19634A1_zpswyygutuo.jpg

Not sure where this photo fits in with Bazzer's 62/63 but it was supplied by Sheila Lancaster and was in the Evening Post on Jan 20th 1998 to celebrate a 50th year for pupils that attended 1959-63.

I think this was the year above my 64/65 photo and I recognise some faces but can't be sure of any of the names. I'm sure Bazzer & carni must recognise some of these?

• Upvote 4

Don't recognise any of those . Barely recognise the teacher , is it Mr Greenwood ?

I did go out for a short while with a girl called Christine Ford who was in the year above us (in fact we went to see the Beatles at the Odeon together in 63 !) Can't pick her out here though .

I was in the G1 band all the way through until leaving school in 1963, but my memory must be failing me because I don't recognise anyone at all. I think at one stage Mr Greenwood was my form teacher, but if that is him, I don't recognise him either.

It looks like Mr Greenwood (wearing a school tie?) and middle of the back row could be Peter Cummings but I don't know where I plucked that name from! I suppose Sheila Lancaster is in there somewhere, could be middle row on the right!

Bloody hell now that's a blast from the past, my class just before leaving, I knew Sheila, she's middle row, last girl on right next to Roy Leach, my old school mate.Then Chris Hastings, Will Gardner, I'm in there as well, Jim Welton 3rd from right back row, Peter Downes on his left, Frank Ransom 4th from left middle row, Derek Culley Middle top row,

Front row second girl, Mary Marshall, Margaret Thorley, know the other faces but no more names come to me.

And yes the dreaded Mr Greenwood our teacher. First boy back row Roger Malinsky I think, and last boy top row Roger Kershaw.

And top row 5th from left is Frank Ransome's cousin another Ransom but can't think of his first name.

Will rack my brain for more.

Another think, middle row first girl from left Andrea Fearn, front row 4th from left Pamela Philpot, front row 5th from right, Roberts but can't remember first name.

Second boy from left middle row, Ian Jennings, he was bullyed something awful for some reason, used to feel really sorry for him at the time.

Top row 5th from right, the (Billy Fury lookalike) was Gerald or Gerard but again no surname.

The two Rogers you mention , Malinsky and Kershaw , I think were good footballers. Seem to remember their names from the school team, though they were a year above me .

• Upvote 1

DavidW

Yes correct, David, in fact they were the "blue eyed boys" of most sports there.

Amazing how a photo shakes up the memory cells, I would never have remembered hardly any of those names, but looking at the photo, they seemed to jump into my head again.

Some I'm still struggling with though.

Well done Banjo, I knew we'd find someone that would name names. I made a comment on another post that we didn't have a lot to do with those in the years above and below us. It's now clear that we didn't even know who was in the other classes in our own year!

I am really enjoying all the photo's and names that you all are coming up with. The names and faces are vaguely familiar to me, but it is about 53 years since I left Gedling Secondary Modern and 50years since leaving Gedling. Keep them coming. Both topics are brilliant, thank you for the memories they are bringing back for me.

# 6 and # 8

There was a Roger Malinski at Carlton-Le-Willows Grammar School. Just checked and he was a year older than me, start year 1960. Can't remember what he looked like but could it be the same person?

It will be the same one Roger & his sister(twin?) both transferred to Carlton-Le-Willows Grammar School. 1963 or 64?.

Katrina Malinski ??

I have a vague recollection of Roger Malinski going on to Carlton Le Willows, I left in 63, and I'm fairly positive he was definitely still at Gedling then.

Last evening I again racked the old brain and came up with another of the boys names, but this am it's gone again, gosh cannot believe it is 53 years ago !

Just realised that the photo must have been taken earlier in 63, because Will Gardner left early, maybe at Easter ? as he was almost a year older than me.

So maybe Malinski left then as well.

#5 come on then banjo where are you?

Sorry sue, only living in the antipodes we sleep different hours to you guys. :sleeping:

Another flash of memory, front row 4th girl from right, Linda Hearson, god where did that come from !

• Upvote 1

Sorry banjo I should have said where are you on the photo, not explaining myself correctly is probably why

I was in G2 all the way though school. LOL

• Upvote 1

Sorry banjo I should have said where are you on the photo, not explaining myself correctly is probably why

I was in G2 all the way though school. LOL

Come on then Sue, we've met at a meet up, I remembered you straight away from school, and Carni too (though I can't remember Carni's real name), so have a guess, which is moi ?

Oh a clue, I had hair then. :-))

Still racking the old brain for the last few names, I do remember the girl 6th from right in front row, she had a lovely low sultry voice, when she spoke, but no name comes to mind.

I keep going back to the photo as I've got it on my pc now so will keep at it.

• Upvote 1

Are you second right top row banjo, I really am useless with faces I walk past people I've known for years

and it is 6am I must try to get some sleep now.

I wouldn't recolonise any one from my school days & I cant remember anybody one the photographs either.

But as I left school in 1965(50 years is a long time) it's hardly surprising hellothere

• Upvote 1