I wanted to read about my old home village of Gotham (left when I was six) so put it in google, as you do. Page after page was about the fictional not real Gotham City of batman gubbins, wasn't till about page 5 I found the REAL, NONE FICTIONAL, PROPER GOTHAM. I was very annoyed that a fictional, none real city was deemed more important than a real lovely Notts village. I still go to visit my niece who lives there, still seems a nice place..

And then you get the people who don't pronounce it correctly.

The place colly0410 refers to is Goat-am. I know because I lived just down the road from it for more than 20 years.

Most people don't even know it's a real place, and when they discover it they refer to it as Goth-am, using the Batman pronunciation. The one south of Nottm has never been Goth-am !

Probably, as it's a HAMlet, the real name would be Got HAM. don't HAM's originate from Viking settlements? or were they Norman settlements? Either way I'd say someone by the name of Got gave it it's name.

Someone at QMC where I used to work had never heard of Gotham, she burst out laughing when I said I started school there, she thought I was joking, she lives a Bilborough. I told her about the 'wise men of Gotham' but she'd never heard of them either. I thought all locals new about the 'wise men of Gotham..

• Upvote 1

The cheese rolling down the hill, tell her about that one, "The madmen of Gotham".

Gotham was always known in my time as where bagged plaster came from, it had a couple of gypsum mines and the BPB Gotham works.

I had two schoolfriends from Gotham back in the late 50's early 60's.........Carole Taylor born Christmas day 1945 and Pamela Coppin born November 1945, I wonder where they are now ?...........

When I was an apprentice we re-wired the Gotham school. That would have been about 1964. I later worked with a guy who came from Gotham. I had thought it was well known in the Nottingham area withe wise men, cheeses etc. nice little place, now in the shadow of the power station and EM airport.

I always wished transatlantic flights could get in there it would have saved the commute to London.

# 6. Are you joking Ayup? I've witnessed the cheese-rolling at Brockworth in Glos but didn't know it happened in Gotham, didn't think there were any hills there.

• Upvote 1

Sure Gotham has a hill, a few actually from memory, the cheese rolling was to stop a King from coming to the village hundreds of years back, the King was told they were loony, back then it was thought insanity was contagious. I believe it's been an annual event ever since.

• Upvote 3

#9 Loppy

That was my first school, my teacher was miss/mrs Smith, There was a Mr Naylor, he scared me to death for some reason. It was very genteel in comparison to Trent Bridge where I later ended up when we'd eventually moved to the Meadows after moving around the Country..

• 1 year later...

When we lived at Gotham we had an electric cooker as there was no gas in the village back then, (think there is now though) when we moved to the Meadows (Glapton Road) we had a gas ring as well as an electric cooker, for some reason I was scared to death of the gas ring, later when we got a proper gas cooker I was scared of that as well. I remember Gotham was supplied by overhead electric cables & every time it thundered we had a power cut, Mam'd think the shilling had run out & put a bob in, then when the lights didn't come back on she would look out the back window to see if South Notts bus depot lights were on, then it would be "oh no not again, whinge, moan, chunter." The bus headlights would shine through the bedroom window & my sister would say "the bogey mans coming to get you!" & I'd scream blue murder, lol...

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • 5 months later...

Was discussing the 'wise men of Gotham' & their daft antics with some friends earlier on when I piped up that I used to live there & that's where I started my school life. They fell about laughing & speculated that that's the reason I'm so daft; the cheeky bu**ers. I threatened them with a biffing but they then laughed even more. Humf, so unfair, whinge, moan...

• Like 1

Used to work with a guy from Gotham.  He was a smart cookie.  He understood the workings of the Hoover Keymatic inside out.  He went on to get a degree in 'Linear Mathematis."  I'm not sure I even know what that is!  :biggrin:

• Upvote 2

Is it the ability to do sums laying on your back loppy ?

• Like 1

Was it king John who was due to visit Gotham to collect taxes but if the town or village was populated with "loonies" they were exempt from paying taxes, thats why the villagers made up these stories, or sommat like that,

When I were a kid (about ten years old) we would walk from Clifton to Gotham on a Wednesday afternoon (remember Wednesday half day shopping?) because the sweet shop at the top end of Clifton was closed until five o'clock, by the time we walked there and back with our sweets the Clfton shop was open, they used to open for the evening papers, the things we did when we were young, still, it got us out in the fresh air and we got plenty of excersise so not a bad thing,fond memories of Gotham

Rog

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just wanted to add, for Jill.  JSB probably invented it (linear mathmatics) if the adagio to the bwv 564 is anything to go by.  I was working on the Adagio because the Toccata and fugue are really tricky.  I like adagios because they are nice and slow and give you time to think.  Just towards the end though it gets really awkward with some four finger chords, and mixed half, quarter, and eigth notes, not to mention the footwork.  I doubt I will ever get it.  I've got too much stuff half learned.  I tend to learn the easier bits and move on when the going gets tough.

• Like 1