Hi everyone just joined the forum.I lived in Nottingham untill 1966, I was born in the Meadows and moved with mum,dad and my sister to Broxtowe in the late 50s.My dad Fred used to fre q uent the Cocked Hat.I went to London Rd infants and Primary school and then Players secondary modern. I worked as a sewing machinest at various places one was Drury and Edwards can anyone recall this place.

Welcome Summer .

Drewry and Edwards has a thread of it's own , if there is anything you want to add .

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=10751&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Hello again just to reply to someone's questions, I lived on Lindfield Rd

The better part as my mam used to say Lol

.I saw the article on Drewry and Edwards and it brought back memories I was an overlocker there and I remember the supervisor cant recall her name We used to call her Dobbin she used to terrify us and we had a young handsome mechanic who all the girls fancied.Some lunchtimes a group of us would go down the Locarno fabulous.In the early sixties you could walk out of one job and straight into another ah happy days.

• Upvote 4

Welcome to Nottstalgia Summer. So much of your post #7 reminds me of my life in Nottingham in the 60s. At Raywarp lots of the Machinists also fancied the Mechanic, I think being the only male among a female workforce might have had something to do with it? Marvelous how many times the Mechanic was called out of his little room, especially by the same girls. Must have had faulty machines slywink

I moved jobs quite a few times between leaving School in 63 to leaving Nottm at the end of 66, as you say in those days we could leave one job and start another same day.

I worked at City Uniform when I left Nottm, on "Special Machines" one being an Overlocker. One quick slip and the garment was ruined. I wish I owned an overlocker now, very useful for alterations. I am just off in half an hour up the motorway to Telford (Not far from us) to a lady who does alterations, to have a dress tapered, which I could have done myself if I possessed an O/L. Oh well it keeps her in work.

I never worked close enough to the Locarno to visit in the day time, but you will find that many Nottstalgians did. Enjoy your reminisces Summer, I hope you will share them with us and enjoy catching up on ours.

• Upvote 1

Welcome Summer............Locarno hey early 60s.........lunch time 6d...........tuesday night Teenbeat 1/6........happy days...........

Ah Locarno dancing round your handbags good times eh.I met my husband there he and his mate heard there were lots of girls in Nottingham and pretty of course he was right !!.They came from Coventry so one dance led to another....I moved to Coventry when we married and the rest is history we now live in beautiful Devon.We have been bac k to Nottingham once or twice but never the same.

• Upvote 3

The blokes came from all over to nick our pretty girls Summer.............do you talk funny yet?.............lol.

• Upvote 2

Only been in Devon a few months so no I dont say ooar I dont really have an accent.I lost my Nottingham accent years ago and never really picked up the Coventry one thank goodness.

• Upvote 1

In Devon; from Nottingham; you should be saying oo-arrr miduck!

My wifes a Devonian brought up in Cambridgshire and now 30 years in Nottingham,..and has no discernable accent and still never called me 'Duck'.........calls me a few other things but never 'Duck'..................where in Devon are you Summer if I may be so bold ?

I am in Brixham Benjamin 1945, we love it here friendly place,nice restaurants and just around tbe corner from a lovely sea view,we are so lucky.

• Upvote 5

Very nice Summer,the wife still has many relatives mostly in Exeter,and get down as often as possible.......love it down there the place and the people.........

Welcome to Nottstalgia Summer. Envy you moving down to Torbay! A good friend of mine is a councillor in Brixham, her name is Anna Tolchard.

Thanks Lizzie M.Yea it is lovely here we have gorgeous sunshine today only thing missing is a ice cold glass of wine...... I think that can be arranged.I know of the councillor Anna.

Where were you brought up in Nottingham?

Benjamin 1945 I have to ask is that you in the picture.... looks like George Clooney to me .Lol

• Upvote 3