A Nice Little Surprise

I just thought how nice was Bubblewraps post #10482 on "Hows your day",to recall going to fetch his new little sister home from hospital, what a lovely memory.

It got me thinking back to when I was 12yrs old and Mam was expecting a new little bundle any day. We went to bed one special night and on waking in the morning, Mam called us into the back bedroom. She had had her baby during the night, there were four of us children asleep that night and we never heard a sound. Midwife, Dad, Crying baby! never heard a thing?

I remember my sister and I bending over the Crib, absolutely loving the little bundle that was our new five pound two ounce little sis. Here is the nice little surprise. Among all of the "Oohs and Aahs", mam said" Now look the other end, and there, just as cute was another five pound bundle of joy. Twins! No one had any idea that there were two babies, not even the midwife, until one was born and the other on its way. How great is that.

I am sure that most of you have had "Nice little surprises" in your lives. I hope so. Lets hear about them, it would be interesting to share your memories.

• Upvote 15

I remember that day well carni calling for you on the way to school and didn't we all want to be little mothers

to the beautiful babies.

• Upvote 1

When I was six years old,I came in from school one day and wondered where mam was.My auntie was there and took me up to mams bedroom,and there was mam in bed with a baby,I think I said is it ours? I hadn't even been told mam was pregnant.

• Upvote 3

Takes me back a bit Carni (well takes me back 50 years actually).

In the days before ultrasound scans I had a wee surprise too when I was delivered of unexpected twins. My mam had to scoot into town and get extras of everything.

• Upvote 6

On the subject of babies and where they come from....

When I was around 8 or 9, my friend’s mother was due to give birth at home. The midwife had arrived and gone into the house. I was hanging around outside with my friend, and after a while the midwife came out of the house and went to her car.

My friend, who didn’t know much about babies, said to me “perhaps she’s gone to get the baby now”. He was under the impression that the midwife collected one from a central storage area, put it in her car, and brought it out to the next mother on the list.

• Upvote 6

#6 That is very funny.

I don't think children were involved in "Grown up matters" when we were young, so pregnancy probably wasn't discussed with us. There were four births (one baby sadly didn't survive) after I was born and I can't say I knew mam was expecting any of them. We just suddenly acquired a baby over night, no question where it came from, with exception of the baby that turned out to be twins in 1960. I suppose with the earlier pregnancies, we just noticed that mam was more cuddly sometimes. :rolleyes:

If antenatal clinics were around in the late 40s/50s,I don't think mam would have gone to one anyway, because in those days woman just took pregnancy in their stride, I'm pretty sure she didn't even go to the clinic when the unexpected twins turned up in 1960! Somehow I can't imagine my Miner dad sitting on the floor, doing breathing exercises with mam at an antenatal clinic. Ok now Bert, start panting, and don't push down!!!! The mind boggles. :biggrin:

• Upvote 1

Me too catfan,..........it was a Sat. lunch time,had to go had all the kit and balls for Park Tavern and we were kicking off at 2pm,......September 1st 1971.....trouble was she hung on till 5.30 just as i got back..............lol.

Carnie 7,.............that reminded me of when my only Girl was born in 1986 at City Hospital.........i went through it all with Donna,but i was the one on Gas and Air................

• Upvote 1

I don't blame you benjamin. lol Lovely to have the little baby when it arrives, but I am not one of the people who think child birth is a wonderful experience. I can't bear to watch birth of any kind. I am just adding a post to our new thread about it.

• Upvote 2

1975 an overdue SWMBO sent me to work at 8-30am no signs of anything happening. 10-45 I am working in a house just this side of Lincoln and get a message she had started into labour and had phoned my Dad to take her to the City. Jump in the van and hell for leather back to Nottingham arriving at the maternity unit at 12-05ish. At reception I am directed to her sideward and bed.

My surprise, empty bed...........empty cot...........nothing.......nobody. Just starting to panic and she comes walking down the ward, smiling and chatting to a nurse, turns out she had just been for a shower, its all over and the baby is in a side ward.

Time in labour 45 minutes ish. Even now I joke she did it on purpose because I had promised to be there and now she could say I failed.....

• Upvote 2