Nottingham And The Battle Of The Somme.

The Battle of the Somme, fought in northern France, was one of the bloodiest of World War One. For five months the British and French armies fought the
Germans in a brutal battle of attrition on a 15-mile front.
The aims of the battle were to relieve the French Army fighting at Verdun and to weaken the German Army. However, the Allies were unable to break through
German lines. In total, there were over one million dead and wounded on all sides.
Below is a report honouring fallen soldiers from Nottingham High School.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-36645500
After reading the above, isn't it a shame to see the image below.
Fighting%20For%20Country%20Being%20A%20D

The forces in WW1 were made up of roughshods, toughs, thieves, ne'er do wells, ruffians, burglars, back street brawlers, and every bad apple imaginable as well as decent law abiding folk. Without their efforts though, we'd probably have lost.

I appreciate that the second picture does us no favours across the world, but I'd rather have them on my side in any conflict than toffee nosed chinless wonders !

• Upvote 3

My maternal grandfather was killed at the Somme on this day.

Sorry I never got the chance to meet up with you gramps.

• Upvote 2

I put this on Facebook earlier today but as it is of Nottingham interest I will put it here too. Also I had help from members of this forum to get the info on him. The man was John Henry Lakin. He was no relation to me whatsoever but he was my grandmothers first husband. Probably quite unlikely that he has any relatives still surviving today, certainly no descendants. I doubt that there is anyone else now who would show an interest in him. He took part in the first day of the Somme on 1st July 1916 and was injured the same day. The rest of the info. I have on him is in the photos. This had been kept secret from me by my father for some reason strange reason, as there is nothing that needs to be hidden. I found out about it only last year, by accident while doing family history research.

2lclk47.jpg

11qj0ya.jpg

r0ayc5.jpg

• Upvote 5
  • 3 years later...

Bet he knew my grandmothers first husband John Henry Lakin. Notts & Derby Regiment Sherwood Foresters.  Injured 1.7.1916, first day of the Somme and died in hospital in Manchester about 2 weeks later.

Quite likely, Malcolm.  Captain Lewes isn't related to me. Photos and papers relating to him form part of the family archive of a friend of mine. I look after the archive. A photo of Captain Lewes hangs on my wall. He looks years older than his chronological age. I always think of him on this day and on 11 November.

http://www.the-sherwood-foresters.co.uk/l_names/lewes_frederick_henry_meredith.html

https://astreetnearyou.org/person/800361/Captain-Frederick-Henry-Meredith-Lewes

13 hours ago, The Pianoman said:

Bet he knew my grandmothers first husband John Henry Lakin. Notts & Derby Regiment Sherwood Foresters.  Injured 1.7.1916, first day of the Somme and died in hospital in Manchester about 2 weeks later.

You probably have this info but there's an extensive obituary on the Notts CC Roll of Honour  saying that he was the first of the Nott'm Bantams to be buried in his home city .

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/People/Details/24785

David, your ability to 'Come Up With The Goods'.. is always impressive and much welcomed.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, DAVIDW said:

You probably have this info but there's an extensive obituary on the Notts CC Roll of Honour  saying that he was the first of the Nott'm Bantams to be buried in his home city .

https://secure.nottinghamshire.gov.uk/RollOfHonour/People/Details/24785

Thanks. I knew he was the first bantam to be killed but I hadn't seen that article before. Tried to find his grave more than once buty no success yet. I had assumed it is one of the military gravestones as they are easily spotted.

It's a bit grainy but here's a pic of Pte J .Lakin .

50067823321_57d7908729_o.jpg

Should mention the other names in case anyone is searching in the future ,

Pte. H.Dale

Pte U.Goldman

Pte E. Hawley

Thanks DavidW, I would have just about dismissed the name Dale as a major long shot, but with Liverpool St, there's a good chance my GGM could have been his Aunty!  

Not sure what relation that possibly makes him to me.... irrelevant..I will look into his story.

• Like 1