Since losing my husband, I have been so unable to see a light at the end of the tunnel, but guess what! My son & family booked a holiday cottage in Whitby for last week & I went with them. it was a massive step for me as it was the first holiday without him. How lovely the cottage was & the weather was kind to us too. So although sad at times I have made what seems a small step to some it was a massive step for me & I am sure my husband was with us (little signs)

• Upvote 9

Glad you enjoyed it dat47.

dat47, well done, really happy you found some measure of comfort, lost my wife few weeks ago, not really ready for holidays or such at the moment though i think that will come, little signs, i have had those, well done hope it gets a lot better for you, family makes a lot of difference my sister has me going to dance lessons once a week and a pensioners club on fridays for a couple of hours, its a start. again well done hope happier days are before us again

• Upvote 6

dat47

I am glad that you have found some peace in that most beautiful of towns. On a summer's day it can be hectic busy but that may be what you want, as the sun has shone beautifully over the last few days and Whitby does shine in the sun.

I actually prefer Whitby in winter. It develops a character of its own.

Also, there are some big steps, 199 of them up to the Abbey!

• Upvote 5

Lovely positive post dat47. In time things will get better. I am very pleased you had a lovely time in Whitby.

Strangely enough Whitby is one of a very few towns that I have not visited. I do intend to visit there one day in the future, i have heard about those steps & also I have heard about WHITBY FISH & CHIPS TOO !

But please don't tell carni.

• Upvote 1

I first went to Whitby in 1976. It was the autumn equinox and the gale that raged all night was scary in the extreme. Next day, the sea was as calm as a mill pond and brilliant sunshine. My family had friends there and it became my second home. I spent my post graduate year at North Riding College, as it then was, in Scarborough and did most of my teaching practice around Whitby before qualifying as a teacher.

I haven't been there since 2003 but have many, many happy memories of that wonderful place.

• Upvote 1

I love Whitby and surrounding areas, spent some of the happiest time of my life there...........

Try the Angel hotel, it's a Weatherspoons hotel and I can thoroughly recommend it.

Well done Dat47........

catfan

Whitby is about 45 mins drive from my home and I used to have some duties in the hospital there. I know it extremely well.

The fish and chips are legendary, but the best is not from the Magpie but from over the bridge, where there are two chippies, equally good, but my preference is for the one across the road on the Abbey side. Best pub? Black Horse but there are others which are pretty darn good.

It amuses me when at the beach, you see numpties in shorts, long socks a heavens above, black shoes they use for work.

• Upvote 1

Dear Terrence 12. My heart goes out to you, & I send you all my love. It is 9 months since my husband died & this is the biggest step ihave made.My cousin took me to Highfields a few weeks back & that was nice.but being away from home for a week was very daunting. "did I look the door" "did I switch everything off" these are the things I took for granted knowing he would have done them. But hey ho life goes on (very differently) & we show bravery when with company & cry when alone. Keep your chin up Kind regards.

• Upvote 9

Try Goth weekend., we booked a few days at Whitby 4 years ago had not realised the event was on, had a great time. Other half said I blended in well with the witches, just biding my time he may look good as a toad.

• Upvote 1

dat47

Yes we do show bravery when in company, and cry alone. But this is a place where you are not alone. Its good that you can find the strength to speak to us strangers on Nottstalgia. Possibly one time you may begin to trust in the generosity of a grouping of such people as this is. I have. Its great that you can go out now. A big step as you say, but important.

God love you dat47.

• Upvote 3

Hello, dat47. I found your two posts so heart-warming. I'm really pleased that you enjoyed your holiday in the holiday cottage at Whitby with your son and his family.

It was a great idea and just what you needed. I also thought how nice it was for Terence to offer his support, especially as he's only recently lost his wife.

You seemed so positive in your posts and I wish you well. :)

We have only visited Whitby on one occasion and I thought it was lovely. It reminded me very much of Cornwall, the hills sorted me out a bit though. The only place we could find to stay at short notice was up a steep hill, not being in the best of health at the time, made climbing the hill difficult., and we ended up staying in at night, which didn't really bother us.

We went on the spur of the moment and unknown to us it must have been "Goth Weekend", which was quite fascinating, we have never seen so many Goths, Witches and Dracula's in one place.

To all of you who have lost loved ones recently I send you my hopes that you find happiness again in the coming months and years.

NewBasfordlad. My feelings too.

• Upvote 2

Carni

Whitby is an entertaining town when it is the goths and the vampires. When I had my dog, a weimaraner (ghost dog) I would dress up like one of the victims of the Werewolves of London and walk around the town growling* Bloody vampires. My dog didnt know what to make of it, but he sure enjoyed the pork scratchings, guaranteed werewolf deterrent....

*with all the wolf teeth and (fake) blood dripping down my coat.

Its amazing how they get behind the spirit of it all. I got booed out of a pub for being a werewolf (it was a vampire pub) but I just said to them "Keep to the paths"

A special place

• Upvote 1

To be honest I quite like the Goths dress. If it is all taken light heartedly, i'm all for people doing their own thing. It really is interesting to see the people all done up, it must take ages for some to them to put their makeup on and I hope to go for the experience again one day.

"Don't go on the Moors" vampire2

• Upvote 1

Carni

It is all done in the most entertaining and spirited way, without any animosity at all. * Its a lovely atmosphere and one I adore. In many ways it is an underrated English event.

*I have known no trouble at all on the Goth weekends, in fact its the opposite, it tends to be the busiest, but amicable times of the year. Getting a pint may take you 20 minutes, so plan early.

• Upvote 1

Great Stuff. Can't wait to go again, we have promised to take our son and his partner, it is just the kind of thing he would enjoy. He takes after his mum, for make believe. :biggrin: