Cliff Ton

A few random photos - 2

Thanks Cliff,6 floors!! crikey.please keep up these pictures I appreciate the effort and time- but they are worth it.

Before Maid Marion Way was constructed,how did the Salutation sit in it's surroundings.. can't picture it at all,regards again-Ian.

PS: what's with the tram in photo.2? Were they still running?

What's the name of the street running off Friar Lane, centre left in the photo? My wife reckons Mount Street, where the bus station was.

I don't think that is a tram, Ian. Looks to me like a double decker with it's top partially obscured by a tree.

I don't think that is a tram, Ian. Looks to me like a double decker with it's top partially obscured by a tree.

If you enlarge the picture it looks like a tram to me.

Don't forget trams were running in Nottingham till 1937

What's the name of the street running off Friar Lane, centre left in the photo? My wife reckons Mount Street, where the bus station was.

That road is Granby Street, at its junction with Friar Lane which is going off towards the Square. Mount Street gets a bigger mention in one of the "Nottingham from Above" pictures. http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14705 The corner you are referring to is in the top right corner of the "Above" picture.

Before Maid Marion Way was constructed,how did the Salutation sit in it's surroundings.. can't picture it at all,regards again-Ian.

The area with the Castle and factory is in more detail in this "...from Above". http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=14629

The Salutation is there but you can't really see it because it's hidden by trees. Look in the lower right near St Nicholas' church - which is the one still on Maid Marian Way.

Great looking at these!

Is that a chapel on Spaniel Row?

I can't believe how many substantial buildings were pulled down to construct that horrible thoroughfare.

Chapel on Spaniel Row. Apparently a "Catholic Apostolic Church"......whatever that means. The white building at the top corner is now the site of the "Ned Ludd".

spaniel%20row_zpsykdlb3m3.jpg

• Upvote 1

If you enlarge the picture it looks like a tram to me.

Don't forget trams were running in Nottingham till 1937

You could be right, BW, but that picture of the square looks newer than that to me. What do I know though? I'm just a nipper, only been around since 44. :-) Don't know how old I was when I first saw slab square.

Ian, I don't think the hooch 'ad owt to do we it. Lol.

I agree it looks like a tram - but its position suggests it is on the pavement rather than on the road? Maybe some kind of special display? The trolleybuses suggest a post-war date.

This answers the question about the tram and bus outside Griffin & Spalding. There was a central island in the road, where buses loaded from one side, and trams loaded from the pavement alongside the Square. Trams may have finished by this photo but the lines are still visible in the road.

long%20row_zpsgzweoxy8.jpg

And you can see the Lyons cafe in the background.

• Upvote 3

Yes Ian. A meeting place for 60s teenagers.

I was fishing in the "gone pubs" area yesterday and there was a snap of the Queen passing Tavern in the Town pub in a black Roller..I am wondering did that car then travel up Derby Road?- to which I duly waved my flag too outside St.Mary's School.

Circa '66-'67?

#25 And some tram lines could be in situ covered in tarmac?

I'd say you are right Andy,do remember seeing them under tarmac at Forest rd.near hangman's hill.

My Dad did recall tram lines in town being lifted for the war effort,in particular the railings on Shakespeare st.

I served at central, the funeral was before my time, it was a great place to work but no place to park on days,

• Like 1

Maypole Yard. The doorway at the end was the entrance to Coleman's Dancing Academy in the 50's. Went there regularly on Friday social night.

• Like 1

I just did a search for the water clock and found quite a bit of info - which I will research later. I was distracted, though, by some of the descriptions of the recent/current Viccy Centre. It makes it seem an absolute hell-hole.

• Like 1

Found these recently...i learn something new everyday on this site.59864.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpgBank Holiday speedway racing at White City Speedway Track, Colwick...1927.60600.1.620.640.FFFFFF.jpgAspley youth Club on a parade in Nottm City..shops in the background might assist in locale?41291.1.640.640.FFFFFF.jpgin the depot and lower deck of NCT bus no.229..1947.