A few random photos - 2

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those seeking an alternative to politics......... Long Row in 1970. The top of Maid Marian Way, the rear of the old ABC cinema just visible on the right. St Peter's Square

I go on a gardening web site where at the moment they are on about Pugh-Ernly- Whippingstool and his programme to try and stop child obesity.   They didn't think much to my comments of feed

LizzeM  thanks I knew I was old, I used to go round all the stations regularly and knew most of them, after I retired I never went on a station for about 7 years, I then went on one where I served for

I don't think that is a tram, Ian. Looks to me like a double decker with it's top partially obscured by a tree.

If you enlarge the picture it looks like a tram to me.

Don't forget trams were running in Nottingham till 1937

What's the name of the street running off Friar Lane, centre left in the photo? My wife reckons Mount Street, where the bus station was.

That road is Granby Street, at its junction with Friar Lane which is going off towards the Square. Mount Street gets a bigger mention in one of the "Nottingham from Above" pictures. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14705 The corner you are referring to is in the top right corner of the "Above" picture.

Before Maid Marion Way was constructed,how did the Salutation sit in it's surroundings.. can't picture it at all,regards again-Ian.

The area with the Castle and factory is in more detail in this "...from Above". http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14629

The Salutation is there but you can't really see it because it's hidden by trees. Look in the lower right near St Nicholas' church - which is the one still on Maid Marian Way.

If you enlarge the picture it looks like a tram to me.

Don't forget trams were running in Nottingham till 1937

You could be right, BW, but that picture of the square looks newer than that to me. What do I know though? I'm just a nipper, only been around since 44. :-) Don't know how old I was when I first saw slab square.

Ian, I don't think the hooch 'ad owt to do we it. Lol.

This answers the question about the tram and bus outside Griffin & Spalding. There was a central island in the road, where buses loaded from one side, and trams loaded from the pavement alongside the Square. Trams may have finished by this photo but the lines are still visible in the road.

long%20row_zpsgzweoxy8.jpg

And you can see the Lyons cafe in the background.

• Upvote 3

I was fishing in the "gone pubs" area yesterday and there was a snap of the Queen passing Tavern in the Town pub in a black Roller..I am wondering did that car then travel up Derby Road?- to which I duly waved my flag too outside St.Mary's School.

Circa '66-'67?

I'd say you are right Andy,do remember seeing them under tarmac at Forest rd.near hangman's hill.

My Dad did recall tram lines in town being lifted for the war effort,in particular the railings on Shakespeare st.

• 9 months later...

I just did a search for the water clock and found quite a bit of info - which I will research later. I was distracted, though, by some of the descriptions of the recent/current Viccy Centre. It makes it seem an absolute hell-hole.

• Like 1

I dunno, Ian, but he gives golfers a bad name, dressed like that! Diamond patterned jumper with check trousers, a no-no.

• Upvote 1