One of the photos in this thread http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=15580&hl= included part of Chapel Bar in the mid 60s. It made me realise that area doesn't have a thread of its own.

Chapel Bar used to look ok.

chapel1_zpsfy938hvb.jpg

Then the rot set in. (Same location)

chapel8_zpsf9jqcxky.jpg

Back in the 20s.

chapel7_zpsljyuzavh.jpg

Halfway through messing with it in the 60s.

chapel3_zpshgslwaru.jpg

And looking up Derby Road. (on the left)

chapel5_zpskwhw98wb.jpg

• Upvote 12

Done it again Cliff,excellent!

Photo.1 i can just make out The Fox past the canvas demolition sheeting.Post Office Austin is on the roundabout. Who's selling wines& spirits?

Photo.2 that awful bank became an employment agency in the 80's.

Above the Simca and Marina you can see Smalley's and Brittains running flush with the ABC.

Photo.3 has a wow! factor.

Photo.4 nice early Doormobile,those buildings were ready for the Watts treatment, wonder what's on at The Canon?

Photo.5 chapel Bar garage on the right.Rose and Thistle up further- the new rear part of Co-operative has yet to be built, will we see buses/trams coming down Derby rd.again?

Cheers Cliff.

Looking at an old map, that road back then was known as Toll Street, so it's slightly changed. Modern equivalent of the bottom photo is approximately this. The red brick building on the right is in both versions.

toll_zps1xamtvc3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Was there ever a music or musical instrument shop on Chapel Bar called Robinsons? I am thinking about 1920's here.

Going back to that picture looking up Derby Road, there appears to be a rather nice art-deco style garage on the right which bears the names Chapel and Garage.

If it was called Chapel Bar Garage, it wasn't exactly on Chapel Bar, was it?

Was there ever a music or musical instrument shop on Chapel Bar called Robinsons? I am thinking about 1920's here.

There was a John McLellan, Pianoforte and Music Dealer at 5 Derby Road (i.e. at the very bottom, opposite Chapel Bar)

Going back to that picture looking up Derby Road, there appears to be a rather nice art-deco style garage on the right which bears the names Chapel and Garage.

If it was called Chapel Bar Garage, it wasn't exactly on Chapel Bar, was it?

This is closer when it was being demolished. Geography wasn't their strong point.

chapel%20bar_1.jpg

• Upvote 2

It may not look it at first sight, but it's the same building - look at the decorative brickwork on the front right corner. In the 1920s photo Hickling's hadn't got their name across the top; and the quality of the photo makes the place look dirtier and darker.

And the clock sticking out on the wall is on all the photos.

Another thing I've noticed in the picture of the demolition of the garage is what appears to be a pedestrian subway, presumably going under the bottom of Derby Road.

I never knew there was a subway there, how long did it last?

• Upvote 1

At one time Chapel Bar went as far as the toll bar area,it was one road- from the ABC,say.

Was this a city entrance point when Nottm was walled?

Good guess. The wall went down Park Row and along Parliament St with a gate at Chapel Bar.

edit They uncovered part of the wall at Chapel Bar once. The gate was apparently demolished in 1743

https://sixtiespixnottingham.wordpress.com/nottinghams-medieval-town-wall/

http://www.gatehouse-gazetteer.info/English%20sites/2891.html

• 2 years later...

Hmmm... I don't think I imagined it. I remember the Kong Nam well. I sat at the bay window table numerous times.

The Shing Fat was proud of it Cantonese Cuisine - so much so it was on the name board. It was quite posh - all done in cinnabar red and gilt. It was a bit further up than the Kong Nam. Date 1974 - 78 period.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

^^^^^^^^No not proper ones.

When I did mine I started in Jan 62, but only signed in the September when they had decided I was suitable.Then five years, day release and two nights every week and went through every department on EMGAS including the offices, Basford works and sale showroom in town.

Some of this you would never use again but when you passed out there was nothing you did not know about the production, transportation and use of gas.

Now days its is all broke down into small lumps, everyone does basic gas safety and then it depends on what you want to do, as every part of the job needs an exam which we pay for many guys restrict themselves, so a kitchen fitter will be able to deal with hobs and cookers but nothing else.

My man will go for reassessment in January and it will cost me just short of £2000, as he can deal with just about anything domestic except LPG and this is every five years............

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I remember being in Midland Carpets with my mother (early/ mid-'60s) and being approached by a middle-aged couple who were insistent that I attend to them rather than turn carpet samples over for someone who was obviously not going to buy anything (referring to my mother). Being polite and obliging (as I was in those days) I went over to a real carpet salesman and brought them to his attention. Their response was something to the effect of "Don't know why you couldn't serve us rather than attending to that timewaster" - I omitted expletives for politeness. Not been lost for words very often but that was one occasion.

Thurland Street - Corn Exchange where they used to hold mock auctions (that right?). Some of the stuff they sold was real tat but I did get a real 9ct hallmarked gold watch from them which I eventually sold for scrap at a price quite a bit higher than I paid for it. I also got a few real Chinese porcelain coffee sets which kept me stocked up in wedding presents for several years.

I note that GSV shows the Corn Exchange is still there but anonymised and up for sale/rent.

• Like 1

Yes, tat and bargains at County Sales in equal measure. Think it used to be County 5% Sales. Sicura watches were good buys, very cheap, later taken over by Breitling. Lots of good radios too.

Jonab's remark about the carpet tickled me. One day in John Lewis, an elderly couple approached and asked me about Plasma tvs when they were fairly new to the market. I asked them some questions, recommended a Panasonic I think it was, went through the features and gave them a demonstration with the remote control.  Yes, that'll suit us fine, when can you deliver. Just a sec, I said, I'll get someone to complete the sale. Can you do it, you've been so helpful and we want to make sure you get your commission. I explained John Lewis staff don't actually receive commission, but thanks and I hope you enjoy your purchase. I found someone to complete the sale off, by which time my wife had returned from the loo and we continued with our shopping.

• Like 3

Yes Phil , County Sales which did become the Clinton  Rooms was a few doors from La Buca. There was a passage way leadingto the back of the restaurant then there was the carpet shop. 

Saturday nights was always a problem with people using the passage as a loo. But Alex being ever one step ahead solved the problem by fixing some sort of shock

(Effective but harmless)once wet. It worked but he was quick to hide the evidence.

:Shock:.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1