Hooray!!!!!! Thanks for that, Ian.

The place is exactly the opposite side of the road to where I remember it being.

This thread is stirring so many memories for me. I afraid that I have no memory of La Buca though. When was it operating?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jonab said:

Hooray!!!!!! Thanks for that, Ian.

The place is exactly the opposite side of the road to where I remember it being.

This thread is stirring so many memories for me. I afraid that I have no memory of La Buca though. When was it operating?

70’s when we used to go but Nonna will be along soon to say. They had 2 in Radcliffe and one in Bridgford I think.

• Like 1

Yes Phil thats right. La Buca Jonab was opened in 1978 ( or 1976)  we were there for many years and in the meantime opened Da Vinci in WB, also Ponte Vecchio on Trent Bridge. Memories a bit blurred so cant give you exact years La Buca used to be The Old Dutch and we got it at a good price as the owners were bankrupt. The place was in a terrible state and in doing a lot of work inside my husband found a big hole behind the bar. Hence the name La Buca. While there he eventually had a waiter who became a partner in Ponte Vecchio. ( ex Bridge Cafe) One of our ex waiters managed it whilst Carlo ( partner) ran his own business at canning circus. Valentinos. Da Vinci ended badly because of incompatabilty. From there we opened Puccini in Radcliffe then we came once again to live back in Italy. We opened a restaurant there which catered in weddings etc but the findings of old documents proved that it wasnt the bargain we thought, so it was given back to the original owners. We lost a lot of money but hey ho we bounced back.  We bought the walls and business of a bar in the village where we live and sold at a great profit.

Went back to Nottingham and opened L'Angolo again in Radcliffe and in 2000 came back here and our son and daughter got married the same year.

Don't think Ive missed out anything apart from my daughter followed in fathers footsteps and opened a restaurant here then 3 years ago my son opened a restaurant here too. Both restaurants have certificates of excellence so all in all we have achieved something and we're proud of them  and me of my husband.

• Like 1

Nonna, very interesting! The timeline you give sort of fits in with my preparations to leave Nottingham so I am not entirely surprised that I missed La Buca although I do remember the Old Dutch (but never patronised it).

I remember an Italian restaurant near Canning Circus early '70s. I used to frequent the Portland Arms and went to the restaurant after the pub closed. The pub was (is) on Portland Road. The restaurant was on Alfreton Road opposite Cromwell Street.

Been doing some deep memory digging about exactly when I left Nottingham.

I gave up my keys to Second Avenue on the 2nd of January 1978 (a Monday) and moved to Ashford, Kent. Then, wouldn't you just know it, the following Monday I received a message that my father had died so I had to lug myself back to Nottingham for his funeral. I was pretty much estranged from him and there was little, if any, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

The next time I was in Nottingham was about eight years later for my aunt Dorothy's funeral. I had moved from Ashford then and was living in Sussex and effectively commuting to France on a two-week/two-week basis. This was April 1986 and while I was in the UK, the Chernobyl disaster occurred. This was of great concern as the radioactive cloud from this was directed towards the French Riviera - where I was working.

• Like 1

Yes Ian L'Angolo was Roses garage. We later sold it to Ashmores ( 2 brothers and wives) we had decided to return to Italy and James my son was due for national service so a bit of a predicament. Things with moving werent quick and in the mean time an Italian friend of ours who lived in Radcliffe told us they were trying to find caterers at the golf club as those they had had left . We thought it would help to pass a little time in case things were still going slow with moving. We got the job and enjoyed it but it was hard work. A lot of our customers were golfers and they were pleased that we were there. We upgraded all the social events connected with food. We eventuall y stayed longer than we intended but we sent our furniture over and spent the last few weeks staying at the flat there. It was during this time that Diana died.    We still hear from many of the customers we got friendly with and some have been over to see us which is lovely to think they thought so much of us.

As for James doing his national service he spent some time in France and managed to get out of it.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Before L'Angelo the building was a Garage. For many years it was a sales and repair service..Richard Rose sold cars there.He retired in 1993..L'Angelo leased it and became a fine establishment..it became a French Restaurant later.

Ian forgot to add this but Richard Rose leased the restaurant to us. we refurbished it in 94 . We came back to Nottingham in May 1994 and by Christmas we were open and delighted to find a load of old customers had  followed Alex over the years

• 2 years later...
  • 5 months later...