My local has gone bust!

I spotted this today at Nottingham station, the shop on the concourse had an administration notice on the door.

To be honest though, since they bought the local shops from Morrisons, they've been stocked with very poor quality stuff at very expensive prices. The station shop is still trading but many of the shelves are empty.

On another note, work on the old Gresham Hotel is nearing completion, two shop units have been created at ground level, one is already occupied and guess what: it's another 'up market' coffee shop!

Is Britain overdosing on caffene? I think we must be if we're prepared to pay those sort of prices for a cup of coffee.

Let me put the kettle on, I'll make me own!

• Upvote 3

""On another note, work on the old Gresham Hotel is nearing completion, two shop units have been created at ground level, one is already occupied and guess what: it's another 'up market' coffee shop!

Is Britain overdosing on caffene? I think we must be if we're prepared to pay those sort of prices for a cup of coffee.""

Here in oz too, coffee shops are a booming and very profitable business. A cup here averages around $4 (2 quid approx) actual costs per cup average around 30-40c here, then, plus all the little extras like cakes and quick turnaround food, and you have a nice little earner with minimal staff and overheads.

When I visit the uk, I probably spend an hour or so daily in Costa's ! I use the free wifi to report home, and I do enjoy their coffee too.

My usual is the one in Tesco home, in Netherfield, you sit up high on the first floor and can watch the world pass by around you.

• Upvote 3

Tesco in bulwell have taken out some of their aisles and shelving ,don't think it will be long before it will be half /halve the shop it was.

When travelling I love to have a cup of " real" coffee but afraid that Costa coffee doesnt come up to my expectations. Last time I travelled I wanted a cappuccino so called in to Costa. The " cappuccino". was just water. When I told the assistant he said that s how they did it. I am used to drinking cappuccino so I know what to expect. After the discussion ( calm) after explaining exactly what a cappuccino was he told me I needed a "flat white" !!!!! Meaning to me just a boiled milk. So now I wont go into any so called coffee shop one because they don't present and two they are so expensive. Here in Italy I can have a croissant and cappuccino for €2.30. A cup of italian coffee ristretto costs €1 and its real coffee, not diluted coffee. So if you all want to have a cup of real coffee and spend little come to sunny Italy.

• Upvote 2

My local has gone bust! I spotted this today at Nottingham station, the shop on the concourse had an administration notice on the door.

To be honest though, since they bought the local shops from Morrisons, they've been stocked with very poor quality stuff at very expensive prices. The station shop is still trading but many of the shelves are empty.

I hadn't seen it on any news anywhere, but it seems to have happened on Wednesday. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-36667836

As a matter of principle I wlill not buy a cup of coffer from those city center high priced so called coffee shops.

Over the top prices only poular because of the younger "trendy" lot.

Wetherspoon's do a half decent hot drink much cheaper too.

• Upvote 1

"warrappened" to a cup of "char" I hardly drink coffee and I live in the land of apple pie.

• Upvote 1

I can honestly say (No joke) I have never had a drink of coffee in any establishment and enjoyed it! I do try one every now and then but no luck. Unlike a lot of peoples taste, I can't stand strong coffee or made with all milk. We both have health issues, so at home we only drink Decaff coffee, made medium strength and the same amount of milk taken in tea. Mardy arn't wi. I wunt pay two quid for a coffee anyway. :unsure: I could have two chocolate eclairs for that much. :biggrin:

• Upvote 7

"warrappened" to a cup of "char" I hardly drink coffee and I live in the land of apple pie.

I love my cuppa tea, but don't normally buy when out, as I can make just as good or better at home !

Wife and I enjoy a daily coffee, but we make it last up to an hour or so and just love to "people watch" as the world goes by.

Currently in a lovely little coastal town on the West coast of WA, called Kalbarri and have a favorite coffee place overlooking the Indian Ocean, paradise indeed.

And Carni just saw your reply, we sometimes sneak a chocolate eclair too :-))

• Upvote 2

I love me coffee,not really drunk Tea since leaving school,just the smell of it makes me urge,and over the years my taste for strong coffee as got more,so that today it has to be esspreso expresso ?...........did away with milk and sugar years ago,i am addicted,but never drink it after lunch time.

Wetherspoons do a great double at 1.25,have two most mornings,whilst other regulars have 3 or 4 pints of Beer/lager,yes even at 9 in the morning !............i'd be comatose for the day.........lol.

Strongest coffee I ever had was made for me by a G/F of the time, a lady who was nine years my senior, she was a Cornish gal, who had lived in France, Switzerland and French Africa. It was "Turkish coffee" No milk, but more like coffee syrup, you could stand a spoon up in it and it was delicious, way too much sugar for my taste normally though.

I loved the eclairs with whipped real cream in them, still do!!

• Upvote 1

Nice one Ayup'............assuming youre about my age? the Lady would be about 80 now,but if she makes Coffee like that i'd give her a go,where's she live now ?........lol.

• Upvote 2

Yep, she'd be 80 this year.

I can honestly state I've only ever been in a Starbucks twice, both times 'cause we were with the mother in law and she insisted on paying. I've never been in any of the other chains, and if I'm honest I used to enjoy the 4p a cup vending machine stuff we got at Raleigh in the 70s!.
My favourite is by far the Kenco instant my lad makes me when he comes in from school!

I think that what got me into Coffee was working at Farrands,Mansfield rd,Carrington about 1961,they had a coffee grinding machine in the shop,and we used to grind the Beans to order,and the Aroma was just wonderful,.........we even sprinkled it on the shop floor every morning,.....imagine doing that now at the price it is.

My early morning math is a mess, the G/F would be 78 this year....

Best coffee is fresh ground coffee beans and perked in a coffee percolator, you can make it as strong or weak as you like it. Electric coffee makers are for the birds.

~19 ayup.............................just a slip of a girl then............

Where do you get 19 from Ben??

Sorry ayup,its the post number..................me oojar thingy dont work,it went with all me smiley faces and stuff...............

• Upvote 1

My wife insists on going somewhere for a coffee everyday . Could be Costa , Wetherspoons, M&S or even one of the supermarket caffs . Drives me potty !

I usually have tea !

I enjoy my instant coffee in a morning after having a shower and thats enough for me .

One thing we have just started doing is making tea with Rosemary ( the herb , not the next door neighbour !).

Its the one plant that does well in our garden . Unfortunately ours is covered with cuckoo spit but find about 4 sprigs rinse and put in the teapot , leave for about 5 mins and its quite tasty and refreshing . Strange to see a colourless liquid come out the teapot but supposed to be quite medicinal (unless your pregnant !) .

• Upvote 2

My son uses rosemary in his cocktails as well as mint, basil and melissa

• Upvote 1