Well Giltbrookpie didn't return for an answer to his question. 

Another bleddy one post merchant. (A good topic though).

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pear Tree is on Bulwell Lane. Home Ales. Here is my Great Uncle Jack Cropley enjoying a pint in there:

amended map with the added pubs now makes it 12

If you haven't already found it, there's a large selection of photos of pubs in Old Basford on this Facebook page. You could cross-check with your list.   https://www.facebook.com/pg/Basford

On 18/10/2016 at 1:49 PM, mary1947 said:

Not sure if this pub is classed as being in Basford, On the bus the other day going to Notts and stopping near Bobber's Mill (I think this is what its called) The Wheatsheaf  pub was being cleaned up  boy doe's the front of it look good but I was soon disappointed when I found out it was going to be a Mc' Donalds drive through.

We are being taken over by Mc Donalds  when will it end.

I noticed that the other day too! Shocking - that was the furthest my Dad used to venture back when I was a little 'un in the 60s. - Bag of crisps and a bottle of pop with a straw whilst standing in the entrance! Waiting on  old Arthur whilst he regaled the poor unsuspecting folk inside with his takes of the war: fleet air arm, Royal Navy days and years at Babbington pit! He was a character :)

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
On 25/06/2016 at 5:24 PM, The Pianoman said:

Pear Tree is on Bulwell Lane. Home Ales. Here is my Great Uncle Jack Cropley enjoying a pint in there:

Just seen this thread.........and reckon i remember your uncle Malc,...........a lot of Cropleys about in Basford and Bestwood estate.......are you related to Fred who lived on Andover road or his brother who lives in Belper Harry ?

On 25/06/2016 at 5:24 PM, The Pianoman said:

ofvdif.jpg

• Like 1

If their names were Cropley and they originated from Basford then they are related to me somewhere along the line. Jack, in the photo above was my great Uncle. He was a year younger than my grandfather George. My Great Grandfather was William Cropley who was born at Waterbeach in Cambs. He came to Nottingham in the early 1880's with an unknown number of his siblings. The earliest address I have for them is 8 Whitemoor Road, Basford. By the 1911 census they had moved to 129 Bulwell Lane. I have been in that house in the early 60's. The only G. Uncles I have met were Walter and Alf. Either one or both lived at that house on Bulwell Lane. I have a vague recollection of a Cropley living at Belper but I have no idea who that might be. The names on the 1911 census at Bulwell Lane are my G Grandparents, William and Annice, Great uncles/aunts, Charles, Elizabeth, George, John (Jack) pictured, Fred, Nellie, Herbert, Alf and Walter. (George was actually my Grandfather). I understand that G Uncle Jack's youngest son(Harry Cropley) is alive in his 80's and still living on Vernon Road. 

Here is a picture of the Jewson lot: My Grandfather, George is is 3rd. from the right with the hat, skulking at the back waiting for the Old Pear Tree to open no doubt!

21wjut.jpg

• Like 1

Brilliant Malc,......reckon its same family,,,i had a few relatives on Bulwell lane in the 60s,..used to have a drink with em in the Pear Tree and Catchems,..and Harry i got to know in Belper thru in-laws,..he was originally from Basford,...........not seen Harry or Fred for years now,.both were lovely chaps............

The Cropleys were famous in Catchems. I believe Cropley is a one family surname. My grandfather George wasn't a good man, at least as far as his family was concerned. He was alright with other people tho'.

I've been tracking the pubs in Old Basford from 1900 till they closed, but I can't seen to find some of the close dates. Is there any that I'm missing? 

The pubs I found in 1900 were

Barley Mow, high street - Closed 2004

Butcher's arms, Lincoln Street - Can't find close date

Fox and Crown, Church Street - Still Open

Horse and Jockey, Mill Street - Closed 2012

Lord Nelson, Percy street - Closed 2016

Mason's Arms, Church Street - Can't find close date 

Park Inn (later known as Park Tavern), Arnold Road - Still Open

Pear Tree, Bulwell Lane - Still Open

Rose, Mill Street - Can't find close date

Standard of England, Park Lane - Can't find close date

Station Hotel (later known as Catchems Corner), Vernon Road - Still Open

Swan (later known as the White Swan), Church Street - 2017

Vernon Hotel, Vernon Road - 2012

In 1905:

the Bleacher's Arms, Lincoln Street - Can't find close date

In 1910:

the Cricketers Arm's, Brown Croft - Can't find close date

The Fox and Hounds, Alpine Street - Can't find close date or anything about it really 

In 1915:

The Newcastle Arms, Nuthall Road - Still going 

Pretty sure there as only been one 'Pear Tree ' Malc........i would have heard mention of another as many of my old relatives lived in the area from at least the 1890s.

