Continue along Lincoln Street.

P1010447_zpspz5xzo2o.jpg

This road used to be full of small shops, including a Post Office, a good chip shop & numerous other shops, none left now, all gone, converted in to flats etc.

P1010452_zpsatl4vit0.jpg

Sladen's old yard, where I did a short stint there forty two years ago.

P1010453_zpspgvzbonv.jpg

One of the best Ice Cream companies.

P1010455_zps6azrarj0.jpg

This place looks top heavy !

P1010456_zps5voz8irw.jpg

An old Co-op perhaps?

P1010459_zpsinqygesl.jpg

P1010460_zpslqnnxxt2.jpg

Forum rules stipulate only a certain amount of pictures up to 50 KB so will continue with Part 3.

• Upvote 4

So sad to see how Lincoln street looks today,.......think that building Central offices was a Bank at one time,and behind that was Billy Bacons field,where the annual Basford Wakes was held.......Spent alot of my younger years in the area where i had 2 Aunts on Wicklow street,and you could buy all your everyday needs on Lincoln street.

When me and wife 1st got married in 85' we lived in the area and have very happy memories,i remember the flats being knocked down about the same time,and whilst they had a bad reputation i knew alot of people that were happy there,..........but they were a blot on the landscape.

edit. the flats not the people...........lol.

• Upvote 2

Nice pics Cat!

Only thing I recognise is the footbridge over the railway.

Around 1960-63 we would regularly cycle down from High Pavement at lunch time to visit the old Herbalists in Lincoln Street. The bloke there would sell you an ounce or so of pretty much anything for a few coppers. Sulphur, Potassium Nitrate etc., for making our gunpowder. Potassium Permanganate, which with glycerine does interesting things and most memorably, Iodine Crystals for making Nitrogen Tri-Iodide, a highly unstable compound which explodes on being touched, or less. Great fun when painted onto various surfaces and quite harmless...

Remember the wakes at Billy Bacon's field, though I didn't know it was called that back then. Can still distinctly remember the Waltzer playing the Beatles 'I'm Down', followed in rapid succession by 'Sir Douglas Quintet 'She's About a Mover'. Two faves.

And of course most memorably, I built those 20 story blocks of flats with all the deck access ones too, though to be fair.. I had a bit of help.

After Ronan Point, we spent days on end drilling holes in the concrete so that brackets could be bolted in, tying each wall panel to the floor. Rather better than just relying on gravity.to hold everything together :)

Also vaguely remember that late 50s early 60s somewhere in that general area the 43rd or 44th Nottm scouts/cubs had a building. It was on a curved corner.

• Upvote 1

I have had a bit of a think. In actual fact the original Register office was on Percy Street.

I now think the 1912 building may have been something to do with Basford Rural District Council, its for sure their address was Nottingham road.

The Basford Rural District offices were at Rock House, where Mill Street met Percy Street, opposite The Rose pub. Civil weddings were undertaken there. Moved to Highbury Vale.

^^^^^I agree the register office was there, but when I looked into it the address for the old council offices was Nottingham Rd and I have it in my mind I went into that building for some reason, just hope I can drag it out of the old brain....................