Apologies if this new topic replicates pub references on other threads. Been talking to my elderly father, whose memory isn't what it was about pubs of Old Basford from his youth. He's adamant that in the area bordered by David Lane-Mill St-Percy St-Alpine St-Church St-Lincoln St there were ELEVEN pubs. I'm sticking with ten, as follows:

Horse and Jockey, Mill Street

Rose Inn, Mill Street

Lord Nelson, Percy Street

White Swan, Church Street

Fox and Crown, Church Street

Mason's Arms, Church Street

Bleacher's Arms, Lincoln Street

Butcher's Arms, Lincoln Street

Old English Gentleman, Brown's Croft

Queen's Arms, Queen Street

So, the question is, am I missing one?

I'm not including 'outlying' drinking holes such as the Barley Mow, Duke of Newcastle, Vernon Arms etc.

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pear Tree is on Bulwell Lane. Home Ales. Here is my Great Uncle Jack Cropley enjoying a pint in there:

amended map with the added pubs now makes it 12

If you haven't already found it, there's a large selection of photos of pubs in Old Basford on this Facebook page. You could cross-check with your list.   https://www.facebook.com/pg/Basford

What you don't say, Giltbrookpie, is the years you are referring to, which might make a difference to the numbers.

I don't know Basford in the past, so this is entirely from old maps and reference material. The base map is from the 1920s, but includes places mentioned in later editions. You'll see there are eleven dots.

basford%20pubs_zpsvqv7shx3.jpg

• Upvote 1

Southwark St bubble. Still there thankfully!

Can't remember Ian, I thought it was Home Ales, but couldn't swear to it.

Been in recently, and it's still a good old fashioned proper pub.

I know what you mean Fly,if I recall it was a Suntrap in the afternoon and was a nice watering hole...especially after a horrendous day in Gerrards - which was plagued with constant Bo****ings!

Home Ales, the old grey matter still works!

I wouldn't dare argue. It has always been just referred to as 'Pear Tree' to me. All the Cropley's used that as well as Catchems. Did it become the Old Pear |Tree when there was a new on built? As G Uncle Jack was born 1899 I would guess that that picture was taken mid 60's. All I know about it is that 'it was in The Pear Tree'.

ive added the names to the pinpoints but not sure of the names of the pubs left unnamed - but that makes it 12 pubs in total - the pin under the old english gentleman refers to the newer position of the lord nelson pub

the old english gentleman wasnt pinpointed so i added it

photo basford pubs_zps9ys8ujsn.jpg

Half in each, then on to shorts...... Easy !

He's perhaps out trying to find them. LOL

• 3 months later...

Not sure if this pub is classed as being in Basford, On the bus the other day going to Notts and stopping near Bobber's Mill (I think this is what its called) The Wheatsheaf  pub was being cleaned up  boy doe's the front of it look good but I was soon disappointed when I found out it was going to be a Mc' Donalds drive through.

We are being taken over by Mc Donalds  when will it end.

24.   It probably won't end until the economy collapses and folks come back to earth with a bump.  Maybe then they will have to start eating like we did as kids, again.  The level of obesity and other ills should go down though.

• Like 1