Trainspotting Live

If you're interested in trains there's a 3 parter starting on BBC 4 tomorrow night (Monday July 11th) at 8pm called "Trainispotting Live" with part 2 and part 3 on Tuesday and Wednesday nights at the same time.

I'm looking forward to it. Notebook and pencil at the ready.. :)

Cheeky sod Cliff! I've set the recorder already. I'll be on the edge of my seat with baited breath.

When I was trainspotting anoraks hadn't been invented (so you can't call me one). It was gaberdine rainmacs and possibly windcheaters.

• Upvote 2

And my sandwiches and Lyons pie were in my school satchel, or my tartan duffel bag until I acquired the obligatory ex army haversack.

• Upvote 1

Last year I drove down to St Helens Central station to see Duchess of Sutherland stop on its way back to wherever with the Cumbrian Mountains Express. I'm only a casual spotter these days and have too many competing interests to get deeply into any.

As I expected, there were a couple of dozen people there with their cameras, camcorders etc. And of course the length of the train meant that the engine stopped under a road bridge just beyond the end of the platform, so the pic was taken while the Duchess was moving.

There was a litle old chap next to me with a very nice camera which I chatted to him about. He had what appeared to be tomato soup all over his face and down his front. And he spoke in one of those 'UFO spotter' voices. " Oh yuss.. well, ayiv got eevery photograarrf I've ever tayken, since noynteen feefty ayt, awl catalogued and filed in dayt awder." On one level that is quite worrying, but on another it's people like him who provide us with a lot of the photographic and film record we have.

Long may he continue!

21710283628_b1b70b82e6_k.jpgIMG_8538 by colin berresford, on Flickr

Col

• Upvote 2

Go to the Severn Valley Railway, awsome!

Was there a couple of weeks ago, 1940's weekend, everyone in Kidderminster and Bewdley got in to the spirit of it all, kid evacueise getting off trains with their gas mask cardboard boxes, spivs and German troops lurking around Kiddy, GWR coaches pulled by a Manor, a whole train of teak LNER carriages pulled by BoB pacific 'Sir Keith Park'.

Going back next week for more!!!!

• Upvote 1

Was somewhat disappointed to see the Black five running bum first....but then if they wish to show it live at that time of the evening it has to be so. Here's that very same engine taken only a few yards from tonight's location back in early October 2014:

IMG_1408.JPG

• Upvote 3

As usual regarding anything to do with railway subjects and the Beeb trying to be trendy, I thought it was stomach churningly embarrassing. Especially the woman 'scientist' pontificating about maths. We want trains for goodness sake !

The only interesting item was the guy on Doncaster station who really knew what he was on about, despite Dick Strawbridge and his animated antics with his little note book the wrong way round. Bring on the next one!

It would have been infinitely better without any of them. Just one knowledgeable presenter interviewing people on say Crewe or Doncaster. The live reports were badly organised to say the least.

I haven't watched it yet but I wouldn't be surprised if TV cameramen still seem to be obsessed with showing close ups of the valve gear and connecting rods of steam locos rather than letting us see the whole machine.

Col

Stick with it. There's only two more to go, and it can't get any worse, can it?

Every cloud has a silver lining, though. I watched it on IPlayer, and found a series of 21 classic railway films from the BBC archives. You've probably seen them all before but so what?

This programme is supposed to be researched I am a little out of touch these days with the railway scene but on last night's & tonight’s programme there many errors. noblue

It's better than last nights anyway.