A Road that Had Everything - Mansfield Rd

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a dead body on Mansfield Road once. It was in the early’70’s – times of great industrial unrest with three-day weeks, strikes, persistent power cuts and such.   It was a Saturday, mi

This thread had a lot of photos which were ruined by Photobucket's ransomware. I've just repaired most of them.

A quick run through PTP brought out a few examples from the 70s / 80s.    

• 8 months later...

Just sat and read though all the post.

Bill the Barber was one of the oldest barber's in Nottingham he had a very good reputation and if memory server's me right he was still cutting hair when he was 80, one of the shops no one has mentioned was one of Nottingham's oldest hairdressing salon's  "MASION FIELDS" which was about 4/5 shops down from "judes" cake shop,  and I think it is still there, under another name.

Looking at roads that had everything 3 come to mind 

Wilford Rd Meadows, Mansfield Rd Sherwood, and of cause St Ann's Well Rd.

Message to Jill and Cliff post and page 3/4  Looking down to St Ann's 

could see grubby children shoeless and sockless  

many thanks this could have been me but the ironic thing is I never saw any children in St Ann's with out socks or shoes, grubby yes after playing out side.  At the time there were lot's of back to back housing in Nottingham, my father was from the Meadows and he told me on his first job interview he went to it with no back  in his trousers year about 1919 now Jill and Cliff I'm sure your not that old.

Was that the driving school just past the Vic station? If it was, didn't it have some sort of simulator in it?. I seem to remember something like that when I was young, it might have been somewhere else!

3 hours ago, Waddo said:

Was that the driving school just past the Vic station?

BSM (British School of Motoring) mentioned in the very 1st post in this thread :crazy: by someone with a fantastic knowledge of Nottingham named only as “the guest” They’ve not even got a post count? Was that his/her real name? Why did they not join? Where are they now? Nottstalgia needs you :Friends: 

• Like 3

If i remember right BSM was just above Victoria station same side i cant remember the simulator i did 5 lessons there after the fifth went with their car to Basford to do the test i was surprised i passed the first time it seemed very strange driving alone. I also had a Morris 1000 which i bought 3 months before i passed my test i went for driving practice with my grandad around Players at Radford.

I took my test at Basford. I think I had 10 prepaid lessons. When I passed the instructor wouldn’t allow me to drive back to base. Against the rules apparently!

At the time of my test my father was promoted to a director of his company so I was immediately driving his company Mk.2 Jag. He was quite happy to let me use it at 17. I met a friend recently who recalled us bombing down University Boulevard at 100mph !

The only MK2 Jag i ever drove was when i parked them in my fathers car repair shop if they stayed over night drove many different makes the rarest was a 1958 Facel Vega.My father did eventually by himself a MK2 JAG it was his favourite car.

Mansfield Road is not very lovely these days with lots of boarded up shops ....... but if any of you men who still have hair are looking for a barber then you've got at least a dozen (mainly Turkish) to choose from between Vic Centre and Forest Road.  

• Like 1

I’ve got lots of hair but I have to go all the way to Blidworth to get it cut. My barber had a shop in both Blidworth and Southwell but he closed the Southwell branch and opened for extra days in Blidworth. The annoying thing is he only lives two miles away in Fiskerton!

9 hours ago, radfordred said:

BSM (British School of Motoring) mentioned in the very 1st post in this thread :crazy: by someone with a fantastic knowledge of Nottingham named only as “the guest” They’ve not even got a post count? Was that his/her real name? Why did they not join? Where are they now? Nottstalgia needs you :Friends: 

A few of us know who 'Mr Guest' is RR,  unfortunately I believe he got upset around the time of the Scottish Referendum because a handful of Nottstalgians stated that the UK was better off without the Scots (he is Scottish!) 

Yes he is very knowledgeable about the city and county and writes very interesting articles on varied topics. 

• Like 1
49 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve got lots of hair but I have to go all the way to Blidworth to get it cut. My barber had a shop in both Blidworth and Southwell but he closed the Southwell branch and opened for extra days in Blidworth. The annoying thing is he only lives two miles away in Fiskerton!

Noticed today a barber's shop on Front Street Arnold is £4 gents haircut & a fiver for women's !

Mansfield road just as far as Forest road has over the years been just about the busiest road for retail business in Nottingham.........and continuing Northwards its been the home of even more,,stretching as far as Daybrook.

Over the years ive worked on the road at several establishments.......

1/ Farrands.........corner of Fulforth st,,l learned my limited knowledge of the Wine trade there from mr Jock Brown...

2/ Northern Dairies,,......retail,part of Farrands,,allegedly Haunted,,,ive mentioned elsewhere..

3/Farrands.....Carrington.......famous in its day for their Ground Coffee,,used to sprinkle coffee on shop floor,,gave it sumat special

4/ Coop......Carrington .....think still there,, caught a shoplifter there with a Prime Minister's name

5/Marsdens....Sherwood.....was next door to the Bus depot,,,Managed by one of the nicest men i ever worked with Sid Howard,ex Chindit,,

6/Farrands........Sherwood....opposite what was Fine Fare,,

7/Thrifty..........Sherwood,,re launched from the Farrands above,,

8/ Coop........Sherwood.........think still there,,,got a black eye one night there,,

9/ Farrands......Daybrook.....relief managed the shop for a week.....circa 1963,,

10/ Marsdens....Daybrook/Redhill...........very tiny store.....

For a single road,,,it certainly did have everything,,,well it did for me anyway.............Mostly i was there in the 60s,,,,and have great memories of co workers at most of the stores...............

• Like 2