Deep Shelter on Mansfield Road?

Hiya,

Not sure where I should put this, so i've put it on here and hopefully someone will put it where it should go. sorry.

On Mansfield Road opposite the Cemetary (and almost opposite the white Keepers Lodge on the edge of the forest), on the left hand side as you're traveling into Nottm, theres a stone entrance with stone steps down, it has an iron grill on the front of it with a large padlock on it. Just wondered if it is a deep shelter (air raid shelter type thing) under the road, and if there's another entrance to it and if anyones ever been in there?

Also on theh opposite site of the forest (where the trams go up and down) there used to be old quarries there, and there's supposed to be some tunnels down there. wonder if anyones been in any of them either?

Sorry for all the questions. Would like to get in any of them if at all possible and take some pics. Thank you.

:) Sal :)

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The entrance.     I’ve posted this before & I apologise for interfering with your ‘Keep One’ & ‘How's Your Day’ & ‘Jokes’ etc, but behind those doors is:  

Been down the peel Street sand mines... There's loads of it, it's pretty deep from the entrance but on some levels you can hear tvs from houses above..... Been down the Mansfield road mine too which c

:Friends: Hiya sal, not heard of any tunnels going under the forest or even know where the steps go on Mansfield road sorry!

Do i take it that you like caving? or is it just empty houses?

When it stops raining here in rainsoaked Chilwell i will take a look at those steps on mansfield road, should i take me pit helmet or bolt cutters??..

ooooooooh both, and high vis waistcoat.

I like looking at anything empty and derelict. factories, hospitals and asylums (old and closed), railway tunnels and stations, anything. keep wondering about the old cussons factory in basford. everytime i go past on train, see it boarded up. that ones driving me nuts and i wanna go have a look and take pics.

hang on,ill pm you with the website im on regarding urban exploration, thats where all this wanting to know bout derelict places comes from. hang on.

It means she'd like to come see your flat!!!

ooooooh lovely. would there be an easy ish type entry or do they have grills or padlocked gates on them? Wouldn't mind a look in them either. thank you.

• 7 months later...

Ayup Smileysal

Mansfield road area is full of old tunnels, I remember back in the mid eighties being invited on a trial visit to some of these caves, the entrance being towards Peel street, the first part of the tunnel/cave was used in the war as an air raid shelter but as we got deeper into them it turns out they were disused sand mine tunnels from the 1700s, and these ran all the way to the top of Mansfield road and beyond hence the rock cemetary as we called it, As the sand mine progressed under the apex of Mansfield road the tunnel kept a level with the result of the surface getting shallower and eventually collapsing causing the death of 15 sand miners, a bill was passed in parliament prohibiting any sand mining in Nottinghamshire again , My invitation to these tunnels was from the Nottingham civic society and they were seeing how much interest could be generated to having regular underground trips in this location so ask around and you might get an invitation yourself, I hope so as they're worth a visit. Hope this has helped

Cheers

Roger

• 11 months later...

I spoke last week to a couple who had quite recently walked through the caves beginning on Peel Street and culminating at a shop on Mansfield Road.

Re the house on Mansfield Road with the 'shelter', a friend of mine was brought up I think next door to that house and I'll ask him the story next I see him.

• 1 month later...

Facinating stuff there matey

Thanks

I take it you are one of these Urban Explorer types (I'd love to do it my self but I'm a bit too big to squeeze through some of them gaps........LOL

Check this thread:

http://nottstalgia.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=3685

There is a link to an article about the sand mines along Mansfield Road - those are the caves in the cemetary!

Its the entrance to the bomb shelter and the Gallows Hill Sand Mines. The Peel Street mines came after Gallows closed because of the unstable ceiling.

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=1640

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showth...ghlight=shelter

http://www.28dayslater.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=6131

A friend of mine was brought up in the house on Mansfield Road that used to own those caves. His mother sold the home about two years ago. Any questions I'd be happy to pass them on.

Interesting stuff.

I think the biggest house on that picture was the one that was converted to Flats about 1970.

I was a young apprentice electrician working on it.

My Geography mistress lived in those flats (I went to a party there after I had left school and bumped into her)

My Geography mistress lived in those flats (I went to a party there after I had left school and bumped into her)

Were all the plug sockets still on the walls!

What's it like Beefy having a 'Mistress'. Com'n do tell...... We're all waiting !rotfl!

If I ever went down that route Mrs Frank would cut the 'you know what off' !yada!

There was a bit of a gap (there is supposed to be a three to one ratio regarding girls to men in Nottingham so I had to stay until I'd had my other two, ..........and a couple of some other poor buggers anall)