A few random photos - 2

A few photos I've found around the net in the last few weeks.

The Exchange, obviously before the Council House replaced it, so pre-1920s.

Exchange%20market_zps9igj19j3.jpg

Victoria Station in its very early days.

victoria_zpsiva1h5ea.jpg

Trolley bus at the bottom end of St Ann's Well Road.

trolley2_zpsqaiipq36.jpg

Bulwell Viaduct, looking north-west-ish.

bulwell%20viad_zps2b5vgskk.jpg

• Upvote 9
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

For those seeking an alternative to politics......... Long Row in 1970. The top of Maid Marian Way, the rear of the old ABC cinema just visible on the right. St Peter's Square

I go on a gardening web site where at the moment they are on about Pugh-Ernly- Whippingstool and his programme to try and stop child obesity.   They didn't think much to my comments of feed

LizzeM  thanks I knew I was old, I used to go round all the stations regularly and knew most of them, after I retired I never went on a station for about 7 years, I then went on one where I served for

Yes cliff-ton.............apart from the main feature in each one,i have a personal different memory in each,

2...........Marsdens Cafe (the building anyway)

3...........Locarno

4.......... Railway club,Bestwood road.

edited to 2,3,4,..........think we all have memories in picture 1.

• Upvote 1

Yes cliff-ton.............apart from the main feature in each one,i have a personal different memory in each,

2...........Marsdens Cafe (the building anyway)

Do you mean the place a bit further along Milton Street? Otherwise I'm confused.

Yes cliff-ton a really big building,...........never went in,but it was what they'd call today their 'Flagship' building.

There have been photos on here of it,can't remember which Topic..............

Thanks Katy...........but i'm sure one of the two bigger buildings was originally also Marsdens,perhaps they downsized to the one in the photo,......i'm also sure there is a photo of that as well.

Benjamin.

There is a photo dated 1897, showing a Marsdens shop, it is probably near to where the Hilton hotel is now. It states that it was one of their earliest shops, and was demolished in order to build Victoria station.

The book is A century of Nottingham by Douglas Whitworth.

Thanks for that Ray............ive often wondered when Marsdens started,the earliest evidence ive seen so far is a picture showing the Marsdens name in Bulwell 1934............i'm sure Marsdens Cafe was one of the large buildings next to victoria station and existed in the late 50s.

notty ash,

Car on the left I believe is a 1954'ish is a Vauxhall Velox or could be Wyvern.

Car on the right is I believe is a 1950'ish Austin A40 Devon

Car in the middle is now my 'dream car' of unrecognised manufacture. could be Ford, Morris, Austin !!! They were 10 a penny weren't they back then, but wow, it would be just nice to have one on the drive, wouldn't it !

• Upvote 1

Dont know one car from another but I thought it was a vauxall velox because my dad had one

Thanks Notty but no I know it's a Vauxhall and not a Humber.

Just had a look at our wedding photos; a Super Snipe was our hired wedding car. I wouldn't have dared use anything other than a Coventry car. Just about everyone worked in the car factories in those days.

This has jogged my memory. I recall going from home in New Basford down to a Routes dealership, I think in Upper Parliament St to specifically see the new two tone Sunbeam Rapier with wings. Beautiful. Never realised in a couple of years I would be living in the middle of the British car industry. Having a great interest in motors you'd have thought that's where I'd finish up working but in fact I went into the construction industry and probably went into every car factory in Coventry carrying out my surveyor duties.

A fascinating couple of pages of life on the market written by someone who worked there when photo 1 on this thread was taken.

EVERYTHING could be bought there in those days....thousands of small traders all making a living without big business paying peanuts and taking all the profits.

http://www.nottshistory.org.uk/monographs/nottinghammarketplace/marketplace1.htm

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Photo number one is pre 1901.

After 1901 the market stalls were placed across the market place & not along it.

This happened at about the same time as the introduction of the electric trams

#22 poohbear, Thank you for the link; it is so interesting and well written. The description of the area really gets the imagination going. I have read about three pages so far; the writer is just describing the soon to arrive Goose Fair, so I am looking forward to that part. Knowing the modern day areas that are being described it gives added interest to note the changes. A very lively place in those days.

In one part the writer refers to "The Back Place" in his office, it brought to mind memories of our house on the "Pit Estate" Gedling, when we first moved in around 1958/9?. We only used the back door as ours was an end house so was easily accessed, and was always unlocked. On entering this door; there was a small room, no idea what it was for, later knocked through to extend the kitchen. When anyone referred to that room, it was always just called "The Back Place".

All the other rooms had titles; Bedrooms, Kitchen, Bathroom etc, bar for one which was called "The Front Room", it wasn't at the front, it ran sideways, I suppose "Living Room" was a better title, but Back or Front, we always knew where we were referring to.

• Upvote 1

Looking at Poohbear's link, the writer says he worked in "the Weights & Measures Office, Exchange Alley". So it's one of the rooms on here, which was down the south side of the Exchange building.

The front of the Exchange is on the left, facing the Market Square. "Poultry" along the bottom is where the Flying Horse was.

exchange1_zpsplwes4q9.jpg

Very interesting, it looks as if there were Billiard Rooms over on the right hand side, perhaps above premises. Also on the left in Exchange Alley, I can see Waiting Rooms. Any idea what that would be for?

I used to love walking up there in the 60s. I used to call in one of the shops whenever I could and buy Crystallised Ginger for Mam, we all developed a taste for it.