A Road that Had Everything - Mansfield Rd

I think you'll find that Truman's garage was on Huntingdon St next to atkeys that was at the end of Union rd and Huntingdon St.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a dead body on Mansfield Road once. It was in the early’70’s – times of great industrial unrest with three-day weeks, strikes, persistent power cuts and such.   It was a Saturday, mi

This thread had a lot of photos which were ruined by Photobucket's ransomware. I've just repaired most of them.

A quick run through PTP brought out a few examples from the 70s / 80s.    

I only remember it being on Huntingdon St, but obviously from people who have a better recollection than me, know better. When it was on Mansfield rd then, was it still a jag, rover, triumph dealership?

I think it was Trumans. There was a Daf place nearby, could have been that. Daf had introduced the DAFfodil car and the place was painted pale yellow. That may have been on the other corner.

I remember the Day showroom vividly on Mansfield rd and the corner of? Help me out someone, can't remember the name of the St!

32 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Thanks Phil, a pal of a pal got me a ride in a rally car with one of the Sytners...scary!!!

Frank Sytner took me out for a ride in an Alpinarised 3 Series. This was just around the town. I’ve never been round a mini roundabout so quickly! Brilliant driver. Frank lives in Monte Carlo now, his older brother Alan, who used to own the Cavern in Liverpool, died some years ago. The Morgan +8 in my avatar was bought from Frank Sytner.

Can't quite remember when it ceased being a Mitsubishi dealer, and became a furniture store, or whether there was some other form of business in the interim period, but I remember ogling over a Mitsubishi Colt years ago, when it was a proper sports car, and not like the upturned pram that is manufactured under that name nowadays.

Also, the furniture store that was there in the mid 80's also sold lovely framed prints of remote country scenes by the late artist Alan Ingham. Over a period of time, I bought three of them at over £60 each. Since his untimely death of course, they are now pretty scarce, but odd ones appear occasionally in antique shops. 

On a sadder note, when I was burgled at Saxondale in the late 80's, my first Ingham print was one of the items taken. I've since replaced it, but it doesn't hold the same memories I'm afraid. 

21 hours ago, IAN123. said:

Waddo,did it move up to Mansfield rd,or they had a 2nd branch...Malcolm or Cliff confirmed on page 2.

Trumans moved directly from Mansfield Road to Huntingdon Street. Nowhere else in between. They eventually absorbed from there to TrumanMitchell on the corner of Triumph Road (Triumph Corner). It seems to me that at the same time Trumans became TrumanMitchell they moved into Field Aircraft Services place at Tollerton. Must have went into aeroplanes instead of cars.

5 minutes ago, The Pianoman said:

Trumans moved directly from Mansfield Road to Huntingdon Street. Nowhere else in between. They eventually absorbed from there to TrumanMitchell on the corner of Triumph Road (Triumph Corner). It seems to me that at the same time Trumans became TrumanMitchell they moved into Field Aircraft Services place at Tollerton. Must have went into aeroplanes instead of cars.

Truman Aviation was running at the same time as Truman’s Cars. Truman Aviation still operate Nottingham City Airport at Tollerton and there is still a Truman on the board.

Dereck Truman was operating Truman Aviation when I learned to fly back in 1973 and I think Truman’s were operating the airfield a long time before then. Truman Aviation was bought by the Leatherlands, office equipment dealers, of Castle Boulevard subsequently and it is now owned by Brian Wells the property developer and agriculturalist. 

32 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Car showrooms on Mansfield rd. seemed peculiar in some ways- Little independent car lots went as far as Carrington.

Bristol Street Motors behind the posh antique shop. (name?)

There was a very small car sale outlet opposite York House with bi- folding doors.

Also an Arthur Daly plot stood next to St.Johns Ambulance depot.

As regards DAF, I'm sure boxer Alan Minter came to Bluecoat st. garage connected to an advertising campaign he was with.

I think the antique/furniture shop might have been Smart and Shaw.