Habits learnt from our parents.

My parents lived through WWII as young adults; my father in the RAF and Mother an Auxiliary nurse and factory worker.

During the late 50s and into the 60s, as a result of the scarcity of food for those unable to afford the black market during and after the war, my mother always used to buy a little extra for her special food store cupboard, "just in case". I also had a shortage of money when younger and now that I can afford it, I often buy a few extra bits to stockpile "For a rainy day". My sister says that I got it from mother and she is probably right too.

• Upvote 2

My DAD was a creature of habit all his life, when he worked on the railway (40 years) it was walk to Bulwell common station catch 'dickie dido' to Annesley, return home and depending what shift he'd done,sit in the kitchen do the crossword then pack his 'Snap' for next day then to bed.Day off down to Railway club for a pint and game of 'Ku-Kan' with his mates.........same holiday most years 'Rhyl' in same boarding house....He was a very happy hard working man.

I always admired him in every way.......but also never wanted that type of life and always fought against being a creature of habit,the only habit ive aquired since semi-retirement is my morning visits to Bulwell,i always even now get very restless,like to work still but must be different challenges and roles,even where ever ive lived never want it to be my final abode,me and the wife have lived in 5 different houses in 30 years,and would like another change soon..............nice where we are but still want change,..........are'nt folk funny.

• Upvote 2

Very true, Ben. My parents always seemed short of a quid, when I was a pup. Seemed to often lead to arguments. Sooooo! I suppose it has tended to make me a bit what some would call stingy. I prefer frugal. Lol. Both of my marriages tend to be with ladies of the same mindset, which I suppose is natural. I try to fix everything I can. Make it last as long as possible. Not into the latest clothes, although I keep mine clean. Grow my own veggies in the summer. I've thought of keeping chickens. Biggest expense in recent years was the organ, and I get loads of pleasure out of that. Worth its weight in gold. So I guess I'll die and leave me savings to me kids and they'll just spend 'em.

• Upvote 1

Same here, always been 'frugal' as an adult (when I was a kid it was in one hand and over the bar the next!)
SWMBO has never really 'wanted for anything' coming from a well off family, me? we never had a pot to p155 in as kids, and always had to wait for everything (6 years old before the first telly, 11 before a fridge, 12 before a phone and 15 before a car are just a few examples)
The 'Habit learned from our parents' here for me was "Never a borrower or a lender be'' and as an adult it has stood me in good stead.

I also got the habit of fishing off of my old man but that's another tale!
:jumping:

• Upvote 3

A lot of today's young parents don't know they are born !

My kids were brought up quite strict & taught not to waste anything.

What my daughter discards is criminal, she will buy clothes etc & never wear them, Why ?

Not to have at least two overseas holidays a year (usually USA) is beneath her, considering we were lucky if I could afford a week in a caravan at Ingoldmells.

Having said that I'm glad my kids have not had to struggle like I did, I really feel for the young parents today who never had the opportunities I had regarding plenty of work available when I wanted a job.

• Upvote 5

My daughter made me cry a little while back. (Really)

She had gone through her school bag throwing a lot of old letters and things in the shredding bin when I asked about a letter she had with the schools address emblazoned across the top.
"It's a trip to the theatre in Manchester to watch "Mama Mia"
"Well why didn't you give it to us?"
"Oh I didn't think we could afford it, it's £30"
I checked the date and it still hadn't happened, so SWMBO called the school to see if it was too late for her to get a seat, there had been a couple of cancellations so they were very happy to take her.

Like I said, I held her in my arms sobbing at her thoughtfulness and explained that if it had been a £1,200 weeks skiing trip then there may be a problem (Especially as I can get a family of four of us to Spain and back, hire car, accommodation etc for less than that.) But a 30 quid theatre visit isn't such a problem!

It later transpires (After the visit) that her drama teacher was a little miffed that our Charlotte wasn't going to go! Guess what their summer production is? .... Yup " Mama Mia" and who's taking lead........... yup again, Our Charlotte!

• Upvote 5

I still try not to waste anything and only buy what we need in the way of food - learnt that from my mum. Paul hates to throw anything away if it's broken but mendable, as his family didn't have a lot of money when he was young and 'make do and mend' was the only attitude to have.

Another thing I always try to do which is unrelated to how much money is available is "If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" and also "If you can't say anything nice about someone, don't say anything at all" (mum again). She was a good teacher I think, instilling such habits in me .... I feel really sad now as, in my mind, I can still hear her saying these things... she died in 1997 aged 94.

