A Road that Had Everything - Mansfield Rd

On June 11, 2018 at 2:51 AM, The Pianoman said:

Thats a Humber Sceptre. Different roof line to a Singer Vogue.

I used to own a Singer Chamonix. I missed a stop sign at a cross road and caused an almighty crash with 2 other cars. I had just put in a radio myself which shorted and the car caught fire. It was a very close shave but I managed to escape.

1 hour ago, philmayfield said:

Don’t want to be pedantic but it would have been a ‘Chamois’.

Sorry either my 3rd year French coming out or a typing fart 

What about the Morgan?

37 minutes ago, philmayfield said:

I’ve already told you about the Morgan and the use of the word fart is causing some offence.:biggrin:

Saw it 

A tradesman with horse & cart crosses onto Mansfield Rd.Bluecoat St.and pupil in the background..1920's.34437cc743a8558bf25bb88fc5a23a34.jpg

• Like 2

Classic photo there Ian.

• Like 1

Taken from the roof of Bullimore & Parker...or the Noor Jahn.A snowy Mansfield Rd.DXlk_ILDXc_AAQCJZ.jpg

• Like 1

The last surviving part of The Nottingham Brewery.54430.1.640.640.UNPAD.jpgDen..like me recalls this as The Roebuck..it was 'interesting' to say the least.Seen here in the 1980's as Old Moores Tavern.Also traded as Bobby Browns and The Empire- note the shops and church nextdoor are long gone..the notorious Sven Books still makes me laugh.

Photographed from Major St.

• Like 2

I remember that as The Roebuck - gay bar on the left, straight bar on the right. Only went in once - not because it was gay but because I didn't like the discrimination shown by bar staff (a somewhat oversize dyke):

"Are you in the right bar, duck?"

I didn't think it mattered that much, I went in for a pint, not a liaison.

• Like 1

Just behind Bullimores on Major St. Was a Plumbing Contractors that used A35 vans...anyone recall Rileys?

Or Wards Window Cleaners and Painters & Decorators? They used to have the contract at Turners Bakery.

The Nags Head, Mansfield Rd.Not to be confused with the OGNH..which was across the road.If the story is true..this is the pub the sentenced man refused to have his last drink in..before heading to Hangman's Hill at St.Andrews Church..quite foolishly..a messenger dashed up Mansfield Rd.with a pardon from Shire Hall..too late..he went straight up to Forest Rd.junction.aff9264f4715796e265df831122ff66d--remini

• Like 2

Thats where the saying "Drink Nottingham ale and you'll live longer" comes from

Rog

• Like 1

...my thread on Mansfield Rd.still seems to generate posts.

Bluecoat School departed this area in the Summer of Love.notts-new-blue-coat-school-nottingham-anAs featured in the illustrated London News of 1853. The grand opening.64747-1-640-640-UNPAD.jpgSadly many ornate features have been removed.7370597083a696f7d94002fb18926041.jpgEdwardian winter image of Bluecoat School.

• Like 2