• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a few pics in town today. Difficult to get pictures as there were too many people. I shall add a couple more when I have edited them

Here's a few more This guy didn't seem too happy!

The 39 Carlton Trolley bus was always a last resort but much needed many times when I missed my Gedling Bus. No 67/67A? if I remember rightly. The only problem with the 39 was the terminus was a long

If anyone is going to be there today, I shall be jumping on a bus in about half an hour. I am going to skive off today!

• Upvote 1

Here's a few pics in town today. Difficult to get pictures as there were too many people.

2qajtzc.jpg

rtpcsx.jpg

96yni9.jpg

2hxnfnq.jpg

34hzaj9.jpg

2dj6idy.jpg

jgs2nr.jpg

I shall add a couple more when I have edited them

• Upvote 10

Ah the good old 39, I lived about 200 yards from the terminus, caught that many a time as a nipper to go to town, to my Mamas in Lenton or all the way through to Wollaton Park for the Sunday constitutional!

Brings back memories but how did they get them into the square? ( without trolley lines)

Brings back memories but how did they get them into the square? ( without trolley lines)

Probably towed there, although they can move short distances at low speed on battery power.

By the way, only one of those is a trolleybus.

• Upvote 1

The photo towards Beastmarket Hill carries a hidden message. It shows the rear of the trolleybus and beyond it, a new tram.

The trolleybuses could have provided the same service as the trams, using similar power, but at a fraction of the cost of infrastructure and building.

I must say the modern Scania, 676, looks superb in the traditional livery. How about Nottstalgians campaigning NCT to adopt this as the standard livery, instead of the cheap looking route branding colour schemes used at present. Nottingham, would look a whole lot better with its fleet painted back into green and cream, not forgetting the red wheels.

• Upvote 1

By 2020 cars won't need drivers..............let alone trolley buses........the mind boggles.......well mine does anyway

• Upvote 1

The difference nowadays is that if the "Slug" breaks down large sections will be in a state of chaos.

So much for the modern tram system.

#13.

I'd have em sliding off their seats Ian ! hellothere

Brings back memories of my childhood, including a trip to Highfields with my sister when I was around 4 or 5 years old. Sis would have been 12 or 13 and decided that she and I would have a day out. We caught the bus and she insisted on sitting on what was known as the anniversary seat. Of course, my little legs didn't touch the step below the seat and the surface of the green leather was slippery.

Going round a corner, I slid off, fell onto the floor and whacked my head on the step below the anniversary seat opposite ours.

We had quite a lot of disastrous outings when I was small because my sister regarded herself as something of an adventurer. One day we caught the blue bus at the bottom of Bobbers Mill Road. My sister, her friend Jill Amos and me were setting off into the wide blue Yonder for an adventure.

We seemed to have travelled for ages when we got off the bus and then we walked for several miles before my dear sister announced that she was completely and totally lost. I was absolutely terrified and convinced that we would never get back home again.

It was a Sunday afternoon and eventually my sister's friend went into a telephone box and rang her father who was at home having his Sunday afternoon nap. He came out to find us in his yellow Ford Zephyr. We were actually in Selston but to me it seemed like the other side of the world. Mr Amos was furious but drove us all home again where my sister got into tremendous trouble with our parents who grounded her for some weeks after that.

She is 66 years old next week and still can't find her way to the end of the road without a map!

• Upvote 3

The photo towards Beastmarket Hill carries a hidden message. It shows the rear of the trolleybus and beyond it, a new tram.

The photo with both on was deliberate.

Apparently it got there behind a breakdown truck this morning. It was taken back to Sandtoft at the end of this afternoon

• Upvote 1

The 39 Carlton Trolley bus was always a last resort but much needed many times when I missed my Gedling Bus. No 67/67A? if I remember rightly. The only problem with the 39 was the terminus was a long walk from Phoenix Estate Gedling. Especially in Stilettos and Pencil Skirts. Tiny little wobbly steps and a few Park Drives helped me on the way. :unsure:

• Upvote 4

Surely it was Cavendish Drive, Redland Grove, Westdale Lane and Adboulton Avenue.......................... No Park Drives on that route!
slywink

• Upvote 1

39 was a special bus for me,.get off at Chesterfield arms walk up the twitchel to Southfield drive,where my lovely Trina lived,.........take her for a drink in the Elwes Arms or sometimes the Tally-ho..............then caught the 59 back into town........odd times missed the last bus and could'nt afford Taxi and walked home to Bestwood..............Carlton rd,Porchester rd,Woodthorpe drive,Mansfield rd,Valley rd,Hucknall rd..........and home Andover rd about 6 miles but she was worth it...................lol.

• Upvote 3

#20,Haha, the last time I did that walk was probably 1966ish. Seeing all those street names takes me back. I think the route I took was towards Parks Corner, along Main Road and Up Westdale, then Adbolton. I would have stuck to the main roads if it was dark. Cos my mam tode me to!

Benjamin, Was Trina the one that got away?

• Upvote 1

Surely it was Cavendish Drive, Redland Grove, Westdale Lane and Adboulton Avenue.......................... No Park Drives on that route!

slywink

I think carni meant the fags hellothere

• Upvote 1

# carnie,...............yes and Sandra,Christine,Margaret,Jean and Joyce.........all lovely girls and that's just the Nottingham ones............lol.

• Upvote 3