When standing on market street about 3/4s of the way up (face the theatre) on your right is a sandstone coloured building with balconys on a upper floor and at the bottom are some railings painted white now over the years its been pubs of some sort or other but what was it originally ?

I may be wrong but I seem to recall that, for a while, this was known as The Black Boy, after the original Black Boy Hotel (which site was later occupied by the Littlewoods store) was demolished. It has been a lot of other things too.

• Upvote 1

I can only just remember the original Black Boy Hotel. Guy Gibson and his cronies often spent their evenings there on trips to Nottingham from RAF Scampton and other Lincolnshire bases in the 1940s.

It was said to be rat infested but, come on, what self-respecting rat would be seen dead in the concrete box that replaced it?

• Upvote 2

The Black Boy Inn was a gentlemans club during the first world war. Shall be doing some more googling.

1898...The Nottingham And County Constitutional Club...built 1897

http://www.nottingham21.co.uk/build_constitutional_club_1.htm

1902. Nottinghamshire. Nottingham. Clubs, "Nottingham & County Constitutional Club, 26 Market street.—About 1,100 members. Subscription, £2 2s. per annum. [Committee] ... Secretary, E. Gordon Sackett, Low pavement;..."

The first part of an extensive article on the completion of the Constitutional Club , Market Street 10th Dec 1898 in the E.P.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7525/28044011565_f19415f0d3_b.jpg