A Road that Had Everything - Mansfield Rd

Dereck Truman was operating Truman Aviation when I learned to fly back in 1973 and I think Truman’s were operating the airfield a long time before then. Truman Aviation was bought by the Leatherlands, office equipment dealers, of Castle Boulevard subsequently and it is now owned by Brian Wells the property developer and agriculturalist. 

32 minutes ago, IAN123. said:

Car showrooms on Mansfield rd. seemed peculiar in some ways- Little independent car lots went as far as Carrington.

Bristol Street Motors behind the posh antique shop. (name?)

There was a very small car sale outlet opposite York House with bi- folding doors.

Also an Arthur Daly plot stood next to St.Johns Ambulance depot.

As regards DAF, I'm sure boxer Alan Minter came to Bluecoat st. garage connected to an advertising campaign he was with.

I think the antique/furniture shop might have been Smart and Shaw.

Interestingly Nottingham airport was originally built by T. Shipside, another motor dealer back in the 1920's. There is a book fairly recently written on the history of Tollerton airfield. I'm sure a browsing will turn it up for the interested.

Thank you Phil,somewhere in my addled brain the antique shop I am recalling started its retail life down near The Peacock pub,then progressed to near Hucknall Rd. Junction... Where Masala Indian is....did it move to Nottm Rd. near Perry Rd.turnoff?

Physco  babble...been gone from those shores a long time.

1 hour ago, IAN123. said:

Also an Arthur Daly plot stood next to St.Johns Ambulance depot.

This one ? (which is actually on the first page of this thread, but worth repeating.....)

zpcIoeE.jpg

• Like 2

It's the junction with Woodborough Road, which is just creeping in on the right. Photographer is standing with his back to the Truman's building.

Hey! Spot on Cliff,

Never bought a motor from that outlet, but my Father purchased a light 15 from sills motors which was on York St.

Behind The Roebuck.

Not quite Mansfield rd,but can't find a Peel st thread. What was the taxi firm called on Peel st, the phone no was 47606 probably added a 5 prefix later!

Edit, just remembered, it was phone a car, fon  a cab, fon  a car or something like that.

Ace taxis were on Peel street too, was there a place on North Sherwood st where the taxis used to fill up with gas?

• Upvote 1

Trying to think Den..there were 2 filling stations....one had pumps on the end of Bluecoat st.facing gable end of 

Newcastle Arms....the other fuel pumps were at the top on the left..behind poacher.

Cliff posted it on KP 's peel st.thread.

ec836bd68f6976fa4a2a6ef656b18981.jpgAnother replacement image to our recent ravaging.Trinity Square car had gone,as has Birbeck House. Harry off Leybourne Drive was head waiter at the Vic Hotel for yonks.

• Like 1

Spent quite a bit of time in the Vic hotel in my apprenticeship days.  They were renovating some of the rooms putting in bathrooms etc. we were wiring for lighting and shaver sockets.  Parking was often a problem there.  They didn't seem to have much.  Much nicer view out of the Windows back then before the Trinity Square car park.

• Like 1

Right Dave..hope the windows are thick too!

All that traffic etc.. Did Cassius Clay stay there?

I was too young for the Whistle Stop Bar...but ended up on a bender with actor Kenneth Cranham one night...don't ask!

Don't remember Cassius (I'm the greatest) Clay staying there.  We never mixed with the guests very much.

large_1.jpgA great image of Moulin Rouge picture house...taken from the ramp at Victoria Station.John Garners and Quality Cars..which became Dolphin Motors( backed onto North Church St.)

The Kray Twins visited that cinema for a midnight show of a skin flick!

Scaffolding on Burbeck House and Dawsons Bikes can just be seen.

• Like 2