Lyons is my bus, the 69, and waiting outside Griffins to get along to the stop is the 57 to Redhill. I so wish the middle of town was still like that.

• Upvote 2

Same here, it was far more interesting in the city centre then.

I think my Dad got a job with Meakers on leaving school in 1935-ish. He didn't stay there long .......measuring gentlemen's inside leg wasn't really his thing.

• Upvote 3

Luvvly Cliff-

If I see another Euro thread and Capt Comment again I'll scream!!

Photo 2 is a corker,the bank on top of Chapel bar is not yet built..now a hotel?

The 3 grey shops are the co op trio-nice Thames Trader.

Photo 1, how things have changed.

Jolley's taxi turning, Manpower services above the jeweller's

Nice Thames van

Photo 3- is that cart a Thames?

Photo 2 is a corker,the bank on top of Chapel bar is not yet built..now a hotel?

The photo is around mid-60s. That area (top end of Chapel Bar) was about to be re-developed. But all the re-development - which hadn't yet happened - has since been demolished and replaced with what we have today. So the scene in the photo is two generations back.

Nice orderly queue of passengers waiting for the 31 bus to Mapperley and across the road outside Lyons is my bus, the 69, and waiting outside Griffins to get along to the stop is the 57 to Redhill. I so wish the middle of town was still like that.

Yes where is the 31,well remember dashing across the square every morning from the 43 to catch the 31 to cnr Woodboro rd/Huntingdon St,sometimes my girlfriend at the time would do the same with me as she got off the Alfred St stop to work at Axelrods.

Wonder what happened to her? now I remember she's my wife of over 50 years.....

• Upvote 4

I'll keep this series going for a while yet.

Not the normal view of the city centre - from the Castle grounds.

castle_zps8m0qjgiv.jpg

The Square when it was a bit more interesting than today.

square2_zpshglohgts.jpg

And a trolley bus on Parliament Street.

trolley_zpskiltu4un.jpg

• Upvote 12

The bottom picture is interesting. The trolley-wires post on the right has the pull-down points changer running down its side.

The pub was something like the Princess or something similar I believe.

#6 When the photograph was taken it was called Parliament House until 1981 then it was renamed The Princess and in 1988 it changed names again to Nico's until it closed in 2000.

• Upvote 1

The bottom picture is interesting. The trolley-wires post on the right has the pull-down points changer running down its side.

Called a "FROG" Chulla !

Why ? I have'nt a clue.

• Upvote 1

Dave 48 is spot on,when it was Nico's my Brother painted a large abstract painting which they hung- going upstairs.

Regarding photo.1 what is the large building below the square clock?

Photo.3 is more my era,Turf Tavern has been discussed- but i can recall when some twit broke the lovely windows in the Peach Tree next door.

Down from the Parliament House boozer is the Elite Cinema..went to see Le Mans there and won a Gulf t.shirt and hat.

Yes, the Princess. Which one I don't know.

Thanks Cliff,6 floors!! crikey.please keep up these pictures I appreciate the effort and time- but they are worth it.

Before Maid Marion Way was constructed,how did the Salutation sit in it's surroundings.. can't picture it at all,regards again-Ian.

PS: what's with the tram in photo.2? Were they still running?