A few random photos - 2

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those seeking an alternative to politics......... Long Row in 1970. The top of Maid Marian Way, the rear of the old ABC cinema just visible on the right. St Peter's Square

I go on a gardening web site where at the moment they are on about Pugh-Ernly- Whippingstool and his programme to try and stop child obesity.   They didn't think much to my comments of feed

LizzeM  thanks I knew I was old, I used to go round all the stations regularly and knew most of them, after I retired I never went on a station for about 7 years, I then went on one where I served for

I think Derby Road was 2 way while ever there were trolleybuses running. There was a service from town, via Derby road, Canning Circus, Alfreton road, Bentinck road through Hyson Green etc. and back. I can't recall trolleybuses going down Wollaton street. But I do remember inbound Trolleybuses struggling to negotiate the roundabout at Chapel Bar/Derby road.

Maybe that route was withdrawn earlier than the others but I don't thinks so because of the 43/44 routes. I used to catch one from the Albert Hotel to the Sneinton area when I worked down there, 63-ish. But I can't remember when they switched to motor buses either.

It was at that time when Canning Circus was a separate roundabout with flowers and grass on it where the pedestrian area is now in front of the Pubs. Derby rd Ilkeston rd and Alfreton rd went through and joined the circus at the city side of the Borlase Warren/Falcon junction.

Ian you may be thinking of the German chap who looked after all the book keeping, which for a part 5 dealer was a full time job and bugger me I can't think of his name either but he was always based in the shop.

Try another one Dave Mitchell expert on all things centre fire.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
51 minutes ago, denshaw said:

Doctors surgerys usually had Readers Digest, always old ones.

Laughter is the best medicine!  No side effects or prescription charges! smile2

• Like 1
7 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Dr.Turner on The Ropewalk was my GP and was convinced reception magazines...and the touching of...were a breeding ground.No gas fire here either.."Gods fresh air" was this man's

raison d'etre.

Sounds like a cheapskate!

• Like 1

As a kid, I fished from the gravel spit where Fairham Brook flows into the Trent. It was considered the best place to fish  although I never had much luck there, then again I was never a good angler. 

A lad, older and bigger decided to push me out of the way and threatened to throw my tackle in the water if I didn't move. After some huffing and puffing I left, but I knew him and knew his bicycle. 

A rod rest has a nice point. A rod rest easily goes through a bike tyre. It's quite a way to walk carrying fishing gear whilst pushing a bike with two punctures.

Some time later he caught me on the street and thought he would extract retribution. What he didn't know was that the lady walking some distance behind me was my mam...

Never had any more trouble from him after that.

Would that be Albert Iremonger the Notts County goalkeeper and Notts CC cricketer?

If so he was my grandad's sporting hero and he kept the Cremorne in The Meadows (closed in 2005, now flats) before the Ferry

Image result for cremorne pub nottingham

• 1 year later...

I recall having T.B. test at school  only to find shortly  afterwards  I had to go FOREST DENE for x- Ray's etc , i recall a DR ROBERTS and i was having to go there a fair bit . I eventually  was admitted to the ( RANSOM SANITORIUM   for T.B ) I was only 14 at the time , because my grandmother  had had T.B. and I was a close contact and had to undergo  tests to find out what was wrong with me. I was put on a women's  ward as to old for children's 

ward , I only saw my mum 1 day a week as I was the eldest of 8 . The tests really frightened  me in particular  this one  , BRONCHOSCAPY , as I was alone with the Dr during the whole  scary time . I was diagnosed  with  BRONCHIECTOSIS   of which I have suffered  throughout  my life . At aged about 22 I was rushed in to the same hospital  with double pneumonia  and pluerisy  , I was in a bad way , it was very serious  I was looking down on my own body and the next I was being  pulled up towards a bright  light down a dark tunnel  , something I will never forget .I have tried to obtain medical  notes of mine but to no avail . A former  patient  from the mid 1960s and 1970s .

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

My paternal grandmother, Kate, was a patient at the same place for some time. I believe this was during the war as my father was away in the navy at the time. My aunt, who is almost 90, recalls going to visit her mother and struggling at home to look after the youngest child, Claude, born in 1939 and died 4 weeks ago, with the help of her elder sister, Mary, who was a nurse.

Grandma was eventually found not to have TB but suffered a collapsed lung. Her bed and those of other patients was sometimes parked outside in the snow. She didn't suffer any ill effects and lived to be almost 90. 

1 hour ago, Jill Sparrow said:

Claude, born in 1939 and died 4 weeks ago, with the help of her elder sister, Mary, who was a nurse.

???   Is it me?   :Shock:

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...

notty ash it is a Humber Super Snipe it had the Blue Ribband six cylinder engine 4.1 litre ohv exellent fuel economy 12mpg if you were lucky worked on them in the late 50s and early 60s. I think they put the same engine in the Commer lorry. I wish i had one now just for shows.

I can't find the Notty Ash post referred to, but near to me is Alan Marshall, the Humber collection. He is selling his cars, now's your chance !

I think shipping to you would put you off though. 

I have a Commer with the Blue Riband in it, gobbled so much juice I converted it to LPG .

His cars are for sale on ebay but internet searches will bring stuff up aswell.

Regards all

8 hours ago, fogrider said:

I can't find the Notty Ash post referred to, but near to me is Alan Marshall, the Humber collection. He is selling his cars, now's your chance !

1 hour ago, IAN FINN said:

Hi fogrider i cannot find nottyashes post either i thought it would have been here if i find it i will let you know Ian.

I guess this is the one in question.   https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/15580-a-few-random-photos-2/?tab=comments#comment-476971

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
On 7/24/2018 at 9:56 AM, denshaw said:

Iremongers pond, something to do with Albert Iremonger landlord of nearby Ferry pub. I Went to school near there and we always knew it as Georges pond.

Like you denshaw, when I went to Roland green, we always knew it as 'George's ' pond. The field on the other side of the road was where the pit ponies stayed!, When they came out of the pit.

• Like 1
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 months later...
On 5/22/2016 at 10:29 AM, Cliff Ton said:

Looking at Poohbear's link, the writer says he worked in "the Weights & Measures Office, Exchange Alley". So it's one of the rooms on here, which was down the south side of the Exchange building.

The front of the Exchange is on the left, facing the Market Square. "Poultry" along the bottom is where the Flying Horse was.

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae24/kc29_2010/kc29_2010001/exchange1_zpsplwes4q9.jpg

You know Cliff Ton, I never thought I'd live long enough to ever read the sad words: 'Where the Flying Horse was'