• Upvote 7

My mum too had her little store even in 1967, mainly 2lb bags of sugar if I remember, in the cupboard at the side of the fire place where the primary hot water pipes were. Then cans of John West in the larder.

Dad was different maybe because he was older born 1902, I was a late arrival 1946. After much privation in his early life and two world wars his attitude was if you have the money and you want something then buy it. you may be dead tomorrow. Not being religious I remember well a phrase he used often. "You only live once, enjoy it while you can".

One thing I definitely got from dad was a love of the countryside, even when very young I remember being belted to him on the back of his motor cycle and being taken for runs out on a Sunday morning. Bluebell woods just outside Calvo, up the 614 to Ollerton and any where in between, all the different villages along the Trent.

• Upvote 4

I can list a lot of habits I have learned from my parents including a love of the countryside, museums, libraries, books,cars, music and having a lot of good laughs. My dad encouraged me to ask questions, talk to people and listen to them. His words of advice were "never be afraid to ask". This is a very powerful when used in a pleasant and polite manner.

My parents and grandparents kept key paperwork. I have my grandfather's union membership card from 1893 and my grandmother's school attendance certificates. I am maintaining and developing the collection to pass on. These things are a way of recording lives and keeping memories.

• Upvote 2

Someone I know cannot understand why I don't spend my full limit on my credit card and why I live within my means and pay off the balance in full each month. She believes in spending all they will allow and then instead of paying off what she owes, she switches the balance to another supplier in order to avoid paying interest. It must be an awful bind having to remember who you have had your balance transferred to and who is still available to do so. Needless to say - this person is a generation younger than me.

• Upvote 1

I inherited good manners, table manners, chivalry, politeness, how to treat a lady correctly, kindness, compassion and consideration, kind to animals and the correct use of English. As a child, I had elocution tuition, but I can still F & Blind it and get stuck in whenever necessary!

• Upvote 3

From Dad.......

Always stand your ground,never run away.

Work Hard,at everything you do.

Always dress smart

Never swear in front of ladies,or be vulgar

Always pay your round

Be kind to animals

Have a sense of humour,at all times

From Mam...........all the above,and never settle for 2nd best,and if you can't be good be careful......lol.

• Upvote 4

Likewise Benjamin, strive for perfection, if a jobs worth doing, it's worth doing well.

However, keeping a sense of humour is somewhat difficult at times. Oh well, I do my best!

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...

My love of music ,I got from my Dad.I also got some strange habits from him....such as if you cut your toenails on a Friday you will have bad luck,cut them on a Sunday and the Devil will get you.Dont know where this came from,anyone else heard of it?

Same here Cranky,............never cut nails friday or sunday,..........also never open 'Umbrella' in doors........and never do washing on Sundays....all from Mam.

• Upvote 1

Never wear a hat indoors. I detest seeing these z list celebs on tv with a hat on, miserably trying to look trendy.

It's not trendy you numb nuts, it's downright pig bleddy ignorant.

• Upvote 1

here,here, to that fly............once went to a meeting at a local Church hall in Grantham,the area had been plagued by troublesome yobs,i was representing the local Coop,..........the Vicar and local tory MP were taking the meeting and the Yobs were invited and turned up all wearing Baseball Caps,i asked that they removed em...........did'nt go down well with the Vicar and MP........They intimated that i was the trouble causer.................and the meeting broke down in disarray............lol.

• Upvote 1

Typical, do gooders attempting to appease the plebs. Disastrous!

My lads have tried hats/hoods indoors..not when Dawson's around!

Habits learnt etc:

Clean shoes and teggies.

Table manners.

Polite to elderly and ladies.

Courteous on the road.

On the down side:

Cross talk.

Short fuse.

Short attention span.

Cut them on Monday, you cut them for health;
cut them on Tuesday, you cut them for wealth;
cut them on Wednesday, you cut them for news;
cut them on Thursday, a new pair of shoes;

cut them on Friday, you cut them for sorrow;
cut them on Saturday, see your true love tomorrow;
cut them on Sunday, the devil will be with you all the week.

• Upvote 4

#22 Comp - Are you talking about cutting finger/toe nails ? - My mother was so superstitious about almost everything........walking under ladders, drawing the curtains in daylight, putting shoes on a table, putting an umbrella up in the house and loads more, she used to drive us mad........

So how many of you still "touch wood" when speaking of things like "haven't had a cold so far this Winter - touch wood". That and going shopping for the "rations". Still do both here in Oz.