Carlton and Desperate Dan!

Hi

Newbie from Nottingham bought up in Gedling. I am researching my family history, Godfrey family of Carlton. BUT as I realise a lot of the readers here are 'oldies' like me you may be interested in my Uncle on my father's side.. Dudley D Watkins was my Uncle, the creator and first illustrator of Desperate Dan, Lord Snooty in the Dandy and Beano comics. I image like myself, there are a number of you who read these comics by torchlight under the bed clothes! Dudley also drew The Broons and Oor Wullie who still feature in the Scottish Sunday Post today.

• Upvote 5

Do you know Sally Smith (Wilson), I know she is doing work on your family tree, I'm in touch with her on Facebook (And Peter) if you need me to get the two of you together

Thank you Cliff Ton When I was at school nobody would believe Dudley was my Uncle which I found it strange. I probably thought every child had a cartoonist for an uncle! Junior school I hasten to add!!

Beefsteak Yes I am on Sally's facebook and Peter's. Sally is my third cousin and Peter is 1st cousin once removed, my mother's cousin. i am the gt granddaughter of John and Emma's Godfrey's eldest son and Peter is the grandson of John and Emma's youngest son.

Didn't some Godfreys live on Marshall Hill Drive ? They in turn were something to do with Godfreys Nurseries 50s and 60s .?

Cliff Ton My Watkins Grandparent's lived in Nottingham. My Grandpa Will Watkins was a lithographic artist and for a very short while my Grandpa and Granny moved to Manchester looking for work. Dudley was born there, but the family returned to Nottingham when Dudley was 3 months old. So that in my book makes him a Nottinghamian! In a number of articles about Dudley it says that he and his family moved to Scotland. This is not so. My Father was at school in Nottingham when Dudley moved to study art at the Glasgow School of Art and so my father, Aunt and Grandparent's stayed in Nottingham. Dudley then moved to Dundee to work for D C Thomson. Can't trust Wikipedia!

Glad you're in touch there Angela.

I used to go to Sunday school at Main Street Methodist with Sally and later through youth fellowship on holidays etc, I've got some film of one of our youth fellowship holidays somewhere, there's a bit on there of me putting a crab in Sally's bikini bottom (Sorry Sally) I'll see if I can find it.

We had a reunion at Peters house last November.

Here you go, I forgot Peter has put them on youtube, ignore the first couple of minutes, (Peters animation skills coming to the fore) I'm the chubby kid causing mayhem, if you can't work it out !

• Upvote 1

Beg your pardon , it was Richard Udalls bathers I put the crab in, I put flowers in Sally's !
There are a couple more relatives of yours on there too, Trish Bancroft ring any bells?

Beefsteak I know of the Bancroft girls by name only, they are all on my family tree. Their Grandmother Emma was sister to my Grandpa Harold. I knew their Mum and Dad though, cousins to Mum.

Mum typed the news letter for Mainstreet Chapel for many years and also belonged to a ladies group there. I went to Sunday School for a short while at Mainstreet. My brother Phil Watkins went to the YPF but he is Peter's age so before your time.

Sally is the Gt Granddaughter of Samuel Godfrey, John's brother.

I have just transcribed John Godfrey's diaries 1894 - 1920. An absolute delight and a good lesson in family, social and world history.