A Road that Had Everything - Mansfield Rd

Had some dealings on that street................and i'm certain it was much safer,back in the days when Jill came across it..............

• Upvote 1
  • Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a dead body on Mansfield Road once. It was in the early’70’s – times of great industrial unrest with three-day weeks, strikes, persistent power cuts and such.   It was a Saturday, mi

This thread had a lot of photos which were ruined by Photobucket's ransomware. I've just repaired most of them.

A quick run through PTP brought out a few examples from the 70s / 80s.    

That was a real boozer,OK you needed 3 previous convictions to drink in there,but the Landlady was from sligo- and had a great left hook! ( The Roebuck.)

Following on from Cliffs Google map post,I was surprised to see Wellington st.and Watkins st.are virtually untouched... though the image is spoilt by two fat traffic wardens bill posting!

• 1 month later...

Another great one pulled out the bag Cliff..good on ya!!

Forgotten Jolleys taxis used land crabs as well as Oxfords, two or three shops behind the Arnold bus was a retailer that sold tack room gear and saddle soap..used to buy beige circular tons of cream for boots etc..Carr's were there until 1972.

Nice pictures CliffTon. Somewhere along there, was a Jewellers shop, the place I had my ears pierced in around 1962/3, and also a Chinese restaurant, where I had my first Chinese food around 1964. Not very adventurous, I think it was Prawn Curry and Rice. No disrespect to the establishment but I had a funny turn and had to dash for the Ladies Loo. 

I think the two shops were somewhere opposite where Huntingdon St, Alfred St North, and Mansfield Rd joined. At that time most of mams side of the family still lived around there. Not for much longer though. None of the streets survived for much longer. Shame that!

I know you had some memories of that area Ian, Mine were good ones, I hope yours were too. :) I don't suppose you can remember the name of a Chinese Restaurant along that part of Mansfield Rd can you. I have tried to remember over the years but along with the shops and houses, it has gone from my memory.

• 2 months later...

Bottom end of Mansfield Road in the 1920s. Victoria Station clock tower at top left; Skynner Street in the lower centre; and at bottom right the distinctive shape of the side entrance to Moon's garage on Sherwood Street (#17 here.... https://nottstalgia.com/forums/topic/4903-fire/#comment-503620)

wzkQQkw.jpg

• Upvote 2

A great photo Cliff, i notice the old music hall standing ( centre) on the corner of Peacheys St. Which is now Sandfield house. I think they eventually put glass skylights in Moons roof.

Maybe TBI will know the answer -the white structure tucked behind Moulin Rouge cinema.... that was an asbestos roofed garage which in my go became Dolphin Motors.

The tree which is near Major Street is a puzzler....probably joined some nutty slack on someone's fire!

Clearance on the bottom of South Sherwood St.has taken place...Central in mind??

5 minutes ago, iandawson said:

Clearance on the bottom of South Sherwood St.has taken place...Central in mind??

I only just realised that this is obviously before the Fire Station was built. Coincidence that the place has finally closed within the last few weeks.

7 hours ago, iandawson said:

I think they eventually put glass skylights in Moons roof. Maybe TBI will know the answer

I don't know if there were skylights, Ian, but I seem to remember the rear wall had quite a lot of glazing quite high up. Ran along the back to the Peachey St entrance.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I found a dead body on Mansfield Road once. It was in the early’70’s – times of great industrial unrest with three-day weeks, strikes, persistent power cuts and such.

It was a Saturday, mid to late evening and I was walking up Mansfield Road with some friends back to my flat next to the Grosvenor. It was dark due to the lack of power. All the light we had was from a not very full moon and a couple of torches – which weren’t much good and anyway, we wanted to conserve the batteries so they were switched off.

As we approached Bluecoat Street I almost tripped over something. No idea what it was. I switched my torch on and saw a man, lying on the ground. He looked 50 or so, very smartly dressed in a suit and had a tightly furled umbrella (don’t know why I remember that umbrella detail but, there you are). I thought at first that he had fainted or had been knocked out I felt his wrist for a pulse but I couldn’t feel anything. That wasn’t surprising really as I’d never tried to do that before. What I did notice, which made me shudder, was the clammy feel he had. He wasn’t cold-clammy but it didn’t feel right, didn’t feel like a living person

There was a zebra crossing nearby and a phone box (crossing still there, phone box has gone (Google SV)). I went in the phone box and fumbled about in the darkness to dial 999 – thank goodness phones worked on batteries and not the mains.

“Emergency, which service do you require?”

“I don’t know, I think I’ve found a dead body”

“This is the emergency service. For dead bodies, you need an undertaker”

She then put the phone down.

Bear in mind this was the nineteen seventies and there was very, very much less traffic around than there is now – and this was compounded by not many people being around because of the lack of electricity. I fancied I saw a police patrol car coming towards me so I went into the middle of Mansfield Road and flagged it down.

The cops were very helpful and sympathetic and continued with all the correct procedures. I was taken to Police HQ (Shakespeare Street, then?) for interview (by the light from numerous hurricane lamps). For an hour or so I was treated with some suspicion but soon the message came through that the man was dead and probably died from natural causes and I was allowed to go home.

I didn’t hear anything else about this incident and it seemingly merited but a single line in the NEP.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 2