My 8 year life in Nottingham

Yorkshire born (1947), moved to Nottingham when I got a job with the Land Registry on Chalfont drive, plans branch, in early 67 I think. Totally totally boring !.I left and got a job in the loading department of Jardine Dobsons at Colwick. Too easy, bored again,, my boss, Ted Randall ,(lived on Raleigh St) said why not join the fire brigade? I did. Brilliant move. April 1968, 3 months training in Birmingham and rode the Dennis pump escape first time early July. Proper fire engines then . Good days. Still have good memories of Nottingham, Yorkshire won though, sorry Nott'm !

• Upvote 4

I love Hull,best times ever...those great white phone boxes they had....great architect houses on Coltman street and Annlaby rd record stall provided me with an entire Alan Bown collection... lived on Leeds Rd and Sutton.

Hull and back...............fools and horses,.............man on toll bridge to Rodney......careful where you dump that thing............lol.

From Nottingham to Hull

I bet you had "keep on going round by Goole". Words from the Humber Bridge song.

Generally regarded as the only song with Goole in the words.

A great version by the Ripley Wayfarers is available here

youtube.com/watch?v=zvuQJNVDJYk

My late father in law used to say, " There's three places you don't want to go, Hull, Hell, and Halifax." :-). No offense to those who may like Hull or Halifax. It was his sense of humor.

I have to say, Nottingham has vastly more interesting Architecture (Adolf saw most of Hulls' off) and the railways, tunnels and viaducts!, Victoria Station was fantastic though I only just remember it. The Trip to Jerusalem , Nottingham Castle and of course, Central Fire Station. The Lace market was an H risk, the highest level in the UK. Went to two good fires in there, one on Broadway, one close to short stairs. The sixties were the best days for fire fighting, no safety rules ! We were very badly paid in those days (pre 1977 strike) and a move back to the home City of Hull with a promotion and more pay did it, young married couple and all that. Still miss the City and the lads, but thats' life.

Due to visit in September when the new station opens on London road. Taking an ex Nottingham City fogrider bike, there's a couple of old Central fire engines going too I believe. Will make a day of it.

Regards all, Terry.

• Upvote 5