Hi,

Can anyone tell me if staff lived on the Midland station? When you approach the station from Trent Street [which would have been the front of the original station?] there appear to be the roofs of a row of houses just surfacing above the glass/plastic roof covering of the modern station. I think the 'houses' would now be between platforms 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 and the bottoms of which are now used for cafe's and toilets etc. Many thanks.

I cannot find a picture that I can download to show you the view of what I mean - but if you go onto google street view and stand at the junction of Trent Street and Station Street you will see exactly the buildings I am referring to.

Thank you.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do apologise for posting something relating to Nottingham I don't want to upset the flow of the word & keep one games ........... But the train stations on bleddy fire .....looks like a big one?

Just sitting here at home with a glass of champagne celebrating my significant birthday. They can’t pin it on me!

Hi, Can anyone tell me if staff lived on the Midland station? When you approach the station from Trent Street [which would have been the front of the original station?] there appear to be the roofs

I haven't come across any specific references to the upper floors of the platform buildings, but the ground floors have always been used, as they mostly are now, for refreshment rooms, toilets, offices, waiting rooms, staff rooms, stores, etc. There also used to be signal boxes incorporated into them - you can still see where they used to be.

Derby midland had signal boxes on the platforms as did Nottigham Victotia & I think (not certain) did Leicerter Midland.
The old Netherfield Junction(originally Colwick West) signal box was on Netherfield station till about 1962? when the new box was built

One of the books I was looking at for information mentioned there being a Stationmaster's house when the Midland Station was rebuilt in 1903-ish. Does anyone know where that is/was? Is it what I believe is now used as offices for the British Transport Police around the corner of Queen's Road?

Looks like you're right. This is 1880s and the corner is not as sharp as now. Note the place marked as Victoria Terrace.

queensbridge_zpsqwztvwfr.jpg

And to back that up, this is the entry in a contemporary directory - No. 1 Victoria Terrace is occupied by Mr Bramley, the Midland Railway's District Inspector, and some of his side-kicks further along.

terr_zpscmxhlcla.jpg

• Upvote 1

Thank you so much - all of you - for your answers to this question. Much appreciated. Cliff has posted a very useful map of the station area - which shows that living accommodation was provided for those staff who needed to be on hand 24/7 - so were other buildings used for other staff or for work purposes?

What were the buildings in the top right hand corner of the map used for? They are the buildings whose roofs can be seen above the current station.

Just seen your post iandawson - thank you. Can you expand on your post please? i.e. what is a CIE worker?

Correct Malcolm, the wifes family have a long association with Irish rail,armed with a letter from the local Stationmaster- my SIL got a job on Midland and lived above the station.

No CV rubbish then!

What were the buildings in the top right hand corner of the map used for? They are the buildings whose roofs can be seen above the current station.

The grey areas indicate the buildings which are on the station platform, such as waiting rooms, cafes, toilets, staff rooms etc.......and also marks the canopy which covers some of the platform.

At some large stations like Trent, part of the upper floor of station buildings originally provided accommodation for catering staff who lived on site. Whether such facilities would be required in a large city where non-railway living accommodation was readily available, I don't know.

lainie3961 - you should be aware that the map at #12 shows the station as it existed in the 1880s. It was more or less completely altered when the present station was built in around 1903/04. The map below shows the present day station and it's largely the same today, apart from the removal of tracks and sidings on the south side (now a car park).

Comparing the two maps appears to show that all the houses on Queen's Road, plus Queen's Terrace and other premises (except, apparently, a pub!) were all swept away when the new station was built, and there were no houses there for staff or anyone else.

I mentioned a Stationmaster's house earlier, but it seems I misread the book and there's actually no mention of such a house - although if there was one it may still have been the present day British Transport Police building.

Untitled-Scanned-01_zpskq54gp3j.jpg

• Upvote 1

The map above is still pre 1923 as the station & goods shed are shown as owned my the Midland Railway.

The white areas on the station(between the hatched bits) are the buildings talked about in an earlier post.