Had some dealings with that store Engineer in the early 80s cant recall the name a woman owned it............

My sis worked there so when someone remembers I'll no doubt say: "Yes, that's it!" Will it be the one that is Londis now?

Don't think so, I'd have thought I would remember and Pitt means nothing to me; not ruling it out though. I've got Mace and Spar floating around but again, not sure. If it bugs me too much I'll be down the Archives looking at old phone directories.

EDIT: N & J Pitt are a taximeter service company in Basford (taxitronic.co.uk)

Pitt'....that rings a bell.......don't think it was a 'Spar or Mace'.......i'm sure i would have remembered,as it was my brief to target all mace and spar shops,with a view to get them to trade with the VG organisation,......which also it was'nt............

Probably a lot more more recent, but a search shows at some point before the Londis, 18 Beech Ave was 'Beech Stores' run by a couple called Oldham.

From an '80s PTP image, apparently the Taximeter shop was opposite.

Right, just said "Pitt" and got a couple of responses "Yes, that's it!" Nora and John suggested as the N & J.

From '75 til' '84 this was a familiar area.Hings Chinese takeaway, Elm Tree boozer,Gold & Dunne,Riley's painters on Falcon Street.Tazzed around on a 175 Honda- they were the shizz...nippy and strong!

There was a tool- hire place at the top of Nottm rd/Falcon st.

Chinned two pups who started on me late one night- Dad arrived to pick me up in his Oxford to find me with no shirt and one of them crying in the gutter!

Pitt family ran the mini- market and 2nd hand shop across the road,there was a sub post office painted red.

Still have 3 albums bought in Pitts:

Mass in F Minor/Electric Prunes.

Message From the Country/The Move.

Song Remains the Same/Led Zep.

Great times...often nipped down to the Dorchester on Hamilton Road for Dover Sole and trimmings.

Not long after I left Thorn in 1975 they moved to Blenheim Industrial Estate in Bulwell. Gold and Dunn closed and some of the employees set up in Sandiacre (I think). No idea what happened to Birkins.

I walked around this area one Sunday morning last year,very run down.

Even when I creep on Google Earth and look at the housing estates I once lived on- they are tips!

No pride of ownership- every tenant was a topiary expert and box privet was top banana.

Obviously the sound of shears clipping has been replaced by ragga and Mr.Kyle.

Oh OK thanks Catfan. I moved away from Nottingham in 1975 for 30 years. When I returned a few years ago my old Dad wanted me to take him to Gold & Dunn (on Beech Avenue!) to buy a new 3 piece suite. On investigation I established that someone to do with the original company had a place in Sandiacre or maybe Stapleford. I expect it was one of the original younger salesmen. You worked there didn't you Catfan?