Deep Shelter on Mansfield Road?

Hiya,

Not sure where I should put this, so i've put it on here and hopefully someone will put it where it should go. sorry.

On Mansfield Road opposite the Cemetary (and almost opposite the white Keepers Lodge on the edge of the forest), on the left hand side as you're traveling into Nottm, theres a stone entrance with stone steps down, it has an iron grill on the front of it with a large padlock on it. Just wondered if it is a deep shelter (air raid shelter type thing) under the road, and if there's another entrance to it and if anyones ever been in there?

Also on theh opposite site of the forest (where the trams go up and down) there used to be old quarries there, and there's supposed to be some tunnels down there. wonder if anyones been in any of them either?

Sorry for all the questions. Would like to get in any of them if at all possible and take some pics. Thank you.

:) Sal :)

know where you mean. I reckon its probably nothing more than a fancy tradesman's entrance for regular supplies to the paltial gaff above as they could be run direct into the cellars and not have to bother the hoy pulloy playing croquet above Be interesting to get the gen off the estate agents though as it's now all sublet

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The entrance.     I’ve posted this before & I apologise for interfering with your ‘Keep One’ & ‘How's Your Day’ & ‘Jokes’ etc, but behind those doors is:  

Been down the peel Street sand mines... There's loads of it, it's pretty deep from the entrance but on some levels you can hear tvs from houses above..... Been down the Mansfield road mine too which c

Hi All,

The one on Mansfield Road is nearly at the top of Mansfield Road, under one of the houses (think they're flats now) and the entrance is a rectangular doorway with a padlocked gate locking it. :) It was a sandstone cave (or mine) and during the war was turned into a deep air raid shelter. Batman, Robsey and Turkey explored it back in either 2006/2007. Someone else then explored the full length of the shelter a couple of years ago, and they climbed over the top of the bricked up section.

Very interested in hearing more about the underground railway station around that area please.

:) Sal

Yep, the Mansfield Road tunnel came out at the top right hand side on the Forest, then the line went under road bridge. The main station building was on the bridge at the opposite side of road, (that building was only demolished a few years ago, and that newish building in it's place). The line then went under another railway tunnel, there's a manhole in the car park of Clarendon College, (there's loads of manholes, so no idea which one, unless you'd go in there and pop them all. :) ).

Mansfield Road tunnel didn't come out on the forest, it's northern end was in a cutting as was Carrington Station that ran behind the tyre outlet/former garage still there at bottom of Sherwood Rise virtually from Mansfield Road to Clumber Avenue

mansfield-road-tunnel-nottingham_671622N-1.jpg

The Northern portal of Mansfield Rd Tunnel, St Andrews church spire can be seen above it, between that and the tunnel mouth is a wall, behind that was mansfield rd

carringtons.jpg

looking north, the college building seen on right gives position of line, station etc

The bottom picture is the second tunnel, the Sherwood Rise. Just behind where the cameraman is, is the station, the station building is behind the cameraman. The station building is on the bridge on the roundabout with Mansfield Road, Gregory Boulevard. Further south, after the bridge, there was a tiny bit in the top, right hand corner of the Forest Recreation Ground, then it went into the northern portal of the Mansfield Road tunnel, which carried on to the Victoria Railway Station.

At the bottom of the Victoria Rail station, there was another rail tunnel going south. (it's still there, hidden in the victoria centre carpark behind a red door - it was red the last time i went to have a look lol).

Hi Mick,

Good to be back. :) Got excited when i saw the meet up, but can't go as i'm on a coaching course masterclass on Wednesday. Was supposed to be on Monday 29th till they changed it. :( Hopefully will get to another one soon.

:) Sal

This was the station entrance/booking hall/station house, later a shop/private house, it was not on a bridge but at the side of the road, from the left side of it an access lead to the up side platform with a bridge over to the downside, Mansfield Rd Tunnel lead direct from Victoria Station to Carrington Station with no other openings or portals, when the tunnel was being dug out there was a shaft down to it for spoil removal which still forms the grass covered slope just after the forest centre road, the tunnel other end of victoria centre is the Thurland Street Tunnel leading to Weekday Cross Junction. I have walked through all 3 tunnels

carrington1-2.jpg

This was the station entrance/booking hall/station house, later a shop/private house, it was not on a bridge but at the side of the road, from the left side of it an access lead to the up side platform with a bridge over to the downside, Mansfield Rd Tunnel lead direct from Victoria Station to Carrington Station with no other openings or portals, when the tunnel was being dug out there was a shaft down to it for spoil removal which still forms the grass covered slope just after the forest centre road, the tunnel other end of victoria centre is the Thurland Street Tunnel leading to Weekday Cross Junction. I have walked through all 3 tunnels

carrington1-2.jpg

trying to get my bearings - what stands there now?

Ah i thought that might be where it was thank you.

Since i've been a member on Nottstalgia I've grown more and more interested in the old train lines around Nottingham and the stations. (My daughter thinks im sad as whenever im driving, im pointing out bridges etc). I was born and brought up in Hucknall and although there was (i think) 3 stations in Hucknall, i never ever went on a train as a child as i was lucky enough to have a mum who drove her own car, so i never took any interest in trains at all.

What would be really good is to see a map of parts of nottingham as it is now, but overlaid with the old lines. Do you think such a thing exists?? I just find it difficult trying to imagine where they all ran.

yes you are right with the Hucknall stations, it had 3, 4 actually if you counted Butlers Hill on The Great Northern which closed in 1931. The existing Hucknall station on The Robin Hood Line was Midland, near to that the GNR ran with a station on same road whilst The Great Central Station was on Watnall Rd just Hucknall side of Farleys Lane

I can place the one on Farleys Lane easily as its where the doctors surgery now stands, and of course the existing station but the third one im not so sure about. would it have been nearer to papplewick lane?

I can place the one on Farleys Lane easily as its where the doctors surgery now stands, and of course the existing station but the third one im not so sure about. would it have been nearer to papplewick lane?

just before the station hotel coming from the byron, used to have a wooden fence there and open grass area, not sure if still thus

just before the station hotel coming from the byron, used to have a wooden fence there and open grass area, not sure if still thus

Yeh they've built bungalows on there now. thanks for the info

• 10 years later...
On 12/30/2006 at 8:40 PM, plantfit said:

the entrance being towards Peel street

The entrance.

Ev4qfr1XEAElPlB?format=jpg&name=4096x409

I’ve posted this before & I apologise for interfering with your ‘Keep One’ & ‘How's Your Day’ & ‘Jokes’ etc, but behind those doors is:

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, radfordred said:

I’ve posted this before & I apologise for interfering with your ‘Keep One’ & ‘How's Your Day’ & ‘Jokes’ etc, but behind those doors is:

That's OK RR no need to apologise. I'm sure those who enjoy a little harmless fun will not be put out too much...   ;)

I wonder where fresh air comes into all those tunnels!  Bit claustrophobic ..

Been down the peel Street sand mines... There's loads of it, it's pretty deep from the entrance but on some levels you can hear tvs from houses above..... Been down the Mansfield road mine too which comes out at back of number 2 St Andrews Road.... Ralph Holmes(cycle/motorbike dealer) used live there.... I married his daughter Sally and she showed me all in the caves and told me how they played in there as kids.... dens n that

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1