A Road that Had Everything - Mansfield Rd

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a dead body on Mansfield Road once. It was in the early’70’s – times of great industrial unrest with three-day weeks, strikes, persistent power cuts and such.   It was a Saturday, mi

This thread had a lot of photos which were ruined by Photobucket's ransomware. I've just repaired most of them.

A quick run through PTP brought out a few examples from the 70s / 80s.    

Not quite Mansfield rd,but can't find a Peel st thread. What was the taxi firm called on Peel st, the phone no was 47606 probably added a 5 prefix later!

Edit, just remembered, it was phone a car, fon  a cab, fon  a car or something like that.

• 1 month later...

Spent quite a bit of time in the Vic hotel in my apprenticeship days.  They were renovating some of the rooms putting in bathrooms etc. we were wiring for lighting and shaver sockets.  Parking was often a problem there.  They didn't seem to have much.  Much nicer view out of the Windows back then before the Trinity Square car park.

• Like 1
On 18/01/2018 at 11:22 AM, philmayfield said:

Bristol Street Motors used to be “Siddons for Citroen’s”

I began my apprenticeship at Siddon's in 1961, just me and an old fellah 'Jack Slater' on Citroens. I think before  Ben Siddon became a Citroen dealer he sold Jowetts I took my test in a Jowett Javelin.

After a 'free transfer' I completed my apprenticeship at Cripps (commercial vehicles) Triumph Road.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Regarding finding the body, I'm a bit confused by the perspective in the picture. I certainly found it near to the crossing shown but my memory of the phone box is that it was nearer to the crossing on the other side of Bluecoat St. I may well be mistaken in that - it was 50 years ago!

Whilst here, on the subject of Mansfield Road, does anyone remember Ouroboros, a hippie commune wholefood cooperative in the part just past Bluecoat St going towards the city?

On June 11, 2018 at 2:51 AM, The Pianoman said:

Thats a Humber Sceptre. Different roof line to a Singer Vogue.

I used to own a Singer Chamonix. I missed a stop sign at a cross road and caused an almighty crash with 2 other cars. I had just put in a radio myself which shorted and the car caught fire. It was a very close shave but I managed to escape.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Don’t want to be pedantic but it would have been a ‘Chamois’.

Sorry either my 3rd year French coming out or a typing fart 

What about the Morgan?

• 2 months later...

I remember that as The Roebuck - gay bar on the left, straight bar on the right. Only went in once - not because it was gay but because I didn't like the discrimination shown by bar staff (a somewhat oversize dyke):

"Are you in the right bar, duck?"

I didn't think it mattered that much, I went in for a pint, not a liaison.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...