A Road that Had Everything - Mansfield Rd

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I found a dead body on Mansfield Road once. It was in the early’70’s – times of great industrial unrest with three-day weeks, strikes, persistent power cuts and such.   It was a Saturday, mi

This thread had a lot of photos which were ruined by Photobucket's ransomware. I've just repaired most of them.

A quick run through PTP brought out a few examples from the 70s / 80s.    

Looking north with the old tram depot on the left, a few yards aheaD.  Is that right?

• Upvote 1

Sort of related to the above photo, I don't know whether it's ever been posted but found this recently, inside view of Sherwood (Tram) Bus depot 1901,

And the men are probably from the manufacturer assembling the first Trams to run the route.

5HuFmhH.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

If (back in the day) the bus I was on from Long Row to Arnold (# 69) turned into Sherwood Depot there was a groan from the passengers ...... it meant we had to get off and then onto another bus to continue the journey.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
13 hours ago, MargieH said:

Looking north with the old tram depot on the left, a few yards aheaD.  Is that right?

And the old tram depot is now Wetherspoons Sam Hall which has been home to a few Nottstalgians recently.

12 hours ago, denshaw said:

Also used to change drivers at the depot, you could be there ages sometimes.

That always seemed to happen on the bus to my grandparents in Radford. It stopped near the junction of Alfreton Road/Bentinck Road and the crews would walk along Caulton Street from Radford Road.

• 2 years later...
On 9/6/2018 at 7:11 AM, jonab said:

I remember that as The Roebuck - gay bar on the left, straight bar on the right. Only went in once - not because it was gay but because I didn't like the discrimination shown by bar staff (a somewhat oversize dyke):

"Are you in the right bar, duck?"

I didn't think it mattered that much, I went in for a pint, not a liaison.

Was this Maxine? Also, was she Irish?