Ian,...........walked back from Melton once,.............after a good hiding from a jealous boyfriend,never forget Caol,and she was worth it..........lol.

just to keep it in thread,.........wish there had been trolley buses..............

• Upvote 4
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a few pics in town today. Difficult to get pictures as there were too many people. I shall add a couple more when I have edited them

Here's a few more This guy didn't seem too happy!

The 39 Carlton Trolley bus was always a last resort but much needed many times when I missed my Gedling Bus. No 67/67A? if I remember rightly. The only problem with the 39 was the terminus was a long

AWE good old Julio....................ive held the best...............lol.

• Upvote 1

#21. Benjamin, you obviously didn't know the short cut down Woodthorpe ROAD (nearly opposite the top of Porchester Road) if you walked down there, bearing right at the bottom, you reached a cinder track which joined Woodthorpe Drive halfway down - nearly opposite the house where I grew up! It was a very lonely way to walk as the brickyards were on both sides at that time and there were no lights on the cinder track but you wouldn't have been scared, would you?

Ian, my Paul cycled from Asfordby to Woodthorpe to propose to me one evening and when he got to our house I wasn't there - I'd gone to visit a boy down the road who was a friend I'd known since I was a toddler. My mum told him the address and he went to find me there... But he didn't propose till we got back to my house. Of course I said yes, but then he had to cycle back to Asfordby after midnight and he was working the next day.

• Upvote 2

No not if i'd known i ws in your vicinity Margie...................lol.

• Upvote 1

At least 507 retains its dent in the front of the roof!

I thought the three axles were to do with axle load (weight) rather than vehicle length.

I can't find much online but 3 axles allowed bodies up to 30’ long at one time, just pre-WW2 - shorter for 2-axle bodies. The regulations applied to single and double deckers. If it were due to weight then I would have thought single deckers could be much longer than double deckers before they required 3 axles. Regulations for PSVs were very restrictive until the 1950s, with strict limits on width as well as length.

Things are much different nowadays.

Where's Bilbraborn!!

As I've said on here before, we were both very much involved in the trolleybus preservation team and much so during those last rights, I can't believe it was 50 years ago that all that was happening.

Look up what we've both published on here before.

I think I mentioned it before as well, I do have the original starting handle from trolley 506, a great lump of rubberized brass that lived down near the driver's left foot.

• Upvote 1

Many years ago my girlfriend used to live on Charlbury Rd and when we had been out and I had taken her home i used to get the last trolleybus from Middleton blvd back into town. This went into town enroute to Parliament st depot. I got off at the news theatre (this stop was known as the turkish baths) I llived at the time off Woodborough rd.

On my other thread on stopping buses & running away, some of the buses were trolley buses, some were the brown Bridgford buses. The conductors & drivers looked so mad I think they'd have connected me across the wires if they'd caught me, well Catfan would. That would have come as a shock to me, lol.. :)

• Upvote 2

One thing I did notice while it was parked in Market Square, the poles were secured into their hook with a cable tie on each just in case they decided to flip up. It amused me a bit

Motor buses of that age didn't have air brakes, they had vacuum brakes. The handbrake would have been mechanical. Even the 1967 Leyland PD2 I did my PSV in still had vacuum brakes as late as that. Now I want to know what brakes trolleybuses had. Did they have an electric system to produce vacuum?

• Upvote 1