A few random photos - 2

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those seeking an alternative to politics......... Long Row in 1970. The top of Maid Marian Way, the rear of the old ABC cinema just visible on the right. St Peter's Square

I go on a gardening web site where at the moment they are on about Pugh-Ernly- Whippingstool and his programme to try and stop child obesity.   They didn't think much to my comments of feed

LizzeM  thanks I knew I was old, I used to go round all the stations regularly and knew most of them, after I retired I never went on a station for about 7 years, I then went on one where I served for

What about red label marge from the Co-op and bread and dripping 

I liked Haddock in milk and now pay a fortune for Smoked Haddock at a restaurant 

Toast and dripping with loads of pepper, a feast fit for a king, no good for my cholesterol but there must be some enjoyment in life.

• Like 1

Whenever I arrive back in the UK the first thing I eat is a 3 pack of Crunchies and when i leave I smuggle back custard powder, mint sauce and a couple of big bottles of Daddies Sauce. I can’t eat a fried breakfast without Daddies Sauce. 

My jobs on a Sunday morning used to be to chop sticks for firelighters and then pick the mint from the garden, chop it up, mix it with vinegar and then add salt and pepper. 

• Like 2

I go on a gardening web site where at the moment they are on about Pugh-Ernly- Whippingstool and his programme to try and stop child obesity.

They didn't think much to my comments of feed em bread and lard plenty of salt on top, lard to be replaced by beef dripping on good days, for sweets bread and marge topped with sugar. Then make em walk to school, compulsory PT and games at school. No computer, one hour TV and out to play with friends physical play that is not smart phones and watch the weight drop of them.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 2

Ian 

Last time I was around the Ainsley Estate, which was probably 10 years ago (the local estate chip shop had closed ages before). I was searching for decent food and ended up at a chippie opposite the old Capitol Cinema on Bobbers Mill. It was run as both a Fish and Chip shop and a Chinese Take Away. The cod and chips with mushy peas were great. The wife, who knows no better, being from London, had pie and chips with curry sauce and still talks about it today. We then went up to the Whitemoor and finished off with a few pints (wife had a shandy) - yum yum yum

• Like 1

Re. the Empire pic. I remember sheltering under that glass awning during a violent storm, mid '60's. Very large hailstones crashing down which broke some of the glass and cut my head.

I can’t remember the names of the streets but my Grandma lived in a genuine 2 up 2 down with a outside toilet, a common paved yard in the back and a tin bath hanging on a nail on the back wall. There was a beer off on the corner that sold draft beer. Her luxury was to have a 2 pint water jug filled every night 

• 2 weeks later...

Met Mrs PP there.....remember her skipping off the floor after a dance and I thought, hey! she's something special. Could not believe my luck when she asked me to dance for the ladies excuse me. She still maintains that she was heading for my mate but he dodged behind a pillar, so she had to ask me, to keep face. My mate was to become our best man a year later :biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Thats john hollands Roger..a relation of mine.

I know Albert Holland to speak to, and a few other members of the family when I'm on the grounds, usually at pull-on or build up. - I'm a funfair enthusiast - always have been since my first memorable visit to Goose Fair in 1958 !!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1
21 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Going on the road with a fun fair sounds very cool and romantic. 

As a 15 year old Martyn I got a job on the Goose Fair Dodgems, very hard graft !

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Just the other week was down in Keema, Houston and my grandson (8) wants to go on a loop d loop. I said you are to young for that ride, I’ll take you on the roller coaster. Granson whines, his father says Ill take you on - Grandad is chicken. They get up there back and forth, back and forth, then hanging upside down for a bit then a full circle or 2. Son in law gets off and has to sit down because he’s going to be sick. After about another half hour decides he has to go home an leaves us with the grandkids. Ha!

Same as happened to me years ago at the American Adventure, never again !

• Like 2

When my kids were younger my wife would leave for the UK almost as soon as the schools finished. She would then divide her time between her family in London and Ireland and mine in Nottingham. My Dad, once he had retired would then take over and he would take them fishing, to the parks, along the river and to places like American Adventure. Where he and my Daughter were fearless.   

• Like 1

Think the tone of this thread......leaves much to be desired.......common  Vulgar and Rude..........don't need it..........

sumat in the rules i'm sure..............

• Like 2
2 hours ago, philmayfield said:

Sadly not still with me anymore but is still around in Cheshire with very low mileage. E33 UGP,  a Plus 8. It was a former Earl's Court Motorfair exhibit. I sold it to build a Caterham 7. It was my second Morgan, the first being a 4/4 which now lives in Australia. I would like another but could I still get in one? I did have a Lotus Elise until a couple of years ago and that was getting a bit tight to enter and exit! 

Got to have been a thrill with both Morgans and the Elise probably wasn’t too shabby either 

My wife has a Cayman S, which I avoid given the size issue, I have a GMC Denali 1500 which will not only take me but the kitchen sink as well. 

I had a Cayman when they first came out some years ago. I really liked it. I subsequently had a a 911 and although a more iconic car I though the Cayman was more fun to drive. I chopped my 911 and Lotus Elise in for a F Type coupe. More suitable car for the elderly! :biggrin:

• Like 2

I agree the regular 911 is a little boring, unlike the S, Turbo etc, but then you are getting into real money. I’ve looked at the F Type and it is not bad at all but once again you get into some serious money for the 550 hp. Over here the Corvette with the same 6.2 liter engine as my truck (0-60 in 3.7 sec) is the one I and my bank balance would like but my wife prefers the Porche. I used to have a CTSV, again with the 6.2 liter, 550 hp 8 speed and that was great and would get another one except I love my truck.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember Derby Road being one way from Canning Circus towards the city from at least the early 1960's. I used to go on the Trent bus (#60 and 61 series) to Mount St bus station. Inward was down Wollaton St. from Canning Circus, Tollhouse Hill, Mount St. Outward was up Derby Road to Canning Circus then the inward and outward routes conjoined on Alfreton Rd.