Just for info, building work has started:

Mapperley Top (formerly World of Mowers and Pidcocks before that) to be new KFC with drive through. Steel shell is up.

The Wells Road (formerly The Gardeners) to be five semi-detached houses. They've recently done the pile-driving (I read that someone thinks the original 'well' is down there, but it was built over for the suburban railway). Anyway, the surveyors decided that it needed pile-driving.

The Wells Road (formerly the primary school then a community type of use) plans for several houses, they've just started groundwork (site was razed last year IIRC).

Eng

Always remember The Wells road, as my great aunt and uncle lived down there, number 555, as a kid I used to catch a 31 bus from mapperley tops and get off outside the Metropole cinema, then walk down the hill to their house.

On my return my Uncle Harry would walk me back up to the bus stop on mapperley tops again, and see me safe on the bus, always had his pipe in his mouth as I think it was an excuse to smoke as his wife hated it in the house. A kind and gentle man, whenever I smell a pipe he comes to mind.

I hate smoking, but that pipe smell is different somehow.

Trying to place world of mowers, is that just before the petrol station near woodthorpe drive ?

I used to know that area so well I could find my way blindfolded, but so much change has taken place now.

Are they the buildings that are now opposite the new Aldi Cliff Ton. I did Know the area well but now I drive by at times

without really noticing what is around me.

#3 Is that the primary school at the very top of Wells Road.

Are they the buildings that are now opposite the new Aldi Cliff Ton. I did Know the area well but now I drive by at times without really noticing what is around me.

Yes they are almost opposite the new-ish Aldi.

#8 Yes Walter Halls lovely little school my oldest Daughter went there 75 to 77.

You say was HP has that one gone too.

#9 Thought so I walked past those buildings pushing a pram many times on my way to Mapperley Top,

Sometimes I would walk all the way to Gedling to my Parents, no strapping them in a car seat and zooming off then.

We were tough weren't we. lol

• Upvote 3
  • 1 month later...

Just to clarify, Walter Halls Primary School (top of The Wells Road) is still there and thriving.  Last year they had a new 'new block' to replace the previous 'new block'.  The main school building dates back to 1939.

The razed school was right down The Wells Road and was closed quite a few years ago.

• 1 month later...

The old cinema has been derelict for years. Its last use was as a golf store. Its boarded up now and getting worse and worse in appearance by the month. Its one of those buildings no one ever seems happy in. Even since I've been in the area (70s onwards) its been so many things I can no longer remember. For those with long enough memories (i.e. not me!) the whole of the other side of Woodborough Road used to be the Nottingham Brickworks. Now its a car sales place and Aldi, as was mentioned.

Lastly, I'm not quite sure why we need a KFC on Mapperley Top. Considering where its been put, next to a petrol station and a major junction (with Woodthorpe Drive) and opposite one of the only ways out of the top of the Porchester Gardens estate (where I live) I can only imagine this will make the traffic there even worse. There are already regular tailbacks from the junction with the top of Porchester Road. I wonder who got the back-hander to let those plans through?!

I used to play in the brickyards when I was young - I remember climbing into the  trucks when I was 12 in the part that was between Woodthorpe Drive and Breckhill Road and being chased off by a worker!  I also used to play in the next part of the brickyard between Woodthorpe Drive and Woodthorpe Road. I remember my older brother and his friends sliding down a steep slope into the brickyard from the top of Woodthorpe Drive and me following them.  I would be about 6 or 7 at that time.  My brother was supposed to be looking after me!  The brickyards were very slippery clay (of course) and there were large ponds everywhere.  There were lots of pussy willow trees there and I collected some sprays of that in March 1966 to go in a vase in Mapperley Methodist Church where we got married, along with daffodils from our garden

• Upvote 1