Regarding Pubs you may have missed Liam.........how about the 'Heathfield' Hotel Arnold road Basford.......and the 'Fox' on Valley road and the 'Shoulder of Mutton''

edit.........Old English Gentlemen.......commonly known as 'Thode English''

1 hour ago, Cliff Ton said:

If you haven't already found it, there's a large selection of photos of pubs in Old Basford on this Facebook page. You could cross-check with your list.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/BasfordBygones/photos/?tab=album&album_id=325323544344846

I will do that, cheers for the link. 

4 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Was The Pear Tree on Bulwell Lane actually The Old Pear Tree or were there two Pear Tree Pubs?

When I looked through a directory from 1904 it was listed down as Bulwell lane, so I think it's the same one. 

3 hours ago, denshaw said:

One at the top of Bailey st the Newcastle.

I forgot that one, thank you. 

4 hours ago, benjamin1945 said:

Pretty sure there as only been one 'Pear Tree ' Malc........i would have heard mention of another as many of my old relatives lived in the area from at least the 1890s.

Regarding Pubs you may have missed Liam.........how about the 'Heathfield' Hotel Arnold road Basford.......and the 'Fox' on Valley road and the 'Shoulder of Mutton''

edit.........Old English Gentlemen.......commonly known as 'Thode English''

Cheers for the help, I can't believe I forgot the Heathfield, was my Grandad's local for a while aha

9 hours ago, Liam-Giraffe said:

I've been tracking the pubs in Old Basford from 1900 till they closed, but I can't seen to find some of the close dates. Is there any that I'm missing? 

The pubs I found in 1900 were

Barley Mow, high street - Closed 2004

Butcher's arms, Lincoln Street - Can't find close date

Fox and Crown, Church Street - Still Open

Horse and Jockey, Mill Street - Closed 2012

Lord Nelson, Percy street - Closed 2016

Mason's Arms, Church Street - Can't find close date 

Park Inn (later known as Park Tavern), Arnold Road - Still Open

Pear Tree, Bulwell Lane - Still Open

Rose, Mill Street - Can't find close date

Standard of England, Park Lane - Can't find close date

Station Hotel (later known as Catchems Corner), Vernon Road - Still Open

Swan (later known as the White Swan), Church Street - 2017

Vernon Hotel, Vernon Road - 2012

In 1905: the Bleacher's Arms, Lincoln Street - Can't find close date

In 1910: the Cricketers Arm's, Brown Croft - Can't find close date

The Fox and Hounds, Alpine Street - Can't find close date or anything about it really 

In 1915: The Newcastle Arms, Nuthall Road - Still going 

The Barley Mow, Horse and Jockey and the Lord Nelson were all rebuilds, not there in 1900. Am sure that the Barley Mow closed before 2004.

Liam-Giraffe. If you look at Cliff Ton's 19 November post on the Basford Wakes thread, in the bottom left corner (slightly higher) you will see the top of Mill Street and The Rose Pub . When they pulled it down the licence went to the new Rose at Strelley.

22 hours ago, Liam-Giraffe said:

I will do that, cheers for the link. 

When I looked through a directory from 1904 it was listed down as Bulwell lane, so I think it's the same one. 

I forgot that one, thank you. 

Cheers for the help, I can't believe I forgot the Heathfield, was my Grandad's local for a while aha

liam........might have known your Grandad if he used the Heathfield in the 60s............it was always a Pub full of characters.......and many not to be messed with,.people talk about hard nuts now but there were some real ones that used this place........mainly ex local Teddy boys,.i was always ok because i played football with many of them and was local.............remember two of them having a fight at the back of the Pub over a girl,it was a messy affair ,but after they knocked bells out of each other..........they went back in the Pub shook hands and cleaned each other up,then had a Pint together..........went to both their Funerals in the last 3 years........and much rememising  was done ( ok remembering).........happy days............lol

Malcolm, you and my husband are related through his grandfather  Fred Cropley born 1901.  The picture of your uncle Jack he is double of Fred so much so he thought it was his grandfather.   His mother was adopted by Fred when he married her mum, I had researched the Cropleys and  I  recognised the names.  

• 4 months later...
On 01/12/2017 at 2:18 PM, Gem said:

Malcolm, you and my husband are related through his grandfather  Fred Cropley born 1901.  The picture of your uncle Jack he is double of Fred so much so he thought it was his grandfather.   His mother was adopted by Fred when he married her mum, I had researched the Cropleys and  I  recognised the names.  

Only just spotted this post. You are correct. Fred Cropley born 1901 is my great uncle Fred. Fifth offspring of William and Annice. My grandfather George Cropley was the third offspring born 1896 (so the 1911 census says but I believe 1897). Small world. There must be more people around here related to Cropleys as there was so many of them.

New a Fred Cropley on  Andover road..........and his brother in Belper.....harry.........yes there are lots of em....................

That I think is the Fred Cropley we are referring to. Would he be 117 now? I have a vague recollection of a Cropley in Belper but I have no idea which one.

That would be fred, NBL, i drank in the heathfield in the 60s, you must have known lots of the same people as me, fishers,wakefields,thackereys,fewkes, and many more,