NEP, Good Old Photos.

How many different shops has the old Boots shop on Pelham street been since it was Boots? On here there's a photo of it as Boots, then Maples. I remember it being a cookware shop and now it's Zara. Any more?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good link Catfan I had missed that one.

The picture of Crocus Street in the Meadows reminds me of the announcer on "Housewives' Choice", some time in the 1960's : "Now we have a request from a lady in Nottingham. Her address conjures up an idyllic picture. She writes from Crocus Street, The Meadows ........"

​Strange how the picture from the words and reality are a long way apart. I suppose at sometime in the past before the houses were built there were meadows and wild flowers in the area.

That comment was allegedly made by Pete Murray...

Before the Meadows were built on, the Southern approach to the town was considered one of the most attractive in the country...

zxth89.jpg

• Upvote 2

Those photos in post 1 and many others posted on this site brought to mind some words from Emrys Bryson circa mid 60's about what Nottingham is

"This city is so many things to so many people. For a tourist, it's the Castle and Robin Hood. A toilet roll holder with the city's coat of arms on it. For the motorist, its a lot of big roundabouts (with flowers on them) and dead keen traffic wardens (with no flies on them)

It's where you can see a Test Match. It's where - if you happen to be a brass-bandsman - you come to play "Poet and Peasant" on your cornet or trombone in the Albert Hall.

If you make bicycle wheels better than anybody else, you'll get a job easily.

If you happen to be an Indian or West Indian, it might be a bit more difficult

Nottingham is the Byron country, the Lawrence country, the "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" country

It's sometimes the end of a pilgrimage, sometimes the start.

It's the end of a long trip from Jamaica or the beginning of a long one to Australia.

It's the greasy fish-and-chip papers blowing in the gutter down Ilkeston Road.

It's an elegant house in the Park.

It's a bus to a bedsitter in Carlton Road.

It's the lights of the Goose Fair.

It's the mist along the river.

It's good; bad; indifferent; exciting; filthy; Queen of the Midlands.

It's dead, lively, dreary, muddled, enlightened, moral, puritan.

A rat-race. A home.

It's ........

Well, it's Nottingham

• Upvote 6
  • 3 weeks later...

The photo of Marks and Sparks on Albeet Street reminded me that at some stage in the1960s M&S got permission to extend their store northwards right over the bottom end of Pepper Street - so that the store went right up to St Peter's churchyard.

Does anyone remember when that was - and how they managed to get permission?

How many different shops has the old Boots shop on Pelham street been since it was Boots? On here there's a photo of it as Boots, then Maples. I remember it being a cookware shop and now it's Zara. Any more? Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ALEXON 1983......1986......the interior was done by Nina Campbell ......fantastic colours and decor

JIGSAW , then Zara 2002

The photo of Marks and Sparks on Albeet Street reminded me that at some stage in the1960s M&S got permission to extend their store northwards right over the bottom end of Pepper Street - so that the store went right up to St Peter's churchyard.

Does anyone remember when that was - and how they managed to get permission?

Marks & Spencer extended their store in the mid-sixties, part of lower Pepper St had already been demolished. Also, it shouldn't have been difficult for Marks to get planning permission, they had plenty of clout as premier retailers at that time.

• Upvote 1

Good link Catfan I had missed that one.

The picture of Crocus Street in the Meadows reminds me of the announcer on "Housewives' Choice", some time in the 1960's : "Now we have a request from a lady in Nottingham. Her address conjures up an idyllic picture. She writes from Crocus Street, The Meadows ........"

​Strange how the picture from the words and reality are a long way apart. I suppose at sometime in the past before the houses were built there were meadows and wild flowers in the area.

I remember this as being Godfrey Wynn and the address being, Lilac Grove ,The Meadows which conjured up the idyllic picture in his mind...

Marks & Spencer extended their store in the mid-sixties, part of lower Pepper St had already been demolished. Also, it shouldn't have been difficult for Marks to get planning permission, they had plenty of clout as premier retailers at that time.

And a few greased palms no doubt !

• Upvote 1

It looks about that to me too. I see on the corner of Atlas St, the upstairs window of Peter Anson doesn't display the vertical HI FI sign which appeared I think, about 1970.